Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys & Gals,

I live overseas and will need to rebuild my motor in a year or so. When you are overseas you need to plan WAY ahead of time to make sure that you can import anything and everything that you will need. Can any of you recommend a good quality engine rebuild kit for my 2012 Nightrod Special? I see alot of kits for the air cooled bikes, but cannot find anything for a 1250 cc Revolution motor.

Whoever you recommend must ship overseas (obviously...).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Guys & Gals,

I live overseas and will need to rebuild my motor in a year or so. When you are overseas you need to plan WAY ahead of time to make sure that you can import anything and everything that you will need. Can any of you recommend a good quality engine rebuild kit for my 2012 Nightrod Special? I see alot of kits for the air cooled bikes, but cannot find anything for a 1250 cc Revolution motor.

Whoever you recommend must ship overseas (obviously...).

Thanks in advance.
Contact Scott Fitzgerald. He maybe be able to make up something for you.
http://www.fitzgeraldmotorsports.com/

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Beware of opening the large can of Revolution worms.

When you say " rebuild " what is your intended meaning ? Break the engine all the way down and build it back up with all new parts, bearings, seals, etc ? That's an extremely large expensive task even in the US requiring experience, tooling, quick access to many support items and machines, and Revo Guru guys like Scott Fitzgerald. How many miles are on the engine ? Why do you feel it needs to be rebuilt ? Is it weak ? If the crankshaft and gear shifting are fine and you have just have low compression from valve wear for example you could install new or exchange stock cylinder heads, or even ported cylinder heads and cams from Fitzgerald or Vreeland H-D without getting into the low end. If you need pistons, rings, gear work etc. the case has to come apart and you may be better off just buying another engine in Malaysia or importing it or buying another bike. A 2012 Nightrod is pretty new, Revo engines can go 150,000 miles and more with care so whats wrong with yours ? Is it worn out or you just want more power ? Big difference. I've been setting up for over a year to build an engine stand, get tooling, various pullers, cylinder heads, cams, valves, bearings, seals etc. etc. to do it right - I can't even imagine trying to do all that in Malaysia. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Streetrodracer,
Thanks for the reply, and you are entirely correct in what you say. The situation is this;
I'm 58 years old and have an artificial hip. The Nightrod weighs in at about 660 lbs. At some point I'll need to consider whether to get a lighter bike or rebuild my Nightrod. At the moment it only has about 19,000 miles on it (I am away from home half the time in the oilfield), so any rebuild is still years away. That said, I need to get my ducks in a line and compare the cost of a new BMW R1200R (100+ lbs lighter, gets torque down low, engine maps, electronic suspension, ABS....all the whistles and bells for an older rider, but not really necessary for a 'purist' - okay, ABS is required) compared to rebuilding my Nightrod and bringing her back to 'as new'. Living in Asia you really need to get thing's organized far ahead of time as there is import duties/shipping to consider, you need to actually find a shop who is qualified to do it (the Harley shop in Kuala Lumpur recently changed hands, the previous owners were NOT qualified to take on a project like this).
The parts (bearings, seals, etc... ARE available from either the HD shop here or in Singapore).
I really do not want to get rid of the Nightrod as it is a fantastic bike. I ride it on the highways here (realistically no speed limit) and take it on the twisty jungle roads at least once a weekend (note: a Nightrod will lean MUCH further than you think it will before the tail end of that expensive V&H 2-into-1 touches the road and makes you cringe). But, as I said, I am not getting any younger and it is not getting any lighter.
I hope this explains my situation, and why I was looking for a total engine rebuild kit. There is no sense paying import duty piece by piece and it may be cheaper in the long run to just get a complete kit (or a new engine) when the time comes.
You mentioned ported cylinder heads....do you have any experience with these? Do they make an appreciable difference? Is it simply a 'bolt on' or do you need to change other components? Do you recommend any particular head?
Thanks for the comments and if you read this and have anymore, please do not hesitate to forward them to me!

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Strawhand I just don't see why you would need to rebuild your engine now or in the future - you probably have close to 80 thousand miles of riding keeping the air filter and oil clean before that would even be necessary unless you have a failure of some type. I'm sure the environment is harder on the bike in Malaysia but with care it should be fine. At 19K miles you should be ready to check the valve lash (if not done yet), at the same you could install H-D Stage 2 Screaming Eagle cams or much better a set of Stage 2 Jones Cams and pickup 12-15 Hp but if you are not hitting the rev limiter on a regular basis now you may not want the extra expense that causes. Scott Fitzgerald has some great ported heads with larger valves - you would be best to have him build you a set using heads he has and ship to you rather than take yours off and ship to him. Search the 1130cc Forum High Performance area for info - days of reading for you enjoyment !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts