Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is no temp guage, how do you know if the engine is running too lean and getting too hot, thus reducing the life of the engine.

When I put the bike in my garage after a ride, it heats up the garage for hours. And the engine stays warm to touch for hours and hours and hours.

I have a lazer temperature gun that I could check the temp of the outside of the engine. But what is normal?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The temp light will light up. You can install a gauge pretty easily. My light has come on twice in 110° heat and high humidity crawling in traffic. My gauge has been up to 245°. At highway speed in that heat 219°-221° seems to be about normal for mine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The temp light will light up. You can install a gauge pretty easily. My light has come on twice in 110° heat and high humidity crawling in traffic. My gauge has been up to 245°. At highway speed in that heat 219°-221° seems to be about normal for mine.
I have had a similar situation in 100+ degree temps, while lane splitting through stop and go traffic. A bit dissapointed. I wouldn't worry unless the light goes on for over 5 minutes or so. At least that is what the dealer told me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I get back from a 30min ride, I take out my Lazer temp prob and measure the engine temp of both cylinders just under the fins. I get 230F on the back cylinder and 212F on the front. Is this normal. I also notice that the left exhaust gets dirtier (black) at the opening than the right one.

Im wondering if I have an imbalance going on?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts