Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

"El cheapo" integrated tailight on DX

3K views 59 replies 29 participants last post by  nickbidd 
#1 ·
Just thought i'd post this video clip of the "EL CHEAPO" tailight(with turn signals built in) from clear alternatives....since i trimmed up the DOGS A$$ i had to get some turn signals back there...sure looks alot better!

I know the heavycycles light is a far superior light but I needed something cheap for now,and its a pretty decent unit which does well for $79 bucks total...simple install,without the need for any resistors(but they are included)

here is a video clip...

Dan

Attachments

#2 ·
until it rains and fogs up, gets wet inside, leaves rust looking puddle inside and its real hard to see in the daylight.

i have one too but i think the more expensive one is a far superior product all the way around. and wish i had bought it instead

#3 ·
Looks cool. Thanks for the video. I need to do something on mine but I sure don't feel the like the extended wait time for the heavy cycles one.

#4 ·
keebie said:
until it rains and fogs up, gets wet inside, leaves rust looking puddle inside and its real hard to see in the daylight.

i have one too but i think the more expensive one is a far superior product all the way around. and wish i had bought it instead

Yep Ive heard all the horror stories and took them into consideration....I just couldnt drop 300+ dollars right now for the "BEST" light,and the time wait ive heard is long....Just wanted people to know there is a cheapo out there that does work well for the money....

glad i dont ride in rain as of yet!,thanks for the tip about getting WET back there...weird how it would leave rust as its all plastic.

the nice thing is i can buy 4 of these for the cost of one "GOOD" light...and I agree the HC is best as so many have said on this site...

Dan

#5 ·
ya my bike sits on the street so its exposed to everything, but there is some brown looking splotch of some sorts in mine. and i ride in the rain all the time. if i see it raining i just put my rain gear on and head out

#6 ·
nice way to keep from getting ticketed! I am gonna remove my naligas' de' pero' and this is the tail im gonna use. Oh mine is garaged kept, and if it rains I got a Pathfinder.

Got any vids while hitting the brakes so I can see what it looks like with the turns flashing and the brake on??

#7 ·
Sith1250 said:
nice way to keep from getting ticketed! I am gonna remove my naligas' de' pero' and this is the tail im gonna use. Oh mine is garaged kept, and if it rains I got a Pathfinder.

Got any vids while hitting the brakes so I can see what it looks like with the turns flashing and the brake on??

i gotta say that the light in video really doesnt show up well.....in person and even better in the dark,the brake light is quite bright....and the yellow for turns shows up well...i noticed some cagers following me close today,in the daylight and when i hit the signals he backed right off...so i believe its very visable from behind...especially when at a cager height.....

i really think for the money this is a great deal....and i didnt mention,i got it on ebay....free ship which was at my door in 2 days only USPS.....not bad!

Dan

#8 ·
Put your order in now....it will be some time before you get it. Personally I believe it could save your a$$. My .02. :D

#9 ·
TEJASPECIAL said:
Put your order in now....it will be some time before you get it. Personally I believe it could save your a$$. My .02. :D
wanna lend me the additional $250 for the good light??...LOL

:broke:

Dan

#10 ·
I've got that light and it's been installed for well over a year. I've been out in the rain with it and I wash my bike regularly with water. So far, no problems whatsoever. I'm not denying that there may be a better quality light but I'm very satisfied with mine.

#12 ·
keebie said:

My heavycycles one fogs up a lot inside! And not only when it rains, but on humid days it will fog up terribly. I had the CA one before, it was a decent product, bright and fit well overall. I liked the HC one better, but it is a ton of money.

I think my next bike I am going to try the clear one from HD, it's somewhere in the middle on price.

#13 ·
NOS-DAN said:
Yep Ive heard all the horror stories and took them into consideration....I just couldnt drop 300+ dollars right now for the "BEST" light,and the time wait ive heard is long....Just wanted people to know there is a cheapo out there that does work well for the money....

glad i dont ride in rain as of yet!,thanks for the tip about getting WET back there...weird how it would leave rust as its all plastic.

the nice thing is i can buy 4 of these for the cost of one "GOOD" light...and I agree the HC is best as so many have said on this site...

Dan
I run that light and I haven't had any problems. I like it. Mine has been in since April and I HAVE ridden in the rain.

I will admit that I prefer separate signals for safety reasons but there isn't really a good spot to mount them on this bike once the dogs ass is gone.

#14 ·
wanna lend me the additional $250 for the good light??...LOL

no.........but by the time you get it you will have the money saved....believe me

:rofl:

#15 ·
I've had the clear alternatives light for awhile and yes it's not as bright as I would like but I also don't make as much money as I would like :D
mine has been wet, muddy, snowed on, stormed on, etc. etc. and is working fine :thumb:

#17 ·
Same results here. I rode in heavy rain for 1 1/2 hours straight and not a problem. I have hit rain many times since and no fogging, leaking or brown spots. No one that I have asked has a problem seeing the light. I too agree that the HC light is brighter but way too much money for a tail light IMHO.

#19 ·
lakedrunk said:
I've had the clear alternatives light for awhile and yes it's not as bright as I would like but I also don't make as much money as I would like :D
mine has been wet, muddy, snowed on, stormed on, etc. etc. and is working fine :thumb:
:them: I've had my smoked CA light in for three years now with no problems. I've been rained on and frozen and well over 100 degrees, and the light has performed without flaw and every led still works. I have not seen the poor performance so often mentioned here.

#20 ·
Hey everyone...

I gotta admit,i didnt think Hardly ANYONE on this site used the "cheapo" light....and that was the main reason I posted the video on it.....I just saw all the Heavy cycles threads but honestly didnt want to put out the cash now,when I have a zillion other mods i want to do..lol

so,im pleasantly surprised here....many of you use it and actually like it!..this is great news!....thanks!...

I agree more lighting is good...and I may try to add some LED strips later to rear end..

Dan

#21 ·
myneed4speed said:
You get what you pay for but why not just build one yourself? All you need is a few LED's, soldering material, a prototype PC board, resistors, and wire. You already have the tail light.

where might one get the board to use? I can find the rest but not sure where to start for a board.

thanks

#23 ·
Light

I had the CA light (cheapo) on my R for 6600 miles....never a problem. I've got the HC light (way to expensive IMHO) on my DX and like it also!!!! My DX came with it from the previous owner, but I don't think I would fork out that much cash for a tailight. Seems like lotsa "bluesky" in that price. :deal:

#24 ·
does v mod have one , any one use that one ?

#26 ·
ger said:
does v mod have one , any one use that one ?
I'm pretty sure that the one V-mod sells is the clear alternatives light

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.