Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an engine guard on their bike?
Comments on installation, Instructions, degree of difficulty, fitting frustration factor (fff), etc. etc. would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Yes, I have one on mine, dealer installed it when I first got my bike. From the looks of it, it doesnt seem very difficult to install. As for usefullness, I wouldnt be without it, besides protecting things in case of accidental dropping of bike it makes for a great place to hang the additional fog-lights.

just my .02

·
Registered
100 Posts
I installed the kit on my V-Rod late last year. It was not too hard - if I can do it, anybody can. I added the H-D driving lights to it since then. They really put out more light than just the headlight. I would recommend both items.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's, managed to install mine without to many problems over the W/End.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Which driving lights did you select for the guard, part # etc. Was it easy to install and are they always on?

Michel

IndianaSteve said:
I installed the kit on my V-Rod late last year. It was not too hard - if I can do it, anybody can. I added the H-D driving lights to it since then. They really put out more light than just the headlight. I would recommend both items.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Michel,

I used the "Engine Guard Mounted Fog Lamp Kit" P/N 68913-98B from Harley. They are pretty easy to install. I modified the hot wire connection that was supposed to be spliced into one of the wires going to the low beam inside the headlight assembly, however.

The 'color' and quality of the chrome are a perfect match for the Engine Guards. I found some 'chrome' 7" wire ties to hold the wires as they ran from the lamp assembly along the bottom of the guard to the center of the bike. They had included black ones in the kit but I thought for the two needed on each side of the guard, the chrome ones looked better. I know I could have drilled holes and run the wires through the guard but I didn't want to compromise the strength of the guard. The only thing about the Fog Lamp Kit is that it is designed as a multi-fit product and, therefore, has more wire than you need for the V-Rod configuration. You will end up with a wad of wire and components just in front of the stock air intake unless you do some trimming of the wires. Not a big problem but worth mentioning.

I'm really happy with the lights and use them day & night. I just want to provide every opportunity for others to see me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts