Not from 'round here
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
I am a elevator inspector.

Been inspecting for 10 years.

That test is okay for those that know elevators.

Most people will not know the answers because thay just get on and ride up and down.

It is funny to see how many people still try to get on the elevator even with the lights turned off.

The article was very well written and to the point. I see this all the time and usually become the bad guy.
I become the bad guy because I have to shut the unit off do to life or limb issuses or non compliant issues.

Thank you for your time and effort and trying to help others out. Alot of owners need to be more informed about their elevators instead of, I don't know ai just called them.

What really gets me is that the code requires the mechanic to detail the service work. So in the comments section all you get is SERVICE.

Rod
S-146

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I use to help build Hydraulic elevators, when I was a welder.
It wasn't a highly rated company. They went out of business shortly after I was laid off!
(I only got 8 out of 10 right!)

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Interesting read and quiz, i don,t agree with several answers though. There are no battery lights in our elevators and only 4 out of 12 units are on emergency power. However it may be due to the type of usage versus code requirements since we are a sports facility. Maryland has odd laws and loopholes.
Anyway, gave me some things to think about when we put our contract out for bid in 2012
We are dealing with Schindler right now and the tech is decent guy who takes good care of us.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Interesting read and quiz, i don,t agree with several answers though. There are no battery lights in our elevators and only 4 out of 12 units are on emergency power. However it may be due to the type of usage versus code requirements since we are a sports facility. Maryland has odd laws and loopholes.
Anyway, gave me some things to think about when we put our contract out for bid in 2012
We are dealing with Schindler right now and the tech is decent guy who takes good care of us.
Battery back up depends on when the units where installed.
1968b rule 204.7a rerquires emergency lighting in passengers cars.

Emergency back up generator power is not condsidered to be emergency power for the lights.

What happens when the generator goes down.

This power has to be there for at least 4hrs.

This is also dependant if the state has adopted the code to be enforced in time of the install.

It does not cost anything to get bids from othe companies even if you are going to stay with what you have. Sometimes this can work to your advantage if they now this.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Most people just get on and ride up and down.
NOT ME! Whenever I get on an elevator I test the emergency bell... I consider it my right to know if it's working properly :D

.... and they don't all sound the same :deal:

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
When we get "bell testers" we generally shut to unit off between floors.

These were installed 13 years ago so I guess the code did not apply at the time.

·
Not from 'round here
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The emergency lights battery pack may be mounted on top of the elevator and the actual lights mounted in the ceiling.(hard to see) Easy to test though... Go to the machine room and turn off the cab lighting breaker/disconnect.
This is an easy upgrade/repair. Contact your current Service Provider or the Elevator listed in my links. They are based in Maryland.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
The emergency lights battery pack may be mounted on top of the elevator and the actual lights mounted in the ceiling.(hard to see) Easy to test though... Go to the machine room and turn off the cab lighting breaker/disconnect.
This is an easy upgrade/repair. Contact your current Service Provider or the Elevator listed in my links. They are based in Maryland.
I am certain there are no battery back up lights in any of our units. I do most of the minor repairs myself including the lights. I will definetly ask our on call tech about it though. I changed out all the 50w pars for 5.2w led bulbs in 10 passenger units and will save about 5k in electric costs over the life of the bulbs. A lot less heat in the cars too. Needless to say I am a fan of led bulbs.
Just wondering though, would the back ups normaly be on the car top or at the light disconnect in the mech room?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Battery packs are mounted on the top of the car or inside the car operating panel.

Emergency lights consist of 2 bulbs.

These lights are designed to shine onto the controls inside the car.

Light can be mounted in the ceiling of the car or in or around the controls.

I have seen round and rectangular lens holding these lights. I have seen just brackets.
They are now using leds.

The in car lights are supplied with its own disconnect.

I have seen these switches/breakers all over the place. Most are in the machine room.

If it is not in the machine room then use a tracer to find it.

What make of elevators do you have?

Rod

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
The disconnects are in the mech room, easy to spot. The lights are recessed with small par led bulbs. Pretty much standard 4 or 5 inch recessed housings with an aluminum trim.
I am completley sure there are no batteries any where. The control panel is internally lit. Could they operate off the door driver back up? They are Montgomery I believe, 1997 vintage.

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
I took that stupid quiz and wrote down the the answers. When I compared my answers to the quizzes The answers I wrote were not the ones they counted. 6 out of 10. Dummy.

Steve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts