Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello v- roders.
I just got an 05 VRSCa ( my dream bike)馃槵.
Yesterday, I had an issue with gas/engine. Engine shuts down when I reached 1/4 gas (per instrument panel). It can be restarted immediately and runs a little more (maybe 1/4 mile) before shuts down again. I restarted and were able to reached a gas station and filled up.
Today I ended close to the 1/4 thank again (gas light haven鈥檛 turned on yet). Tomorrow I will know for sure if the issue will be happening again.
Does anyone know what can be causing this?
Thanks

Registered
Check the fuel pipes inside the tank for splits. They are very prone to this. You can very often see a spray mist inside the tank if you take the cap off while it is running when the tank level is low.

Premium Member
So what is the actual fuel level in the tank when the engine dies ( when displayed as a 1/4 tank remaining ) ? And how much fuel to top it off after it dies ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what is the actual fuel level in the tank when the engine dies ( when displayed as a 1/4 tank remaining ) ? And how much fuel to top it off after it dies ?
It was marked 1/4 tank on the gauge. I re-fueled like 1/2 mile after it stops 3 times. It got full with $7 and gas here is $0.93 per liter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the fuel pipes inside the tank for splits. They are very prone to this. You can very often see a spray mist inside the tank if you take the cap off while it is running when the tank level is low.
What pipes? I can only see the hole to put gas on the tank.
Thanks

Registered
Sounds like your fuel sensor isn鈥檛 working. $7 at .93 is 7.5 liters. I believe an 05 V-rod has 14 liter tank.

Registered
Don't worry about the fuel gauge, that has nothing to do with your problem, people are misleading you. In that schematic above you can see there are pipes connecting the pump to the top mounting flange. These very often go hard with age and split. You can usually see misting in the tank when the level is low if you remove the filler cap. I would pull the pump assembly and check the hoses.

Premium Member
Yea since he confirmed the gauge reading of a 1/4 tank of fuel remaining was roughly right with the amount of fuel required to top the tank then he wasn't out of fuel when the engine quit - that leads to researching the fuel tubes in the tank as coastrider suggested. My T/Blazer SS ran out of gas with almost a 1/4 tank reading on the gauge but guess what - it was bone dry. After a service tech bulletin was done to replace the faulty fuel sender under warranty the problem was fixed. I always use the odometer on my R Model V Rod as the final say on refueling even though my gauge is about perfectly accurate. 120 Miles max leaves a bit more than a gallon remaining of emergency fuel, with the low fuel light on and a red fuel needle as a reminder to go fill up on the next ride, exactly like I did this am. (y) :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys.
It looks like this tubes are not sale separated from the assembly. I haven鈥檛 had the time to take it out and check, so I thought it was a good idea to replace anyway. Do I need to get the full assembly?

Premium Member
Good idea to replace tubes anyway but I would run it low on fuel and see if misting is evident in the tank to confirm. I believe guys have replaced the tubes separately and you can check but the entire assy is often hard to procure. If you can find an entire assy it would be good to buy it that's for sure especially if you have an 16 year old bike with higher miles those tubes and the fuel pump. fuel level sender are all subject to eventual failure. Otherwise replace just the fuel tubes continue to use the rest of the assy - someone here will chime in as how to do it you can also search the forum for past threads about this subject - (y):cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the replacement fuel pump assembly. Ronnie鈥檚 send email saying that the part have been replaced with a new part # and will also need instrument cluster!
Anyone knows what have been updated and why the need for the new cluster?
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts