Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new here and this is my first post.

So my dad worked on his vrod for a bit and took some stuff apart. Now I wanna put it back together to ride it. I prefer not to fix things after someone else takes them apart, but I really wanna ride it.

so I am left with these connectors and don't know where they go, please let me know if you recognize them.

1)

2)

3)

also the check engine light is on and the fans don't go on. I checked the relay and it's good, I also check the fans by connecting them straight to the battery and they both work. Any ideas?

Thank

·
Registered
290 Posts
Don't recognize most of those but the one in the third picture goes to the airbox cover. Take a look at the front of the airbox cover and you will see where it goes. To install it insert the plug and push down on the wire clip that's on top.

If no one else gets back to you I'll look up the other ones tonight after my ride.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
#3 plugs into a hole in the airbox cover.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#2 plugs into #3, which plugs into a hole in the airbox cover.
#2 is already plugged into something, so it can't connect to 3. I think #3 is for high beam, I am not sure though, I don't have high beam on this bike. I think #1 is just unused, I found a cap for it somewhere.

So the fans still don't come on. Where is the temp sensor on this bike? is there a separate oil and coolant sensor? if yes, where are they?

thanks

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
FIRST and foremost, one should PURCHASE the SERVICE MANUAL before disassembling their motorcycle

1) looks like the diagnostics port (unused on stock bikes)
2) IAT sensor which goes into the hole on top of the inner airbox plastic cover.
3) high beam or low beam headlamp plug

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FIRST and foremost, one should PURCHASE the SERVICE MANUAL before disassembling their motorcycle

1) looks like the diagnostics port (unused on stock bikes)
2) IAT sensor which goes into the hole on top of the inner airbox plastic cover.
3) high beam or low beam headlamp plug

I know right! you should have a talk with my dad, he is not gonna listen to me. I always use the manual on my KLR, but since this is not my bike I don't wanna spend $60 on the Harley service manual.
Unless you can convince him to give me the bike :)

how about the temp sensor, where is it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IAT= Idle Air Temperature sensor (#10)

But the idle Air temp sensor is not used to turn on the fans is it?

I found a sensor behind the water pump, it's called the ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE, (part 64 in the image below)

is that the one used to decide when the fans come on?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Yes the ECT is used to let the ECM know what's goin on as far as coolant temps.
Buy the manual.It's only $60.There is thousands of dollars of info in it.
take some time and learn how an electronic air fuel system works and the OBD2 names of the components.This will make any repair on an EFI vehicle much more easier.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
You haven't specified what model and year your bike is. If it is a late model (2007 and newer) there is a fuse box in front of the battery which contains a couple of things

1. Battery Fuse
2. Fan Fuse
3. Spare Fuse
4. Start Relay
5. Fan Relay.

Check the fan fuse If it appears good then swap the fan relay with the start relay and see if the bike will start. If not the relay is bad.

Buy a set of manuals. The H-D manuals are the best and a complete set will cost you about $150. They will pay for themselves the first time you have a real problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You haven't specified what model and year your bike is. If it is a late model (2007 and newer) there is a fuse box in front of the battery which contains a couple of things

1. Battery Fuse
2. Fan Fuse
3. Spare Fuse
4. Start Relay
5. Fan Relay.

Check the fan fuse If it appears good then swap the fan relay with the start relay and see if the bike will start. If not the relay is bad.

Buy a set of manuals. The H-D manuals are the best and a complete set will cost you about $150. They will pay for themselves the first time you have a real problem.
I checked the electronics they are good, so the only thing left is the sensor which I ordered today. I also placed an order for the service manual, hopefully I can get the bike from my dad someday, that way I won't feel bad for paying $60 for the manual :)

thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
A couple of thoughts for you: 1) the fans won't come on until the engine is very warm and needs them to come on. 2) how did you check the fan? IF you went straight to power then you left out the aforementioned fuse and relay.

Knowing what year and model will help, there are some differences.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A couple of thoughts for you: 1) the fans won't come on until the engine is very warm and needs them to come on. 2) how did you check the fan? IF you went straight to power then you left out the aforementioned fuse and relay.

Knowing what year and model will help, there are some differences.
The fan stopped working before the dis-assembly (according to him), so I don't think what my dad took apart had anything to do with it. And he didn't take that many things apart, just the brake line, and some of the switches, which all work now. He said the fans used to work before but suddenly stopped one day.

I forgot to mention the bike's year and model. It's a 2004 VRSCA.

I understand that the fans come on at a certain temperature (over 200 if I am not mistaken), I don't expect them to run all the time, it would have helped a lot if the bike had a temp gauge, but oh well. I let the bike run for a while, it actually gets pretty hot, but the fans don't come on.

I tested the fans individually by connecting them straight to the battery. Also I took the relay out and connected the wire going to the fans (yellow&brown) to the wire having current, and the fans came on (did this to check the wiring). I also tested the wires that go to the temp sensor and there is 5v across like there should be. Also I swapped the 2 relays and the bike starts.

You guys mentioned a fan fuse, I couldn't locate it on the bike, it's not where the other fuses are. I checked all the fuses that in front of the seat (where the relays are) and they are all good. Is there a fan fuse placed somewhere else on this bike?

·
The Hawk
3,852 Posts
The fan issue is probably the fan relay. On the fuse box, just in front of the seat and under the air box cover there are 2 square grey box looking relays that plug into the fuse box. One is the fan relay and one is the starter relay. You can swap them and see if they still work when changed over. They are relatively cheap at around $10 and you can get substitutes at most auto parts stores as they are a generic relay used in a lot of cars, just need to match them up. The fans should kick on at 219 degrees and off at 208 degrees.

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
When the ECM decides it is time to turn on the fans it will put a ground on Pin 2 (White/Red wire). This wire goes directly to the fan relay and picks it. An easy test would be to ground out this wire and see if the fans operate. If yes then the ECM is not telling the fans to turn on. If not then there is something wrong in the relay circuits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for the tips, I do appreciate them. But it seems that my replies are not read. I have done those tests on the relay and the electrical wiring and things are ok, I am an electrical engineer and know at least the basics, although I must admit it's possible that I might make stupid mistakes and your replies only help.

but there is one question I still have (since I don't have the book yet). Is there an additional fuse for the fan somewhere hidden? The fuses that are next to the relays are not for the fan it seems, either way they are all good. But now that I think about it even if there is a fuse somewhere else it should be working since when I ground one of the relay legs the fans go on. So the only thing left is the sensor which I will change when I get it.

One more question:

Assuming that there is air in the radiator like one of you said, the temp sensor should still sense the temperature and the fan should come on eventually, perhaps later than they should, but regardless they will work at some point. Does what I am saying make sense?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Not always If you have any doubts you can access the bleed screw on the top radiator hose via a rubber grommet on the right hand side of the bottom of the air box. Its a allen head screw that you can run the bike to temp and make sure it purges any air locked in the system. Open the air box cover look down at the bottom you will see a black grommet or a hole with a screw on the rad piping...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The vapor lock (if there is one) could be up or down stream of the sensor. Dont ask how I know this lol...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts