Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrical is not my forte' so any assistance is appreciated. The customer's bike is an 07 DX that has been customized somewhat. The latest project performed by a MoCo dealership was the installation of mini-apes in the recent past. When the bike was brought to me to install led lights I noticed the turn signal harness is incomplete. The loom connectors are there but the wires have been stripped back and left bare under the seat. The leads to the rear turn signals are not present. I checked to see what was functioning and noticed the accy fuse was blown. Subsequent checking and more fuses blown revealed that the micro switch behind the clutch lever is causing the fuse to blow. Tracing the wires back reveals that the or/whi (on the switch) is the pos from the fuse box (and branches off into several other pos feed wires) and the red/whi (on the switch) turns into blk/grn at the connector and runs to the ground on left side of the rear head (it also branches off into multiple other ground leads). I don't know if the wire loom has been replaced or damaged - it does not appear either is the case but obviously this is a direct short unless something in the system is missing - to put the voltage to work. The color changing at the connector is weird but nothing appears to have been damaged or changed.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...The customer's bike is an 07 DX that has been customized somewhat. ...

...I checked to see what was functioning and noticed the accy fuse was blown. Subsequent checking and more fuses blown revealed that the micro switch behind the clutch lever is causing the fuse to blow. Tracing the wires back reveals that the or/whi (on the switch) is the pos from the fuse box (and branches off into several other pos feed wires) and the red/whi (on the switch) turns into blk/grn at the connector and runs to the ground on left side of the rear head (it also branches off into multiple other ground leads). ...
The clutch switch should not be connected to the ACCY circuit. The clutch switch just connects the TSSM clutch signal (connector [30] position #10) to ground. The left hand control connector (connector [24]) has 8 wires. Positions #7 and #8 are for the clutch switch.

On the chassis side of the wiring harness (connector [24B] with female sockets) [24B] position #7 should be a BK/R (black with red stripe) wire that goes to the TSSM (turn signal/security module) [30B] position #10 (Clutch Switch).

At [24B] position #8 there should be a BK/GN (black with green stripe) wire that goes to chassis ground.

The only wiring diagram I have that shows a clutch switch is the 2010 version. This 2010 diagram shows an O/W (orange with white stripe) wire at [24A] position #7 (the bar side of the wiring harness with male pins) going to one side of the clutch switch and a R/Y (red with yellow stripe) wire at [24A] position #8 going to the other side.

There’s another O/W wire at [24A/B] position #1 that connects to the ACCY circuit. This is used by the horn and turn signal switches. I think someone mixed up this other O/W wire with the one for the clutch switch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch switch should not be connected to the ACCY circuit. The clutch switch just connects the TSSM clutch signal (connector [30] position #10) to ground. The left hand control connector (connector [24]) has 8 wires. Positions #7 and #8 are for the clutch switch.

On the chassis side of the wiring harness (connector [24B] with female sockets) [24B] position #7 should be a BK/R (black with red stripe) wire that goes to the TSSM (turn signal/security module) [30B] position #10 (Clutch Switch).

At [24B] position #8 there should be a BK/GN (black with green stripe) wire that goes to chassis ground.

The only wiring diagram I have that shows a clutch switch is the 2010 version. This 2010 diagram shows an O/W (orange with white stripe) wire at [24A] position #7 (the bar side of the wiring harness with male pins) going to one side of the clutch switch and a R/Y (red with yellow stripe) wire at [24A] position #8 going to the other side.

There’s another O/W wire at [24A/B] position #1 that connects to the ACCY circuit. This is used by the horn and turn signal switches. I think someone mixed up this other O/W wire with the one for the clutch switch.
Thanks for responding. I checked the routing and the two org/whi wires are opposite of what you have described as being the proper orientation on the handlebar side of the loom. There are no signs that it was altered so there is no way to know what happened. The VIN shows the bike to be a 07 so what is the function of the micro switch in models prior to the 2010? I am reluctant to proceed if the wrong loom (2010) has been placed on this bike and that switch is going to cause more problems.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
2007 Wiring diagram

INterceptor,
Here is a copy of the main part of the 2007 wiring diagram all ex VRSCR.

The left hand control part does have a error in that pins 5 and 8 are reversed. If it still does not look right, I can go and verify the pinouts on the bike and report back to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
INterceptor,
Here is a copy of the main part of the 2007 wiring diagram all ex VRSCR.

The left hand control part does have a error in that pins 5 and 8 are reversed. If it still does not look right, I can go and verify the pinouts on the bike and report back to you.
Thanks, that might be helpful ... it appears that the colors listed on this schematic are different than my wire loom - it's still at the shop so I can't confirm right now. I will look at it in the morning and get back to you. I seem to remember that #1 and #7 were both org/whi but served two different functions and that is where somebody went wrong and switched the two in the harness connector. I will get back to you and thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...I seem to remember that #1 and #7 were both org/whi but served two different functions ...
Yes positions #1 and #7 should be O/W wires and serve different functions as I mentioned before in post #2. I attached a partial schematic showing how it should be connected.

You need to find the wires on the handle bar side of the connector that go to the clutch switch and make sure they are in positions 7 and 8. The R/Y wire shown at position 8 might be a different color on your bike but the others wires shown should be the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes positions #1 and #7 should be O/W wires and serve different functions as I mentioned before in post #2. I attached a partial schematic showing how it should be connected.

You need to find the wires on the handle bar side of the connector that go to the clutch switch and make sure they are in positions 7 and 8. The R/Y wire shown at position 8 might be a different color on your bike but the others wires shown should be the same.
Yeah you were right about those two wires being crossed up. It is beyond me how that happened cause the handlebar side seems to be unmolested but who knows. The red/yel is in the #8 slot. Your help is much appreciated and I will PM you later with final results.

OK after looking at the schematic it shows 2,3,4 to be empty whereas on the bike all eight slots have wires so it must be a 2010 like you stated earlier? I don't have it with me so I will have to look at it again.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
..... OK after looking at the schematic it shows 2,3,4 to be empty whereas on the bike all eight slots have wires so it must be a 2010 like you stated earlier? I don't have it with me so I will have to look at it again.
No. I only included the circuits involving the ACCY fuse and the clutch switch to reduce clutter. I attached an edited version of the schematic in Post #6 with the headlamp wires and HI/LO switch added.

As shown in the edited schematic, positions #2, #3, and #4 are for the headlight switch and are the same in 2010 as they were in 2007. Position #2 should be a Y (yellow) wire for the low beam, #3 should be a BE (blue) wire from the LIGHTS fuse and, #4 should be a W (white) wire for the high beam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.