Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these yet? And if so do they transmit more engine
vibrations than the stock ones. I looked in search and someone asked
the same question and people started about something else and never answered the question. I thought I read somewhere where Rustyhad bought some.

·
Premium Member
11,206 Posts
Wasn't me. In fact I have been toying with the possibility of replacing all three of mine. I have a persistent buzzing at all rpm's with/without clutch in any gear. can feel it in my handle bars mostly. Also the air box cover and seat.
'
Couple of years ago the buzzing got so bad I took it to my dealer and they replaced clutch and clutch basket. This mostly fixed the buzzing but a little is still left.

Buzzing has been going around for about 50K miles now. I am getting sick of it.

·
Premium Member
11,206 Posts
Gr Custroms $425 for a full set? seems a little high. OEM lists at $114 for the set.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mounts

Gr Custroms $425 for a full set? seems a little high. OEM lists at $114 for the set.
Yeah they are high, thats why I was asking how well they work. I replaced my front mount a few times already. My rears only once in 80,000 mi. That buzzing u are speaking of, u been on that awhile now huh? Could it be a worn chain tensioner shoe? The material is worn out and the chain sound is what u are hearing and or feeling as the chain is spinning on the worn part. Just a guess. I know when I had mines apart the crank chain tensioner has a pretty good gouge in it.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Definitely sounds like rear mounts. A member here, Upnorthbiker recently went through the same vibe situation. Changed the rears and all good again. Me , personally, I'd stay with the OEM mounts. Sure, there are likely some that last 50 years but it's 50 years of more vibes then what the OEM will have. I'd only go that way if it was just a racing bike, not a daily driver.
Ron

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I agree on the mounts. I thought he has replaced them already. And u would have thought Harley would have found it when they were working on his clutch. Anyway guess I will keep my oem mounts. Dont want to cause any more problems.

·
Premium Member
11,206 Posts
The last time I replaced the rear mounts was April 2012 and about 105,000 miles. Front mount replaced since then. Bike now has 185,000 miles on it. The vibration has been there for so long I can't remember when it started. One of those things that creeps up on you. One day you wake up and there it is.
'
Anyone know how to replace the left rear without removing the engine?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rusty remove the swing arm. Just support engine and frame,slide swing arm back. Of course u have to remove caliper. Un bolt bottom shock mount and remove belt. Its a little tricky going back together. But thats the way I know. With that many miles u need to check chain tensioner shoes also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts