Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 street rod periodically sprays oil through the pcv valve into the airbox.After a day of riding,about half of the filter is soaked with oil.The bike is at the dealer for the third time.The first time ,I was told that I may have been keeping the oil level too high.Since then,I have never filled the level above half way on the dipstick,but the problem returned.The shop checked everything out and could not find a problem.I had the oil changed before a 3000 mile trip,and for the first day the level never changed,but by day three the level dropped.When I opened up the airbox ,the filter was again soaked.I completed the trip by washing the filter every night,and adding enough oil to keep the level at halfway up the dipstick.To check the oil,I am letting a hot engine sit for 15 minutes,then holding the bike upright and screwing the dipstick in all the way.My dealership has contacted Harley for technical advice,but their suggestion was that the oil level must be too high.Has anyone here experienced this problem before with a revolution engine?Any ideas other than a faulty pcv valve?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It is normal for oil to vent in the airbox. If you get one that doesn't do it then you have a rare bike. However it should not be enough oil to cause you any noticeable loss of oil in the engine. So if your using oil that is a different issue but oil in the bottom of the air box is normal venting of just about any v-twin motor. The engine does not use a pcv valve as you call it. It has what amounts to a catch can and drain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it normal for half of the air filter to be soaked in oil?There seems to be an actual spray pattern on the filter with two opposite corners and part of each adjoining side being soaked and the other two corners,and the other sides being dry.I added about a quart of oil in just under 3000 miles.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
stubblejumper said:
Is it normal for half of the air filter to be soaked in oil?There seems to be an actual spray pattern on the filter with two opposite corners and part of each adjoining side being soaked and the other two corners,and the other sides being dry.I added about a quart of oil in just under 3000 miles.
1 qt in 3k miles doesn't tell me a lot.

How many miles are on the bike?
What kind of oil do you put in the bike?
How often do you change oil?
When you ride what is your average type of mileage, city or highway?

I don't think it's as much a spray pattern as it is an air flow pattern into the filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike has about 6500miles on it now.The oil is the standard harley 20w-50 synthetic.The oil was changed just before I left.It was changed after the initial 1000 miles,and then again at years end when it had 3500 miles on it.The riding during the trip was virtually all highway miles at 60mph to 75mph.Temperatures ranged from about 50degree in the mornings to over 90 degrees for a few days,and around 80 maximum for the other days.It may be an airflow pattern,but the filter was not just damp.Part of it was virtually soaked after a day of riding.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
stubblejumper said:
The oil is the standard harley 20w-50 synthetic.
IMHO get rid of the Harley synthetic and you will fix your oil use. We have seen over the years case after case of the revolution engine drinking the Harley synthetic oil. Now Amsoil and Mobil 1 v-twin oil seem fine. Even standard harley oil seems fine. Harley synthetic is like water through a garden hose in this engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the airbox open again trying to understand what is really happening,but things aren't as simple as they would seem.The catch can is inside the air filter,and the combustion air comes from outside the filter to the inside to get to the injector stacks.Therefore the airflow is in the wrong direction to carry oil into the filter.Furthermore,the parts of the filter that are staying dry,are those parts that seem to be shielded from the catch can by the velocity stacks.Again it seems as though the oil is blowing from the can to the filter which is against the airflow while the engine is running.Perhaps the crankcase is pressuring up while the engine is running, and then venting the oil when the engine is shut off.It is a strange situation.I will however attempt to locate some AMS oil and see if it does make a difference.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
stubblejumper said:
I had the airbox open again trying to understand what is really happening,but things aren't as simple as they would seem.The catch can is inside the air filter,and the combustion air comes from outside the filter to the inside to get to the injector stacks.Therefore the airflow is in the wrong direction to carry oil into the filter.Furthermore,the parts of the filter that are staying dry,are those parts that seem to be shielded from the catch can by the velocity stacks.Again it seems as though the oil is blowing from the can to the filter which is against the airflow while the engine is running.Perhaps the crankcase is pressuring up while the engine is running, and then venting the oil when the engine is shut off.It is a strange situation.I will however attempt to locate some AMS oil and see if it does make a difference.
Crank case pressure on a v-twin is something you just have to see to believe. Stop and think about what your saying. With a v-8 or v-6 engine everything is balanced so to speak. You can have 500 cubic inches of engine but as one piston goes down another goes up. So you only get crankcase pressure caused by gas escaping past the rings which takes place in all engines to some degree. Now with a v-twin you have 1130cc's that must breath out that vent. You have a single crank journal engine with two pistons, they both go up and they both come down at almost the same time. So what you have is again 1130cc of air that must vent in and out of that vent at a high rate every time the engine turns over. Take one of the tubes off say the front head some time and start the engine, or even leave the dipstick out and start the engine. But be ready to shut it off because your going to get an oil bath because of this flow of air that is coming in and out of the engine.

If you search for oil in the breather your going to find more then likely hundreds of post that ask the same question and hundreds of post that explain it is normal. If your concern is the oil use try switching oil. Then if you still use oil in 3k miles then post the question about oil use again but I think your focusing on one thing you see and overlooking what the cause of the oil use is. Every 1130 and 1250 v-rod engine I have ever checked has oil in the air filter housing, every single one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every 1130 and 1250 v-rod engine I have ever checked has oil in the air filter housing, every single one.
Actually it's the air filter element being soaked with oil that concerns me most.Is it normal for the element to have half of it's surface soaked in oil?I actually discovered this situation when I saw oil running on the front cam cover and down the outside of one of the castings below the air filter housing.If the engine doesn't use excessive oil,and the oil doesn't leak on the engine,I can live with a little oil in the filter housing.This is my first Harley,so I am not familiar with the big V twins,so I am trying to better understand what is normal,and what isn't normal.

·
The Hawk
3,919 Posts
Your small hose inside the air cleaner, bottom rear/right side is hooked up to the catch can and at the rear of the air box isn't it? If that was loose you would get a lot of oil misting. Once the air/oil reaches the catch can inside the filter it normally goes through a sort of course filter that screens out the oil and lets the air out. Maybe the can in yours doesn't have the filter in it? They are not replaceable to my knowledge but I have heard of folks taking the top off the can.

Mike

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Let me see if I understand, now oil is running all the way out of the air filter housing and dripping on the top of the cam cover and then running off the engine and leaking?

Do you have a camera to take some pictures of this 1qt in 3k miles but your describing an oil bath that literally runs all the way out of the breather? Thats through the air filter, all the way down the neck of the air intake and dripping out?

I get the idea you just want to argue about the oil in the breather. I'll stop offering you advice at this point. I told you what you should do if you want to curb the oil use in your bike. If your just worried about the oil in the bottom of the breather then take it to the dealer and demand they stop it. Sheeeeesh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not looking to argue at all,just trying to understand what is happening,and what to expect with this engine.You have been a great help in that respect,and I thank you for taking the time to provide the information that you have.The first time this happened,the oil was both inside and outside the filter and was leaking out the bottom of the airbox.It wasn't coming out of the air intake horn,but was leaking through the airbox somehow.On my last trip,the oil was only inside the filter but was slowly seeping down the side of the intake manifold casting below the front injector assembly.This was a slow seep and It was not nearly as bad as the first incident,probably because I opened up the airbox and cleaned out the oil before it could pool as much.It looks as though it was seeping through a gasket below the velocity stack.The bike is at the dealer for the third time,but since I live in a small city,and they sell few v-rods or street rods,they aren't overly familiar with the situation with these engines.The next closest dealer is almost 300 miles away,so my options are limited.I will definitely take your advice and try AMS oil and see if that solves or at least reduces the problem.Again ,thank you for taking the time to respond.As I said ,this is my first Harley,and I do have a lot to learn about them,as they are obviously much different that the previous bikes that I have owned.Have a good day.

·
Ponygirl
38 Posts
Oil consumption

I use HD synthetic 20-50. Had my 5000 mile checkup and oil change 2 days before going to Sturgis from Chgo (1000 miles). I had to add 1 quart per 1000 miles on this trip. My buddies couldn't believe the consumption. Up until then, I think I've added 3 qts for the first 5k, with an oil change at around 1500. Is this type of usage "normal"? My bike is at Harley right now having this checked out. I know they'll tell me nothings wrong, but I wanted to start a paper trail as my std 2 yr warrenty runs out in Feb '08.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
ponygirl said:
I use HD synthetic 20-50. Had my 5000 mile checkup and oil change 2 days before going to Sturgis from Chgo (1000 miles). I had to add 1 quart per 1000 miles on this trip. My buddies couldn't believe the consumption. Up until then, I think I've added 3 qts for the first 5k, with an oil change at around 1500. Is this type of usage "normal"? My bike is at Harley right now having this checked out. I know they'll tell me nothings wrong, but I wanted to start a paper trail as my std 2 yr warrenty runs out in Feb '08.

Do you baby the bike? From all I've heard beat the piss out of it from the start to get the rings to seat, and don't use the hd synthetic in it.

·
Ponygirl
38 Posts
Oil consumption

I don't baby the bike, but I did break it in per the book. BTW, I ride an '05 "A" model - if it matters. I don't burn rubber, but I love a fast start and have had it up to 120 on numerous occasions. I've been told (and have read here) not to use HD oil. One guy in Sturgis told me to burn Castrol GX or TX or something like that . . . is anyone else using this much oil???????

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ponygirl said:
First of all either go back to normal hd oil or switch to another brand of synthetic. I have read at least two dozen cases of hd syn3 going through this engine like water through a garden hose. Second the bike isn't broken in yet. IMHO, I don't suggest the GTX oil, buy an oil for a motorcycle with friction modifiers in it for your clutch.

·
Ponygirl
38 Posts
I have 7500 miles on the bike now . . . how long is the break in period???? The owner's manuel leads one to believe it is the 1st 1500 miles or so . . .

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
ponygirl said:
I have 7500 miles on the bike now . . . how long is the break in period???? The owner's manuel leads one to believe it is the 1st 1500 miles or so . . .
Break in is largely determined by the rider. The most critical part of the break in takes place in the first 50 miles IMHO. The metal is so hard that if you baby it during that period of time that the motor doesn't fully seat the rings for a very long time. Keep in mind that is my opinion and not the opinion of Harley Davidson. I know I laid a 30 foot black mark as soon as I was out of site of the dealer with my bike when new and have ridden it like that every day since and my bike has never used a drop of oil at 60k miles now. People that follow the breakin procedure seem to have a much more difficult time curbing oil use in the first 10k miles. If you use syn 3 I think that is the worst oil you could use in the this engine also.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
Also make sure the dealer is putting in 5qts not 4.5. When I had my 1000mi done by the dealer they put 4.5qts in so I thought I was a qt low when I checked it 500mi later til I check the invoice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts