Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm a newbie, so I apologize if these are silly questions. My engine light comes on when downshifting, or coasting (in gear) mainly in 2nd or 3rd. When I get back on the throttle, the light goes out. I didn't have any issues when riding in Arizona's heat, but am now in Washington's cooler weather. Is that a consideration? I also have an intermittent issue with it wanting to die at or nearing a stop. Not always, but it's a pain in the rear when it happens. Related? I don't get the engine light before it dies, and sometimes it will compression start if it happens on a corner, not a stop.

I appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
First- pull codes. Plenty of threads on here describing how using the trip reset button. There are also some very good code definitions listed here as well. Second, the stalling- there have been issues with the idle air control sticking causing a stall at idle.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hey, I'm a newbie, so I apologize if these are silly questions. My engine light comes on when downshifting, or coasting (in gear) mainly in 2nd or 3rd. When I get back on the throttle, the light goes out. I didn't have any issues when riding in Arizona's heat, but am now in Washington's cooler weather. Is that a consideration? I also have an intermittent issue with it wanting to die at or nearing a stop. Not always, but it's a pain in the rear when it happens. Related? I don't get the engine light before it dies, and sometimes it will compression start if it happens on a corner, not a stop.

You don't say what year your bike is, but the later ones have a switch on the clutch lever and if you coast with the lever pulled in it will generate a code and put the light on. As said, check the codes. If you see B1154 that is the clutch switch.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
You don't say what year your bike is, but the later ones have a switch on the clutch lever and if you coast with the lever pulled in it will generate a code and put the light on. As said, check the codes. If you see B1154 that is the clutch switch.

Likely an IAC issue that might be related to the VSS. Pull the code
Ron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Likely an IAC issue that might be related to the VSS. Pull the code
Ron
Thank you all so much! I will figure out how to pull the codes, and go from there. I realize I did forget to include the year, it's a 2005. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts