Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
that others may live
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken my '03 apart to have the frame powder coated. Well, everything except actually taking the engine out of the frame. It is not attached to anything, just floating in the frame. Anyone have some useful experience to share about how to actually remove the engine from the frame? Any help is appreciated. Once the frame is done, we'll see how much trouble I've gotten myself into when putting the bike back together.

·
Red Hot Rod
1,084 Posts
Engine comes out the left side of the bike best by rotating it so the front comes out first. If you don't have a service manual and a parts book, I found them both invaluable when putting my bike back together.

·
that others may live
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine removal

Thanks V Red. I had heard there was some trick to taking the beast out. I'm just glad to hear you don't have to remove heads or anything like that. I do have a service manual, which doesn't seem to address this issue (or maybe I just didn't find it), and I plan to get a parts book to aid in reassembly. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Assuming you already have the lower frame rails removed and the engine is supported by the jack I just rotated my frame off of the motor by picking it up from the tail section and rotating toward the front (like a cartwheel) and the motor stays on the jack. Used the opposite motion to reinstall the frame after paint and got it done scratch free :kaz:

·
that others may live
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BPROULXVROD. I'll take that advice too. The lower rails are off and the engine is supported on the jack, so I'll check out your technique too. Do you have any advice on, or did you encounter any issues with, getting your frame painted or powder coated?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Out of curiosity, How heavy is that engine and how many people are needed to remove it from the frame. ANy special tools?

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
I had my bike painted locally so there were no issues. Assembly went pretty smooth too.

No special tools reguired and only one person can do the job. Recommend two people for lifting the motor into a truck or onto a work bench though.

·
Red Hot Rod
1,084 Posts
RustyG said:
Out of curiosity, How heavy is that engine and how many people are needed to remove it from the frame. ANy special tools?
The engine is a two man job unless you are a Gorilla. (I'm not) If you have access to a service manual it will show the proper procedure and tools required. (I highly recommend getting one) There is a stand that is put under the engine if the frame is still on the wheels, but you can use a jack (a wide one, not a bottle jack)

When I put mine together, I had the bare frame and engine sitting on towels on a bench and just slid the engine into the frame from the right side.....that was before I looked in the manual (when all else fails read the instructions) and discovered that it is supposed to go in from the left side.
:whack:

·
that others may live
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RustyG said:
I didn't remove the engine from the frame, I removed the frame from around the engine. I used a combo of VRed's and Bproulxvrod's advice and managed to manipulate the frame from the engine. The engine, by the way, was/is sitting on a motorcycle stand. And my back hurts a bit today from removing the frame last night. Two people would have been a good idea. No special tools.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Glad to hear everything worked out :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,
just looking at this, do i have to remove the rear swingarm to remove the engine?
Id like to have a rolling frame to put into storage while i paint the engine then once that's done onto the frame
And when I do the frame, i presume i get the stickers - model and vin etc from a harley dealer or do i try to preserve what I have ?
Appreciate any help

·
Registered
639 Posts
You have to remove the swingarm shaft and mounts that go through the rear of the engine. Then I reinstalled the mounts and installed the shaft and swingarm back on the frame after the engine removal to keep it a roller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have to remove the swingarm shaft and mounts that go through the rear of the engine. Then I reinstalled the mounts and installed the shaft and swingarm back on the frame after the engine removal to keep it a roller.
Thanks mate i’ve got that far
swingarm off
front engine mount removed
side frames (left side ) removed
how do i go about getting the swingarm “tube” out ? is there a method ?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Thanks mate i’ve got that far
swingarm off
front engine mount removed
side frames (left side ) removed
how do i go about getting the swingarm “tube” out ? is there a method ?
If you are talking the spacer on the left side, it should just slip out with the axle removed and the right mount bracket out of the way. Shift swing arm all the way to left and it will lift up and out. As for engine removal, I made a rolling dolly. Scissor jack under tank area and lower engine onto dolly and turn and roll out the left side. Works well for changing rear engine mount rubbers in frame also.
Ron

Attachments

·
VRSC est -03
2,765 Posts
That Canadian! Showing off goodies.. Again! :eek:
Wish he was my neighbor! (y)

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you were to make up a couple of them I would certainly purchase one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts