Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Harleys & Hawkeyes
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing the following problem and need some thoughts on what might be wrong as local shop and dealer are at a loss. When fuel level drops to half tank or less the and at unpredictable times the engine will cut off for a couple of seconds then back on -this can happen for anywhere from two to five miles. After this has gone on for a time the problem dissapears and on we go. This has happened three or more times on a 1000 mile trip. Any thoughts would be helpful. Bike is a 2004 B with 47K miles and two valve checks with no problem indicated. Thanks

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I have a vague recollection this is due to something moving around in a sock over the fuel pump intake and blocking it. Cured by stapling it back into place.

Otherwise, the pump sounds knackered.

Do a search on sock.

Don't forget, vague memory. Not a definitive answer.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Do a search for the infamous Fuel Flange. Do the testing advised and see if that may be your issue.

Is the bike sluggish under throttle when the fuel is low?

·
Harleys & Hawkeyes
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I passed these thoughts on to our HD service folks (they have no CLUE!). If I ever get my V back I'll let you know the outcome, which may or may not cure the problem!

·
Harleys & Hawkeyes
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel Sock

I had local HD service look up the 04B sock problem. HD had a service notice on a possible problem with the fuel sock, which I would call an initial filter, attached to the fuel pump. Mine had the quarter size circle, as indicated in the notice, where the material had started to break up and was pinched in and a :deal:darker color. The recommended fix was 1) cheap way, replace the sock or 2) replace the fuel pump with new design for the sock - $250. I have elected the later as there appears to be a redesign in the system. Part is on the way and I'll report on if the fix worked or not. Thanks again for the info. by all.

·
Harleys & Hawkeyes
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New Fuel Pump and Sock installed.

Had new Fuel Pump and Sock as recommended in HD service notice. Ran bike hard for three days this Friday and weekend with low fuel and full tank. So far so good. Unless it acts up again I'll not post on this subject again. Thanks to your input as it saved much time and guess work on this problem.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I thought the SB fix was to replace the sending unit?
Does not make much sense to offer a fix for a known faulty part by replacing the faulty part with a new same faulty part

·
Harleys & Hawkeyes
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel sock

SB stated, as listed in my second to last post, two possible fixes
1. cheap - replace sock. 2. recommended - replace fuel pump and sock with "NEW" modified Fuel pump and sock. The new MODIFIED fuel pump and sock were infact different (we compared) than old system. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts