Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 Night Rod Special. After it gets warm (10 miles or so) and I come to a stop I can hear a slight rattling noise. It is in rhythm with the engine as it idles. It rides normal but the noise has me concerned something could be wrong. Has anyone else had engine problems that sound like this?

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
RATZ! I had a tinny, buzzy rattle and it was just two missing screws. Hope yours isn't serious.

·
TireGObye
309 Posts
do you run aftermarket exhaust? mine did this because there was a small exhaust leak right at the port. just tightened the headers down and it went away. sounded like minor valve chatter, but wasn't.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have an '08 Night Rod Special. After it gets warm (10 miles or so) and I come to a stop I can hear a slight rattling noise. It is in rhythm with the engine as it idles. It rides normal but the noise has me concerned something could be wrong. Has anyone else had engine problems that sound like this?
check for cracks in the headder pipes where they enter the third chamber.

·
CHROME & LOTS OF IT
852 Posts
If you have a after market exhaust and air filter it will be in your throttle bodys this has happen to a lot of people including me, next time you hear it just open your throttle a little and it will go away, all it is is your butterflys in your throttle bodys flaping you will find that with different tempreture days that sometime's you won't hear it at all then some time's it will sound really bad on other day's apparently it has something to do the change of vacuum when you change to a free flowing exhaust well thats what ive been told.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
it could also be the oil breather can thingy in the airbox. mine does that.

start the bike with the airbox off and the filter off and look on the left side for a cylinder looking thing in between the stacks. the top part of that cylinder thing is usually what rattles around for me.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
As with most sounds and noises,finding them is usually a process of elimination.

When the engine gets warm and you hear the noise,stop the bike.With the engine still running,put it in neutral and safely hang your head down toward the clutch cover,while pulling the clutch lever in and out,listen for a change of the sound as the lever is moving in and out.If you get up close to a concrete wall,the sound will be easier to hear.
If the sound changes back and forth when moving the lever,the outer tangs,and or the inner teeth on the clutch plates are most likely rattling in the basket and hub.
Some noise in this area is normal and is usually contributed to hard take offs like drag racing,or having fun when the traffic light turns green.
If the noise is in the clutch,find another V-Rod owner w close to as many miles on as yours and do a comparison.
My 03 clutch made excessive noise in the clutch and I installed the SE basket and hub.It still makes some noise when hot,but I consider it normal.

If the basket gets grooves in it that are not acceptable,you will notice erratic engagement and possible binding when shifting into 1st from neutral,because the outside tangs will get stuck in the grooves.This means time for an inspection and replacement of the worn and damaged parts.
If the wear is excessive,an oil analysis should be able to find unacceptable amounts of aluminum floating around.
Back lash at the clutch hub ring gear could cause a similar noise,but I havn't seen or heard of this problem on the stock V-Rods yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
do you run aftermarket exhaust? mine did this because there was a small exhaust leak right at the port. just tightened the headers down and it went away. sounded like minor valve chatter, but wasn't.
Yes, had the same problem, aftermarket pipes, weird sound, first thought rods, pistons, internally, but fortunately it was the pipes, at the headers, simply tightening them, equally, and no more noise

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations on the 12 year old thread revival for a first post.
12 years old, new to me, and what does it matter to you? I had responded to something, that I was recently looking up, for I had the same issue, apparently years later, doesn't matter, but congrats to you, still a fucking prick, something never change I guess

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Wow, you kiss your mother with that mouth?
Maybe after a beer 🍺 or a shot !! Heard it Kills the Pottie Mouth germs - in any event that's the downside to a 20 year old M/C Forum with millions of posts & threads - this happens to lots of newcomers, it is what it fokin' is - woops !! Time for another beer !! Gotta go - to the fridge - and kill some germs ! Can't kiss Mom though she's been gone 24 years but I'll clean up the pottie mouth anyway - Peace V Rod Bro's - (y):cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts