Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2008 VRSCD
馃あ
This is perfect for the motorcycle rider who doesn't actually want a motorcycle... and aims to create an oversized scooter/moped?

It's like those "auto stick" thingies that come with some quasi-sports cars that are kinda fast (like 350Z or Charger). It lets people kinda pretend it's a real manual trans car... yet not grind the gears having to actually drive stick. Those crack me up when I get a rental car that has that feature, but I suppose some car buyers pay extra for that too?

Registered
VRSCAW 2010
I would only consider that shifter for a 1/4 mile racer. And only if it really works as a full throttle gear banger.
Could be worth a couple of 100s in your time slip...

Premium Member
I would only consider that shifter for a 1/4 mile racer. And only if it really works as a full throttle gear banger.
Could be worth a couple of 100s in your time slip...
Yes that is what I was thinking too. Clutchless shifting is way better for the streets. Device which cut spark or injectors while shifting. Sensor in the shift linkage.

Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
Yes that is what I was thinking too. Clutchless shifting is way better for the streets. Device which cut spark or injectors while shifting. Sensor in the shift linkage.
So, as I've seen in other threads, you would recommend the air shifter for the 1/4? Not practical for street, though, because the bottle goes empty, am I correct?

Premium Member
No actuator at all. Just device which cut ign/inj for little while when you shift gears with your foot. You do not have to pull clutch lever with your hand after you get going. At least upward shifting goes nice. Of course you can still pull clutch if wanted. These are called Quick Shifters too but I would rather call them Clutchless Shifters to avoid mixup with Pingels etc where is cylinder moving gear lever.

These are useful in the streets too because especially if you have strong springs in the clutch you do not have to pull so many times lever and it is lighter that way. And in 1/4 track it is possible to open throttle and change gears without letting it down before finishline. Well at least in theory.

Registered
yes these are awesome! Scooter/moped my big ol butt. Pull beside me and let me use mine at 9300 rpm. Yes mostly used for drag racing. Although good in normal driving. Also remember it is an option not like you have to use it. Also they have a button. You can hit the button at your convenience and it changes gears. I also use it due to a motorcycle wreck sometimes hard for me to change gears so cruise and hit button no clutch no letting off. Some newer model bikes are coming stock with these. Example a bmw k1600 a cruiser. consistent easy awesome

REVOLUTION !!!
Mostly used for Drag Racing but know of a rider with a artificial left leg that used this system to shift

Registered
2008 VRSCD
...Scooter/moped my big ol butt. Pull beside me and let me use mine at 9300 rpm...
It's not about what works well, it's about the actual driving experience for the vast majority of riders. These pretty much make a motorcycle a kids toy in terms of difficulty. That's a fact.

If you try to say they're 'for drag racing,' you are unlikely to find anyone who wants to race a regular bike vs a totally different class of modification... so maybe you can do time trials on your own or find other push-button racers? Maybe a turbocharged nitro Vespa?

It would be like saying auto-steering cars or autopilot planes could beat a human one since they'd take every corner at Indy perfect, hit all the jetstreams ideal, and never fatigue. I bet an auto-quarterback with a push-button throwing arm could beat Tom Brady too? Well yeah... but that's not the point.

I commence because some clearly do enjoy not having to shift a motorcycle. Personally, the day I ever need shift assist or balance assist or any assist... I might as well start pricing out assisted living? :D

Premium Member
I could easily write a short novel about my QS adventure in my own language but it would not be a Amazon's best seller.

But very long story short. In R-model with mid controls I found it little bit difficult to find proper QS system due to short s-shaped linkage between gearbox lever and the pedal. So there could be more professional systems for the other forward controls with the long straight linkage rod. So I chose Healtech QSE-1 with small ring sensor mainly used under M6 bolts. They are based on strain gauges which are pretty sensitive and can give false indications if foot is resting a bit to lever. However sensitivity is adjustable.

At your own risk take a look at Healtech QS system since there is caveats if not installed and adjusted properly. They could make harm for your gearbox. Otherwise Healtech is very nice with all handy dandy phone applications and bt connections. In V-Rods they are default cutting injectors but I have cables for the sparks too which might be little better for my occasional 1/4 track usage.

HealTech QSE-1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts