Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read about this a few times, and finally found a few pictures. I like the idea, and my bike is currently getting a fair amount of work done right now. I have been considering doing the thicker, 1/2" or 1" deeper oil pan. I want to learn more about the engine brace. It's been mentioned a few times with little actual data or useful info other than it helps hold things together.

Currently my '08 DXA is stage II via SE cams, the SEPST, VH comp. It's getting the Rizoma front end treatment right now, to hopefully aid in more stability. I would like to add a major power adder soon, I want to see triple digits in the torque, and get the HP above 160. The brace sounds like it might be a good idea but I want to get schooled on all the info available for it.

Are there other ways of straightening the engine? I understand the brace can be put in with out having to disassemble everything. It would make sense to do it with the oil pan.

Thanks to anyone who can give me more info.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Take look at most of todays automobiles.Most every engine-trans combo have been made to bolt together as a unit.There are gussets,girdles and braces at almost every critical flexing point on the combination.This is part of the reason today's engines will out last the rest of the vehicle.

IMO,you cannot go wrong with more stability as far as keeping distortion down to a minimum.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Take look at most of todays automobiles.Most every engine-trans combo have been made to bolt together as a unit.There are gussets,girdles and braces at almost every critical flexing point on the combination.This is part of the reason today's engines will out last the rest of the vehicle.

IMO,you cannot go wrong with more stability as far as keeping distortion down to a minimum.
LS motors from GM use a 6 bolt main cap system. Several others did this years ago. I agree the strongest part of a car is the motor trans combo and together they are very stable.

40 year old trick was to find sevral blocks weigh them and use the heaviest one thinking it was stronger. Heard claims of big block chevys having a weight difference of a few pounds. Now we know that design had alot to do with that. Like some 396 blocks were simeesed while others werent. Stonger yes but no stonger than a 454. Same reasons racers were useing 2 bolt blocks and converting to spalyed caps strong bottom end.

When I built my Shovel, rather than useing a engine to trans brace to keep the open primary from comming off I used a 1/2 in steel plate to make my trans mount. Much stronger than the stock stamped one and made the frame more rigid. I have not thrown a belt yet.

The bottom end girdle reminds me of the stud girdle for the valve train. Works very well. Yet I would still rather have shaft type rockers.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
We should be producing a batch of Engine Braces VERY soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts