Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am sitting on the side of the road about 10 miles from home. Came around a left hand sweeper, footpeg grinding away, and as I started straightening up, I jumped on the throttle. Passed a truck on this little two lane, and let up to get back to cruising speed and the rear wheel locked up solid. Grabbed clutch and kept upright. But smoke coming out of the oil dipstick well tells me its going to be a complete teardown at this point. At least I didn't go down, right?

·
Frank
4,314 Posts
Damn, RJ, I hate to hear that, but I am sure glad you were able to keep it upright.

Could be a number of things. First thing to do is have a peek down the throttle bodies to see if you have any valves stuck open from debris, such as the butterfly shaft.

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
WOW, glad you kept it upright.

·
BoostJunkie!
85 Posts
Dang, that could have been ugly, glad ya kept it upright.

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I apprecaite bigbore's help getting the V-Rod back home. I'm going to have to clean the garage, I guess and get the bike torn down. Maybe this week. Right now, it'll sit in the garage mocking me. I just have to remember to count myself lucky that I didn't put it down today. Skid mark was pretty impressive, both on the road AND in my shorts!!

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
The driver of the truck you just passed must have been thinking the same thing you were: WTF?!?!?!? Glad to hear that you weren't hurt. Lucky it didn't happen moments before when you were doing that "peg dragging corner" or you'd lost it for sure.

Once you start your dissection you'll have to keep us posted as to what went wrong. Odd that it happened so fast and apparently without any warnings like grinding sounds or misfires. Just glad to hear that you came out of it O.K. Go into the repair job with the "Six Million Dollar Man" attitude. You can rebuild her better than she was before: better... stronger... faster.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Thanks guys. I apprecaite bigbore's help getting the V-Rod back home. I'm going to have to clean the garage, I guess and get the bike torn down. Maybe this week. Right now, it'll sit in the garage mocking me. I just have to remember to count myself lucky that I didn't put it down today. Skid mark was pretty impressive, both on the road AND in my shorts!!
Glad you weren`t hurt on the slide,keep us posted it sounds odd that it happened without warning.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
rj,
That really sucks, but I'm glad you walked away from it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Leave a box of zip lock bags and a sharpie in your garage, and I'll start taking it apart for you. How hard can it be? I already made a custom 13mm wrench.:)

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
That's about what I did, sharpie and ziplock... Just ask Lane and RSC they had to try and read my hand writing lol

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RJ any idea what the next motor will be?
It'll depend on how the motor looks. When I can crack it open, I'll know for sure what needs to be replaced and I'll check the slush fund and see how far I can stretch it. My wife's 1350 is a nice running motor. ;)

It's kind of funny. My wife and I were talking last night and I asked her if it would be okay to buy a project V Rod. We decided since we have plans for the house, it's probably not a great time to do that. Guess the V-Rod Gods wanted me wrenching on something this season after all!! LOL.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts