Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy of mine that wants me to tune his bike up for him. He wants to put E3 spark plugs in it. It looks like there E3.36 will work in the 1250 motor but I have never been around these plugs. I have always ran NGK in all my gas motors. Looking for any info on the E3 plugs I can get. Anything you guys have seen or heard would be great. Thank ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i am of the opinion that the best plugs you can buy are the ngk`s but if you run them and they work post it cause i am always open to something new.

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
What, No Screamin Eagle plugs?...LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I am thinking about putting them in and just see how they do. I am sure they will be as good as any reg plug but I think he said the are like 5 bucks each so not to bad.

·
Fear The Reaper
1,152 Posts
Multiple electrodes are nothing new, and this should be compatible with the ion sense for the knock retard, it's a copper center electrode.
You said retard.:slap: DRRR DA DRRR

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i go to the nhra race here every year. i like to check out what the prostock cars and bikes run for spark plugs and any thing else i can find out. a few years back when jim yates was sponsored by splitfire plugs i was checking out his car and it had ngk`s in it .. i bet they didn`t advertise that.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
i go to the nhra race here every year. i like to check out what the prostock cars and bikes run for spark plugs and any thing else i can find out. a few years back when jim yates was sponsored by splitfire plugs i was checking out his car and it had ngk`s in it .. i bet they didn`t advertise that.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Gifted Idiot
242 Posts
splitfire plugs
I bet a set them when they first came out for a 77 Monte that I thought was the fastest thing on 4 wheels.. LOL They made no noticable difference except in my wallet..

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
This stuff happens so often people do not even realize. Most of the internal stuff can be used without fans even knowing the true brand. Much the same happens with lubricants and filters, especially with contingency that only requires to wear a decal. ;)

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
we run ngk`s in our v-rod and i tested them against the stock hd plug . if there was a difference in hp it was too small to see on a dyno chart. i also tried the destroyer plugs and was really suprised to see a small loss of hp. i have seen some fine wire plugs fool the knock sensor(ion sense) and loose a substantial amount of hp. of course if you disable the knock sensor with the sert the fine wire plugs will make as much power as the standard plugs.

·
Registered
523 Posts
A few years ago I discovered something interesting while web searching: Sonic Spark Plugs. I called up and had a long talk with the inventor. Turns out he's an old NASA engineer who patented a bunch of stuff many years ago. One of which was this Sonic Spark Plug. Basically it is based on the principle of creating some kind of harmonic resonance from the vibration of the spark plug ignition. I can't tell you the details.
Anyway, he told me what he does is take a set of NGK plugs and modify them to make this harmonic resonance happen. He charges this as a service. He provides the NGK plugs for almost any application. I asked about the E3 and he said the multi-electrode type plugs are based on his design. Of course I couldn't argue but was skeptical. An interesting thing is that if you look at the design of the E3 they have a hole at the center of the electrodes there they join. That is kinda similar to the Sonic Spark Plugs.

At that time I could not find E3 plugs for the V-Rod, so I tried the Sonic Spark Plugs. I cannot say that I really feel the difference but they do work well. I tried them on my Sportster and on that I felt a difference from the stock Harley plugs.

http://www.enginebrain.com/

I realize Spark Plugs are one of those things that invokes controversy like oil preferences. But I always believed that a spark plug is not just a spark plug. The E3 plugs are definitely on my To-Do-List.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i would like to see some dyno tests run by and independant tester. i admit i am skeptical but you never know until you try it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
screw HP gains, if this sonic crap does what it claims, it should increase fuel economy by having less unburned gas blowing out the tailpipe.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
screw HP gains, if this sonic crap does what it claims, it should increase fuel economy by having less unburned gas blowing out the tailpipe.
AMEN to that brother at nearly 4 a gallon i'd liek to save all i can

·
Registered
523 Posts
I know it's hard to measure fuel economy, because so many things can affect it, the wind, the air temp, etc....

I was almost certain I could go a little further in a tank of gas after changing to these Sonic plugs. I have a pretty consistent riding style and I noticed a bit of a difference. I wasn't expecting that so I assumed it was the environmental effect.

Anyway it's just so hard to prove that spark plugs can make a difference, but I watch Horsepower TV every weekend and they do a lot of dyno runs. I've seen cases where changing the plugs to E3 plugs gave a bit of a boost, and other cases where running pure synthetic gas a bit of a boost. That's why I refuse to dismiss that these things can help. Just my 2 1/2 cents...

Not so long ago people refused to believe that a air filter can make a difference.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
i would like to see some dyno tests run by and independant tester. i admit i am skeptical but you never know until you try it.
I got to see what these plugs really do in person. A close friend of mine owns a late model GM performance shop, specializing in most any GM vehical with an LSx series of motor.

A customer brought in these plugs and asked him to do a before an after dyno.

They put the car on the dyno did a series of base line runs to get an average. They then changed out the plugs and did another series of runs. The car lost an average of almost 30 wheel HP compared to 30k mile OEM plugs that were in it. lol

Yes the plugs were gaped correctly, same day, same weather, and numbers were averages. They even put a new set of wires on to make sure it one was not bad.

That is about as honest as you can get IMO. The automotive aftermarket is full of snake oil. This just adds one more product to the list. Save your money.

Oh and if anyone wants to know how to kill the lifters in an LSx motor just run some lucas oil in your oil with a few changes... lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts