Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What do you guys think, if I remove the end caps, by removing the rivets, will I be able to mount the end caps back on with chrome screws?

I want to take the end caps off, drill holes in the muffler, then put the end caps back on.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
I assume you mean drill the holes for sound?? I would just take them off and V-Mod you exhaust and you should be able to re-use the ends. Make sure you leave enough metal at the end to attach the caps. Then you will need some type of fuel management system - do some searches for more info.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
I took the end cap as you call it off , removed baffles, wadding and have better sound however I lost power due to no back pressure.

Do a search for vmodding exhaust. Lots of info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been looking around for some time, just wanted to try this first to see what it would sound like. Trying to do this for low cost.
I think I will eventually go with some other pipes.

·
Dominus Violatus
208 Posts
End caps and sound

pcJeff said:
What do you guys think, if I remove the end caps, by removing the rivets, will I be able to mount the end caps back on with chrome screws?

I want to take the end caps off, drill holes in the muffler, then put the end caps back on.
Jeff,

I just went this route last night and yes it will work. I used #10 stainless steel screws to mount the end caps back on. I mounted the end caps first, then removed them so I could drill the holes around the perimeter of the muffler ends. Worked like a charm and it sounds great! I was considering changing exhaust systems for more sound, but I'm so happy with it now, i may have just saved the load of cash on the exhaust plus a new fuel management system.

It's louder, but not so loud that I'll disturb my neighbors (unless I'm really trying to disturb my neighbors :diablo: ). Go for it Jeff, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the sound!

K2

·
Dj, Vrodder
182 Posts
Jeff,

I wasn't sure what to do for cheap and I can say doing the V-mod style cut was pretty easy but most of all just about free cept the couple of tools I needed. I also wasn't sure if I would like it because I had never heard it in person. All I can say is everytime I start the thing people turn and look (as if they didn't stare at it before anyway) and I always seem to have a big smile cause it sounds great. Maybe my ears are more deaf than other people, some says its too loud I think its just right. :2cents:

·
Dominus Violatus
208 Posts
Response in PM

pcJeff said:
K2D, did you use a step drill to remove the rivets?
Good luck tonight Jeff, just take your time bro. Measure twice, drill once :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Use a larger drill size and drill the head of the rivets. Then use the same size punch ( as the rivets...1/8 inch I think ) drive out the remains of the rivet.
( When I was sailing regularly, we often drilled and replaced rivets )
Remove the end cap. You can then use NEW rivets to re-install the end caps. I would be leary of using screws to secure the end caps. ( a lot of vibration and heat for screws to stay in place over time !!) By the way the rivets supplied with the end caps are Stainless steel not standard aluminium rivets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts