Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Do you wear earplugs?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
I did on my last long ride & will going forward.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I just recently started to wear them with the ipod. It definitely makes a big difference.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
pretty much same as you good Dr. Anything over 10 miles one way I will wear earplugs or earbuds for music. Once your hearing is gone...it's gone for good.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
My bike is too loud not to wear them. Just ask anyone stuck behind me at MWT.
Same goes for me, and it will make your bike feel smoother under power, Why i don't know but it does. please keeping your hearing:D

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
On most rides other than short jaunts, or riding around the city etc.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
So If I wear ipod headphones that basically works the same?
if you are referring to the earbuds that came with your iPod the answer is no. If you are referring to in the ear earbuds that you happen to use with your iPod, the answer is yes

·
Registered
204 Posts
So If I wear ipod headphones that basically works the same?
The same as what?

Blocking the bike-related sounds as a proper set of earplugs does, protecting your hearing, or playing your iPod so loud that it does the same damage as the bike/wind noise?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The same as what?

Blocking the bike-related sounds as a proper set of earplugs does, protecting your hearing, or playing your iPod so loud that it does the same damage as the bike/wind noise?
earplugs do NOT block the bike related sounds.

·
Registered
204 Posts
earplugs do NOT block the bike related sounds.
Maybe your definition's different from mine, but a good set of earplugs will block a fair amount of the higher-frequency components of exhaust and wind noise from riding at speed and the lower-frequency components of wind buffeting and some of the impact of exhaust. Ear plugs have differing response curves. For example, shooters' plugs differ from most professional riders' plugs because they have to contend with short duration, very high amplitude sounds (mine have a small plate/valve) as opposed to the more continual sounds while riding . Even the cheaper foam-type plugs will cut wind/bike noise from the (roughly) 115 dB at highway speed to a less-destructive 85, due to a fairly broad-band 30 dB cut.

BTW, while a full helmet may reduce some frequencies, it can have its own additions at the low end from buffeting and at the high end from ventilation passages, so that's not really something to rely on for hearing protection ('cept, of course, the roadside sticks/pieces of wire/... that might get into your ear during a crash).

If you're already deaf, I guess it won't make much difference.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I always wear plugs i have plastic ones wrapped into my helm by the plastic cord so there attached to my helm you can buy good ones for cheap, with the kydney case at any bike or hardware store. I weld with oxy,acet or straight turbotorch acet and they scream!! and the other sounds that mechanical rooms make require full ear cups, so im used to protecting my ears.... I like to hear things....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts