Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the 3 bearings in the rear wheel setup on my 14' NRS. Among a bunch of other stuff. I figure I may as well change the rubber cush drive. Has anyone used the Energy Poly coupler? Results? Or should I stay with a factory rubber one?

I am also changing to a Fitzgerald's 26T front pulley as one of the many upgrades I'm doing right now. I assume it will make launches a bit more forceful so don't want to go with Poly if it's gonna be rough on the drive setup.

Thoughts? I found NOTHING in my search on this.

·
VRSC est -03
2,257 Posts
Will do on my project. Collecting dust at the moment. Some has converted to chain & sprockets without complaints. Did engine polybushes year ago, came out ok, no noticable vibrations..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to have my rear wheel off to change the bearings. Not sure how long the rubber cush lasts and would like one on hand just in case. Plus I'm slapping a 26T front pulley on as well. I figure the launches will be much more forceful on the cush drive so am asking for opinions on the poly coupler rather than the rubber.
So little info out there on this, kinda shocked.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
I don't know for a fact, but I would think that the poly drive would hook better in the 60'. Can't think of any other reason to switch from rubber.

·
Premium Member
11,202 Posts
My Cush drive has been in existence since 2007. I have 168,000 miles on it. No issues to date but I am a conservative rider. No 7000 rpm launches for me.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The poly will never deteriorate, does not retain dirt, etc. I did the testing for them. It transmits less high frequency vibrations and retains its pliability.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
That was my assessment from before & after install. I did put in the poly motor mounts as well, so it might be tempered by that. However, I also have an extended swing arm that would create greater leverage against the frame.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
To be clear, I wasn't challenging your assessment, would really like to have data on that. Urethane is an interesting substance in regards to damping characteristics.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I put mine in and the damn thing was squeaking like a MF. The spacer was rubbing against the inside hole of the cush and started shredding it (take a look at my other post). I had to disassemble, clean up the shavings, then put some anti-seize on it so it stopped making noise.

I have yet to drive a long distance, but it seems the squeak is gone at least for the time being.

I emailed Energy Suspension with no reply.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So what advice do you guys have before I install my poly Cush drive? I only ordered cause I was getting a metal on metal slapping sound only under acceleration or releasing the clutch or on off on throttle, what I found was the pulley was torquing so much that it was hitting the hub! If you look at the pics of the hub you can see the black marks all the way around where it was hitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
Bore out the center of the poly cush just a touch so it spins rather freely. Then, grease up the poly cush. I think your symptoms are why people have swapped. Some other reasons too online, but it's been a while.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
I also did poly motor mounts. Pita to install, but my factory ones were sagging after 12k miles. No wonder I had so much trouble putting swing arm pivot shaft in.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Red filings everywhere

Problem? Did you open yours up some so it spins freely on the spacer? I bored mine open a tad to it was easy to spin, then greased it. Hoping I have no squealing or other issues.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts