Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have an issue. Back in 2016 I bought a 2013 Harley Vrod motor. I messaged the seller and asked if they had the ECM for it and they said it had already sold along with the wiring harness. So I purchased a used wiring harness from a different seller and ordered a blank ecm from a Harley Davidson dealership online. After talking to some people online they said I would need the full VIN number to get the blank ECM flashed with the correct factory program. So I contacted the seller and they tried to get the info from the individual that they purchased the salvaged bike from but couldn't get me any info. So after a few life setbacks I put my build on hold. So now I am back at it and now I don't have a full VIN number to give the dealership when I put the motor in to program it for me. I have decoded the vin number off of the motor and got every number/letter that is in the VIN but one and that is I think a time stamp or something like that. I have tried to find a 2013 Harley VROD ECM used but have been unsuccessful. This is going in a custom Chopper build of mine and I would really love to get it on the road. Does anyone have any suggestions or did I just pay for a $2300 paper weight? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Here is one solution, A complete replacement for the ECM --->THUNDERMAX ECM

Reactions: JJrod

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is one solution, A complete replacement for the ECM --->THUNDERMAX ECM
I have been looking into that. But don't I still need a full VIN number to enter into the thundermax? Thanks for the advice by the way. I started this project when I was just learning about bikes. Never dabbled into fuel injection on hot rods so I really didn't know what to ask etc when I got the motor. When you get a motor for a hot rod you don't have to deal with computers, just carburetors and power. Lol

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
I don't know but I would talk to the Thundermax folks about that. I can't imagine why you should need a VIN because it is not tied to a bike just the engine.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
They use the vin number for 3 year warrantee registration purpose. It will not affect the Thundermax from working and does not "marry" for 1 vehicle use

1 - 5 of 5 Posts