Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Does anyone know the grade of aluminum used for the early v rod bodywork?
Not sure if that can be nailed down other then finding the original source of production. They can range from 1100, 2024, 3003, 5052, 6061. 1100 is too soft, 2024 is too brittle so I'm betting something in the 3-6 series, possibly 6063 but that's only a guess. Talking to an anodizing outfit that produce the clear finish on stamped parts might shed more light. Certain alloys produce certain shades. I did remember having to select the right filler when welding different alloys then having them anodized was critical to match color.
Ron

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,668 Posts
While no doubt differing alloys take dye differently during anodize, different brands of dye, and even the age of the dye make an even bigger difference.

Curious: You talking about trying to match with some sort of repair or mod or are you talking about just doing an entire set of tins fresh?

I would think that you would need to find a contact at HD involved in original production to see exactly what the original material was. There are a range of acid tests you can do to determine alloys in the metals. That would get you close.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,608 Posts
The early bikes, 2002-2004, all parts were aluminum, but either in late 2004 and definitely into 2005 some were subbed with steel items as they were being painted. I've seen bikes with mixed alloy and steel items since as painted it didn't matter.

As for anodizing old items most all the parts can be redone except the airbox cover which is bonded (ie. glue) to a steel inner liner.

This can be separated with difficulty and heat, but getting it back together after reanodize may cause issues.

The thing about anodize is it hardens the surface, too much stress in handling will cause it to craze which can be seen at various angles in bright light, as in outside sunlight.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
My 2006A is all aluminum. I believe 2007 was when the steel airbox covers and fenders appeared along with the wide frame.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,442 Posts
Shame - the Aluminum Air box covers dies were built and stamped about a mile from my house. I had great connections with those folks but unfortunately they have moved on or passed away. My friend called me one day and said he had a 1/2 dozen of the Aluminum air box prototypes in his office and knowing I had a VRod he offered them to me for free.
Still have 4 of them in the basement and unfortunately my friend passed away two years ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.