Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 vrod with 71 miles when I turn the key I get a engine light for 5 seconds then goes out, when I start get engine light for 5 seconds and goes out ,is this normal ?

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
When you turn the key on and the ignition switch on run<the light stays on because the pump is priming the fuel system.I've been told not to start engine until the light goes off.A possible lean condition for a few seconds.If it goeon when you are running the bike then you have a problem somewhere.Ceck out the "reading codes" thread.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Shelton,

I think the light coming on again after the bike is started indicates and old code in the system. Go to the Reading Codes section, like Vinny said to see how to recover the code. Only when the light is flashing or staying on all the time do you need to worry.

·
AMF
423 Posts
Have you installed a PCIII ?? Unplugging the ECM connector will set the light the first time you turn the bike on (should go out within 5-10 seconds). Also, having the air box cover off and forgetting (did I do that ?) to plug the sensor back in before starting will cause the light to come on as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The check engine icon lights up for 4 seconds during the diagnostic part of the ECM boot-up when the ignition switch and kill-switch are turned on. When you crank the bike, sometimes the battery voltage drops enough to restart that process so the light comes on again.... for 4 seconds... not to worry. If there is an actual problem code (DTC), then the light comes BACK on for either 8 seconds or permanently, depending on if the code is historic or current.

A seperate process is the ECM activates the 'system relay' for 2 seconds which operates the fuel pump... when the key is first turned on to pressurize the fuel rail for starting, but not to operate the pump needlessly if the bike doesnt get started right up. Then when the Crankshft Position sensor (CKP) tells the ECM the bike is starting, the pump gets turned back on.

Hope that helps....... relax bud. :mrgr:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
HawgDoc said:
A seperate process is the ECM activates the 'system relay' for 2 seconds which operates the fuel pump... when the key is first turned on to pressurize the fuel rail for starting, but not to operate the pump needlessly if the bike doesnt get started right up. Then when the Crankshft Position sensor (CKP) tells the ECM the bike is starting, the pump gets turned back on.
Thanks for that info I didn't know that the pump turns off.I just thought that it run at at lower psi,until the crank sensor tells the computer.I also thought just the injectors wouldn't spray until the CKP is triggered.
Thanks again. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts