Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

181 - 188 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Have you excluded bad injector possibility? Even there is good psi in the fuel rail injectors might behave badly. Cleaning the tip does not help if it is clogged inside.
I hooked them up to carb cleaner through a pressurized line and then applied voltage, both sprayed nice pattern.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I hooked them up to carb cleaner through a pressurized line and then applied voltage, both sprayed nice pattern.
Ok. At least that ensures that they are not completely clogged but injectors are PWM driven by the ECM and 100% correct operation can be verified only with suitable flow bench. However it does not sound that the problem is there.

Setting up additional lambda meter is bit hard from the open exhaust end to show correct values but maybe doable.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Again guys this problem started at a maintenance event with the R & R of the covers -- unless it's an amazing co-incidental failure of something completely unrelated to that I'm still thinking something was damaged, disturbed, or introduced into the oil or fuel that caused the root problem. There is evidence of oil pump plunger piston damage, soon to be replaced, so hopefully that will peel back the onion another layer. Hopefully the oil spray jets for the pistons aren't clogged like krRob says that would be a bitch. I keep thinking about the smoking battery terminal problems he had and the possible effect on the operating brains in the ECM but hopefully the new sensors will rule that in or out - sounds like a difficult operation to marry another ECM to the engine like Ron says but that might be the fastest way forward if the oil pump & sensors don't fix it - Stay Tuned -

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
New oil pump came in today from Surdyke. I think I remember someone saying to disassemble it and lube it internally before installing but I can't find the post. Anyway tonight I plan on installing that but I still have a broken bolt in my throttle assembly where the IAC bolts snapped off, and the used one I bought off of eBay has a bolt snapped in it as well that I didn't see in the crappy pictures they had. Hopefully I can test it again by the weekend. Going to go slow and be meticulous to make sure I don't forget to attach something when re assembling

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Lapoza - I don't think you would need to disassemble the new oil pump, that was for the old pump that you had apart before reassembling it - with the new pump just fill it with engine oil or engine oil & assembly lube mix - also you can turn the engine over with the starter and the fuel pump fuse out ( to allow it to turn over without it starting ) after install to prime & to pre-lube the pump and engine - not sure what to do about bolt snapped off others here probably have experience with that little problem - keep up the good work !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Lapoza - I don't think you would need to disassemble the new oil pump, that was for the old pump that you had apart before reassembling it - with the new pump just fill it with engine oil or engine oil & assembly lube mix - also you can turn the engine over with the starter and the fuel pump fuse out ( to allow it to turn over without it starting ) after install to prime & to pre-lube the pump and engine - not sure what to do about bolt snapped off others here probably have experience with that little problem - keep up the good work !
I've got some bolt extractors, just wish I had noticed it before I spend $40 on one to show up with the same problem I had :/

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I've got some bolt extractors, just wish I had noticed it before I spend $40 on one to show up with the same problem I had :/
Be careful with the extractors. Some have snapped them off in the screw too. Lots of heat on the boss areas of the tb casting where the screws go in is a must.
Ron

·
Registered
739 Posts
New oil pump came in today from Surdyke. I think I remember someone saying to disassemble it and lube it internally before installing but I can't find the post. Anyway tonight I plan on installing that but I still have a broken bolt in my throttle assembly where the IAC bolts snapped off, and the used one I bought off of eBay has a bolt snapped in it as well that I didn't see in the crappy pictures they had. Hopefully I can test it again by the weekend. Going to go slow and be meticulous to make sure I don't forget to attach something when re assembling
If u can get them out w/ extractor, that would be great. If not drill out and tap new threads. Dont think there is enough room for heli coil. So drill carefully. Aluminum is easy to tap. Just have to becareful drilling into steel screw and being thrown off center.

181 - 188 of 188 Posts