Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Member JMG was telling me about these rotors to replace the front. They may not be the best looking wait....Compared to galfer no but better looking then stock and for 150 bucks per front rotor and 230 for the rear they look pretty phocking good to me:D!!So I did some investigating and I'm def interested. I cant get a proper image of the rotors espeacially the rear. I've included a pdf file of a catalouge with part numbers and a picture of just the part numbers so people that cant view pdf's can search the web. (I reset my home computer and cant view PDF's at this time)

Now alot of people might know about these but I didn't so if anyone has pics or have installed them please post pics info or somthing!!!. This is a good upgrade and semi affordable. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. People always concentrate on going fast but what happens when you need to stop =\. Or see a cop. :banghead:

Here is a store I found that has them.
Now here is the link and a PRICE EXAMPLE! . You will need to verify the part for your year specific bike with the pdf or picture then search that part number.

For the front left rotor for a 09 DX ( same since 08-10 only difference is welded header pipe)
http://summitracing.com/parts/EBP-MD516LS/

For the front right rotor
http://summitracing.com/search/?keyword=MD516RS&dds=1

And for the rear rotor.
http://summitracing.com/search/Powersports-Submodel/VRSCDX/?keyword=MD517

Attachments

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
I have an EBC rear rotor on my BMW and love it. it fixed a horrible clank from the stock crap rotor they put on the big German girl.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
call EBC, I spoke with them last week and they were very helpful. I'm sure they could email you a better pict if you asked.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Picking up from the brake pad thread:

WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THOSE!!!!! Let me guess only sold in Europa huh? (Yes I spelled it that way) Actually no they are not I found this part guide. ( Below) I also found a place that sells them for $149 per front rotor and $213 for the rear.
Didn't mean to cause a headache...;)

The rotors are readily available in the US, no problem.
There is a member wo posted some pictures with those rotors installed. I think he has a B Model.

Watch out for the part numbers: 516LS and RS are stock replacement solid rotors. The floaters are 516X and fit both left and right sides.

:cheers:

Attachments

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks JMG

Thanks for catching that. So the new price off that website will be 172 for the front. I emailed EBC as AOW suggested and am waiting to hear back. I wonder if they make a floating rear then? If not I can always buy the F rear rotor :D

·
Registered
976 Posts
Nice find.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
They do look better than the stock v-rod rotors that came on the early models.
Another alternative is to replace the wheels.Then the selection is endless and the price is low.I paid $100 for the pair on my Harley style wheels.They also eliminated all my brake concerns.

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the pics

Nice guys at EBC. Here are the pics for stock replacement and upgrading with floating rotors. No rear floating as of yet. The inner ring comes chrome no other options available. I asked lol.

Attachments

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy I spoke with said you cant take them apart. =\

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
As of July this year the floaters were not available. I bought and installed the replacement rotors and they are great. A little down on friction but great feel.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
I'm interested in some like these, any idea if they're available anywhere?

here is a thread that I started about this issue. The rotor in your pic is an older number. They are actually the same for left and right and now one part number is for both under part # MD516. The linked thread also shows you where to get them at a great price.

Here is a pic whith them installed on my bike. Notice that they have been worked enough to turn the blue.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Thanks, the Link seems to be having trouble downloading but I think it's where I got the pic from ;) Any idea if te new part number comes with that same hole/slotted pattern in the braking surface?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Thanks a lot Mike! :thumb:
+1

Proper pad bedding is like THE MOST IMPORTANT THING for both cars & MC's. How you "run them in" the first mile will determine how they run for the entire life of the pad/rotor.

I'm still liking the Lyndalls with the Red+'s. As alluded to in the referenced article though - due to the "racing composition" of the setup, the first (cold) grab is, eh so-so - once warm, they are just wunnerful.

All 3 rotors weigh less than one steel HD boat anchor (and I'd wager similarly with the EBC's).

Rick

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'll be able to give you a comparison between the stock H-D on a B vs the MD514Ls/Rs rotors soon.

I told my father-in-law I was replacing the rotors and brakes. He Guffawed, "I just put new pads on that thing!". I said, "sure, but the front feels terrible." I got back, "front brake?! who the F*@# uses the front brake." :banghead: he also drives his car with the left foot on the brake.

This is from StopTech's web site. Read it and it will help clear up what is happening.

Warped brake rotors and other myths
You really should add this to your sig. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts