Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Asphalt Cowboy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i'm fairly new to the forum. I've recently noticed some top end noise on my 04 B. the noise happens when i roll on the throttle around 2200-2800 or so. i am looking to repair this myself as i am attending MMI (and since i'm going to school i have no money to pay someone to do it). any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Drew

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
can you describe the "noise".. From your description of "roll on the throttle around 2200 to 2800 rpm" it makes me think that the noise you're hearing is from the engine lugging.
What gear are you in when you are rolling on at 2200 RPM?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I tend to agree. Roll on noise at 2,200 to 2,800 is your engine telling you to downshift.

·
Asphalt Cowboy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would describe it as almost a "chatter". i'm pretty cartain it isn't engine lugging. it will make this noise regardless of the gear or speed of the bike. my first thought was something with the valve train, but i checked lash at the 10,000 mi service and everything checked out.

i hope that helps, thanks guys

Drew

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
the chatter is normal

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
i would describe it as almost a "chatter". i'm pretty cartain it isn't engine lugging. it will make this noise regardless of the gear or speed of the bike. my first thought was something with the valve train, but i checked lash at the 10,000 mi service and everything checked out.

i hope that helps, thanks guys

Drew
so, back to my original question, WHAT SPEED & GEAR ARE YOU IN WHEN YOU'RE DOING 2200RPM?
If any gear other than first, you found your problem.

·
Asphalt Cowboy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is most common in 2nd i dont know how fast that puts me going. i have heard it in 3rd and 4th as well.

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
I am pretty new here also and after about 5 rides it is readily apparent when the RPM's drop much below 3000. Could you better describe the chatter you are hearing? Is it more like your transmission backlash you are hearing from lugging the engine? Or are you hearing the inevitable clutch basket damage that is taking place from lugging your engine? Someone at MMI must be able to further expand the definition of "chatter" as you describe it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
it is most common in 2nd i dont know how fast that puts me going. i have heard it in 3rd and 4th as well.
if you are running at 2000 to 2800 RPMs in 3rd & 4th, then this is the problem. You are lugging this engine. I often lug it in 2nd when I'm sneaking out the neighborhood early in the morning or late at night.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I am pretty new here also and after about 5 rides it is readily apparent when the RPM's drop much below 3000. Could you better describe the chatter you are hearing? Is it more like your transmission backlash you are hearing from lugging the engine? Or are you hearing the inevitable clutch basket damage that is taking place from lugging your engine? Someone at MMI must be able to further expand the definition of "chatter" as you describe it.
MMI is where Harley mechanics come from.

·
Asphalt Cowboy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
take the sensation and of lugging, minus the vibration, and put it in the top end, most notably the front cylinder. to me i would suspect something with the valve train, but i'm only in month 1 of 15 at school and i dont know the specifics of what could go wrong in the top end of the V-Rod.

Drew

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
let's try an experiment. Shift from 1st to second at no lower than 4k rpm, and the same for all subsequent gears, and let us know if the noise is still there.

·
Asphalt Cowboy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will do. i'll test on the way to school tomorrow morning.

just to clarify, i'm not trying to be a [email protected]$$, i just know that it isn't the engine lugging and want to figure out whats going on and take care of it before it becomes serious.

·
Asphalt Cowboy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
91 usually...the highest octane i can find

·
Asphalt Cowboy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shifting at 4k there is no noise in first, no noise in second, but there is still a small ammount in third, it was greatly decreased but pushing the bike to 4k before shifts.

i also spoke to my instructor, Brian Foote, he told me its common for someone in my position to start "hearing things" once they start to learn specifics of the what exactly is happening.

i am going to say that i am hearing things, and wasting all of your time. SORRY!
i didnt hear the noise untill i was in MMI, so go ahead and call me an @ss or whatever

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
it's all good. Most of us consider these bikes a major purchase and find it a bit scary when you start hearing strange sounds and such.
In the stock form, the 1130cc VRSC does not redline until 9k. Do not be afraid to take the RPMs up to that range on a regular basis. On a normal highway/freeway ride, I shift through the gears around 6k. For local cruising my shift points are around 4k, agressive riding it's pretty much bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear

·
Asphalt Cowboy
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright, thanks guys.

Drew

1 - 20 of 21 Posts