Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding the new 2006 VRSCR today and the back wheel locked at 55mph. I was cruising along and notice a drop in rpm, the engine locked and so did the back wheel. Pulled in the clutch and coasted to the side of the road.

I bought this new 06 model last Friday. Had 10 miles when I bought it. Had 372 when the engine locked. Called dealer and they picked us up.

I'm guessing that the cyclinders are heating up to where the pistons are expanding and locking the engine. It cranks really slow if you try to start it up. If you let it cool, it fires right up.

They checked out the bike and the technician took it for a ride and it did the same thing to him at 40 mph. He was thinking engine as well.

Wondering if anyone else went through this with a new V-rod.

Nothing like taking a day off to go riding and being let down. It was fun while it lasted. Let me know, thanks.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome, Sorry about your bike. Haven't heard of any with motor trouble except worked BB engines etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow that sounds really dangerous! Good thing your a fast thinker! Anyway hows the oil level? I know your still in the break in mode so the warranty should still cover, will they fix or replace? Good Luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine oil was real clean and to level. They told me worst case, they would overnight an engine (if its toast) and have it back up and running by next friday.

Based on this site, I'm concluding that I got the one bad engine out of the lot. My theory holds true: No matter who its made by, there is always a bad one (engine) out of every so many made.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Wow............I mean WOW! The dealer picked you up?! Holy :stac: that must have scared the :stac: out of you!

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Oh by the way. You've come to the right place, I think. SO, :guns , there is alot of ?? technical info that might ? help out with your :stac: problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just glade it didn't happen going 50mph around a bend. Now that would have been a bad day.:notworth:

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
I don't get the part about it starting back up after it cools down, wasn't there something back in the old days with cars and stuff with vapor lock, but I didn't think it happened anymore?

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That doesn't make any sense. Once a motor siezes, they generally cannot be restarted without a rebuild. I can't think of a situation that repeats the symptoms you are experieincing. Maybe excessive oil pressure from a blocked return passage?

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
hamletexpress said:
Wow............I mean WOW! The dealer picked you up?! Holy :stac: that must have scared the :stac: out of you!

Was it a harley dealer or did you call honda by mistake?

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Sounds like the rings were not clearanced correctly on assembly but that too would have seized the motor. If it fires up just fine there is a remote chance it could be electrical!

·
Registered
546 Posts
nic_a_bod said:
I don't get the part about it starting back up after it cools down, wasn't there something back in the old days with cars and stuff with vapor lock, but I didn't think it happened anymore?
Vapor lock is when the fuel vaporizes too soon, and cant go thru the fuel pump,/carb, cant pump vapor, just liquid.A common enough problem in the 50's n' early 60's. that would starve the engine, but not cause a lock-up. this will be an interesting answer. i hope the dealer will share the info with you. Glad you'e safe.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Did you check your oil????

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it is truely vapor locking then the fuel map code is screwed up in the ecm.

Does vapor locking actually lock the engine hard enough to lock up the back wheel at 55mph? I have a little trouble believing that, but who knows!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Sounds like the engine seized do to lack of oil

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
plus it was repeatable. Engine approached siezure once warmed up. I would think codes should pop up regarding temp? Poor oil circulation or massive overheating? Whatever, I would want to see the innards because there is no way damage wasn't done. I'm offering the entire 2 cents here.

·
Scott Whitney
1,211 Posts
A few have had the screws back out of the oil pickup in the bottom of the motor, which then falls off and you get no oil flow. That would result in a seized motor.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts