Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here i sit helmet in hand on the side of the road waiting for a towtruck. looks like the ecm has gone on my dx. I cant believe this bike. She's about 18 months old and so far the coils have gone, the spark plug went and now it looks like the ECM. They all seem related to me. could this all be caused by the PCV? or is it more likely that the ECM has been on the blink for a while and the other issues were syptoms of its impending doom?

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
well here i sit helmet in hand on the side of the road waiting for a towtruck. looks like the ecm has gone on my dx. I cant believe this bike. She's about 18 months old and so far the coils have gone, the spark plug went and now it looks like the ECM. They all seem related to me. could this all be caused by the PCV? or is it more likely that the ECM has been on the blink for a while and the other issues were syptoms of its impending doom?
Arse - whip the PCV out before it gets to the dealer.Don't want them claiming the PCV caused the failure.......

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish i did. But they know the bike well as it's been in for repairs before. Anyhow the bastards say they wont cover it under warranty so i told them to diagnose and tell if it is in fact the ecm. If it is i'll get one from Jersey HD and fit it myself. Or is that the sort of thing thats needs to be done at a dealer for reflashing or coding?

I knew it was going to be a shit day when i got up this morning.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I wish i did. But they know the bike well as it's been in for repairs before. Anyhow the bastards say they wont cover it under warranty so i told them to diagnose and tell if it is in fact the ecm. If it is i'll get one from Jersey HD and fit it myself. Or is that the sort of thing thats needs to be done at a dealer for reflashing or coding?

I knew it was going to be a shit day when i got up this morning.
legally they can't say that Ben , they must *show* that the failure was caused by the PCV , not just suspect it because it is fitted.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i intend to give them hell about it. I always used to praise the customer service i've had from warrs but after today they will never see a cent from me again. And if they don't resolve this well it will also be the last Harley I ever buy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
shit !

i would push the dealer mate !

my discs were wrapped and just out of warranty they said they were on the wear limit , kept playing my face and they e-mailed me to say they would fit a set of discs and pads at the dealer cost (not claimed from HD factory)

if they want you as a customer then ? i'd understand if the bike was a lot older ?

but i can belive it of the bike ! mine has had shitloads replaced under warranty from bearing's to swingarms , to head gaskets , to oil pipes the list goes on !

funny i have just split my ECM to fit a pin for tacho pulse , and then read your post and shit myself ! (but i did remove the maxi fuse hope this would have helped protect against my sausage fingers:notworth:)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i managed to get it running again...for a month and now the bitch is giving me problems again. same old story with the bike not wanting to start and sounding like shes running on one cyclinder and heavy smell of fuel. i am going to hazard a guess that the front plug is aain oil fouled. i need to figure out whats causing this and i'll be stuffed if iam taking it to Warrs. does anyone in or near London have a compression testing kit i can borrow for this weekend? i intend to buy one but it wont arrive until next week and i want to try get this sorted asap. I am also going to take off the PCV and auttune and put the stock pipes back on for a while to see what happens.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
i managed to get it running again...for a month and now the bitch is giving me problems again. same old story with the bike not wanting to start and sounding like shes running on one cyclinder and heavy smell of fuel. i am going to hazard a guess that the front plug is aain oil fouled. i need to figure out whats causing this and i'll be stuffed if iam taking it to Warrs. does anyone in or near London have a compression testing kit i can borrow for this weekend? i intend to buy one but it wont arrive until next week and i want to try get this sorted asap. I am also going to take off the PCV and auttune and put the stock pipes back on for a while to see what happens.
I haven't got a compression tester but if you want a hand let me know

Steve

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers Steve, I'll probably take you up on that.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I have a compression tester, but I borrowed it of my next door neighbor.

I can not really send it up to you, but can arrange for it to be in my pocket if you go to Steve's, or mine :)

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
i managed to get it running again...for a month and now the bitch is giving me problems again.
What did you do to get it running again Ben? If it was unplugging the PCV and plugging it back in again maybe there's a bad connection on the PCV > ECM plug?
I am also going to take off the PCV and auttune and put the stock pipes back on for a while to see what happens.
This sounds like a plan - will it actually start and run on 2 if you just take the PCV out of the loop? If its just the same then you know the problem isn't with the PCV....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts