Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
The Hawk
3,774 Posts
You might try completely disconnecting the battery, wait a few minutes then reconnect and see if it fixes it. Also, it might be worth it to replace the 2 relays to make sure the system is getting proper voltage. They are cheap and quick to replace.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
715 Posts
You might try completely disconnecting the battery, wait a few minutes then reconnect and see if it fixes it. Also, it might be worth it to replace the 2 relays to make sure the system is getting proper voltage. They are cheap and quick to replace.

Harley had it and seem to think it had mechanical issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

One of the issues I had was a bad positive battery connection, it was causing the bike to have issues starting. When I fixed that issue last week the bike was unplugged overnight. I will however try replacing the relays at some point as well

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
One of the issues I had was a bad positive battery connection, it was causing the bike to have issues starting. When I fixed that issue last week the bike was unplugged overnight. I will however try replacing the relays at some point as well
Disconnecting the battery have very little effect on the HD ECM other then possibly adaptive trims, even then, I'm not sure the EPROM chip is cleared with a disconnect.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Low voltage however is a BIG problem with computers so also check voltage while it's running during the O/P check plus remove & re-clean top engine ground connection prior to restarting it. If the lower ground was disconnected and the upper ground was high resistance and the battery positive terminal was not passing amperage I'm wondering what the Delphi ECU/ECM was seeing for input voltage while the battery connection couldn't provide enough amps for the starter - it had to be way low - if low enough it could have damaged it or caused it to go into a limp home or a protected minimum operating fuel & ignition schedule, or low voltage may have just scrambled it's electronic brain. As mentioned earlier a swap in good Delphi ECU/ECM would eliminate that possibility if oil pressure check is OK but I'd still check the crank position sensor it's just inboard of the stator cover and depending on what was used to guide the cover into position against the magnetic pull it could have been hit or partially damaged - check all wires, connectors, cables, clean grounds first. Having absolute known good items is the secret to troubleshooting, not dreaming up possibilities - establish the know good items then expand into the possibilities - not the other way around.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
My PV came in today and I did a log and sent to Ron for analysis. I don't know too much about reading it but the bike did go to near 6000 RPM when I started it to take the log. So I guess I should specify ive never tried to take it to 6k when starting the bike in the garage, just when riding it, it has always felt sluggish since I reassembled it and would always just cutout at 4k and not go any higher on RPM, to go faster I have had to shift up and then once again stop at 4k RPM. Ive never made it out of third since reinstalling the covers and normally at that point it is extremely hot and I just head back to the garage realizing it isn't fixed yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Streetrodracer, when looking at the log I checked the voltage and it looked very good, over 12-13 volts the whole time the bike was running. As I was stating it did hit 6000 RPM on the tach while I was running the log, it just wont go over that when riding. Next step is to check oil pressure on Monday when my adapter comes in.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Sounds good Lapoza so yea I'm thinking IF any damage was done to the installed tune and/or the Delphi ECU/ECM it was when you had the starting issue and the bad positive battery connection - that's when it received probably very low voltage so the fact the voltage is OK now is good news and makes sense. So yea with no load it revs up higher just not under a moving load on the bike - that also makes sense, I thought it wouldn't get past 4000 Rpm static but either way obviously that's a sign it's not getting proper fuel or speed signal for the engine to accelerate. So did you ride it then after your static PV log and did it go over previous 4000 to 6000 Rpm now ? When I bought my R Model it wouldn't rev past 6000 Rpm, it would stutter and fall on it's face - I told the seller no sale if we couldn't fix that with the Dobeck fuel controller - I thought it was lean but actually it was pig fat rich and that was the problem, caused by removal of open pipes and install of the stock exhaust system by the previous owner, who didn't re-trim pig rich fuel tune. Adjusted it, presto - right to 9000 Rpm, so fuel scheduling can definitely cause these problems - if I had to guess I'd say yours sounds very lean due to overheating also but timing could be improper as well - correct the loaded tune, see what you got, go from there. Clean the big ground and check all connectors & wiring ( if you haven't already ) for another couple good known items. I think you're closing in on the problem. (y) ;)

81 - 88 of 88 Posts