Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Youngest VRODDER
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came back from Laconias bike week and going up it was quite chilly so i leathered up and had all the gear on as well as my rider. When going up it warmed up quite a bit and the other guys in the group are shedding layers and using bags. Im SOL right now. It was95 degrees in parade thick traffic. No where to put items and really want bags now.

Question 1: How easy are hard bags to REMOVE after installation. couple of screws? or pain in the @$$?

Question 2: If removing bags do brackets show, and how easy are they to remove?

Question 3: Can anyone post pics of stages of removing?

I like the idea of having bags for long trips but hate the idea of permanently adding the look. I've always been against the bags in general but the ability to use them would have made for a more comfortable ride.

Thanks in advance for all your help ladies and gents.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Question 1: They are easy to remove. Couple of screws.

Question 2: Brackets show when you remove the bags. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the brackets. Just make sure you have the rotary flat wrench.

Question 3: I don't have pics

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
HighTechHarley said:
Have you considered a roll bag? Super easy and convenient. Looks better on a V IMO. Check out http://bikersfriend.com

I have the medium size. You can stuff a set of leathers in it.

Mike
Listen to Him, don't ruin your bike with the big Ugly's BOLTED on the sides. I have seen this Roll Bag on a few bikes and its not bad (and not so Permanent)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Mystery1111 said:
I came back from Laconias bike week and going up it was quite chilly so i leathered up and had all the gear on as well as my rider. When going up it warmed up quite a bit and the other guys in the group are shedding layers and using bags. Im SOL right now. It was95 degrees in parade thick traffic. No where to put items and really want bags now.

Question 1: How easy are hard bags to REMOVE after installation. couple of screws? or pain in the @$$?

Question 2: If removing bags do brackets show, and how easy are they to remove?

Question 3: Can anyone post pics of stages of removing?

I like the idea of having bags for long trips but hate the idea of permanently adding the look. I've always been against the bags in general but the ability to use them would have made for a more comfortable ride.

Thanks in advance for all your help ladies and gents.
I used to have the HD sport bags. They came off easily (too easily as documented in several threads about one or both bags taking side trips on their own) but the bracket was ugly, looked better with the bags on. I gave them to somebody on this forum.
I have since picked up a set of bags that lay over the seat and strap to points on the frame to keep them on. They come off easy, I can carry them in to where ever I am staying for easy access and when I am not on a long trip, no bags, no brackets. Cheap too, picked up a set at a run for $89.00.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
HighTechHarley said:
Have you considered a roll bag? Super easy and convenient. Looks better on a V IMO. Check out http://bikersfriend.com

I have the medium size. You can stuff a set of leathers in it.

Mike
I've got one of those bags and it is perfect for me, it will fit a 12 pack of beer (cans) a gallon of milk, my leather jacket, extra helmet, extra glasses, etc. etc. And it's a great back rest on longer rides!
the only downside is with a passenger it doesn't fit, I'm guessing with a luggage rack it would fit behind the sissy bar.

click here to see it on my bike.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
I use the SAC bag, it straps over your sissy bar. Very nice and plenty of room for 2 jackets and 2 skid lids. There are larger bags also, but I like this one because I have a shoulder strap and can just take it as luggage.

I used to have HD leather bags and I miss them, but have gotten used to not having bags. I also tried the boss bags, they have a great system to pop them off but they are grossly overpriced and ugly as hell.

In the end the best compromise IMO is a sissy bar bag.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Or just get Boss Bags. QD and leave-behind hardware is almost invisible.

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
click my FPOS link, has a bunch of pictures, I can swap them out un about 10 min. now and this is all that is left behind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts