Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 14x16 smoke I like the qaulity of your product but now that I put it on I wear a full face helmet I have turbulence around my helmet because the wind breaks right into the top of my helmet. Do you guy's have any plans of making a 15x18 and some adjustment brackets to adjust pitch would be nice. I am 6' tall and need alittle more coverage but don't want the touring look If you want more input or open disscusion please go to v-rodforums.com introduce yourself and you can get plenty of input for your product. there is over 1000 members on this site. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you Chad

What do you guy's with the windvest think :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
204 Posts
5'7" and the wind gets me in the forehead!

I got mine with the group purchase and the quality and workmanship are top shelf. The problem I'm having is the product is not high enought on it's highest setting! I assumed with it's curved tip it would send the wind up and over your head! I called them and they told me they are coming out with a 18" shield in the next few months, I hope they'll give us a break
on the price of the plastic 18" shield. keep us posted. Fredfryguy :( :mad: :)

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a call from Al at windvest today he asked me if the bracket that says windvest on it was straight I told him it was and he said he has a different bracket that will move the shield up an inch he is going to send it to me so I can try it out and decide which one I like better. Great customer service.
:cheers: :cheers:

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
I told you (all) so!

I think I posted the first thread extoling the virtues of the Wind Vest Product and their top-of-the-line customer service ethic. They have always treated me right over the past 4 years that I've dealt with them. Doug is the owner that I usually ask for, and now he knows me by name, and bike connection when I call. Because I'm so short the 14" unit has been just fine for me.
good luck. redrazor

·
Registered
439 Posts
runit1971 said:
Got a call from Al at windvest today he asked me if the bracket that says windvest on it was straight I told him it was and he said he has a different bracket that will move the shield up an inch he is going to send it to me so I can try it out and decide which one I like better. Great customer service.
:cheers: :cheers:
Keep me posted since I also was involved in the group purchase. I have not tried it since I am traveling on business but will do so this weekend.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Keep me posted, also.
I spoke to Al the day I got and installed the Winvest from our group buy and asked him if they had another bracket that would raise it up an inch or so, and he told me NO.
I had invited him to look at this forum and the group buy thread (and sent him the link).
Perhaps he did read it and jumped on a revised bracket, which shouldnt be difficult to do.
Let us all know.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Test

Well I tried it for about 20 minutes and I have mixed feelings. First, the look and quality are far superior than any windshield available for the VROD. The performance is better than the Super Sport windshield.

But I have a modified Super Sport windshield (longer necks/braces) and it works just as well. But it does not look as good.

I don't know if to:

1) Sell the Windvest and use the money for chrome.
2) Test it again. Maybe I am expecting to much? It is not a Road King.
3) Wait for Windvest to adjust the docking station.
4) Wait for Windvest to introduce the 18" version.

Please, all members with the windvest windshield keep posting your comments so that we can share on any changes made by Windvest. :biker:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
this weekend I will find a way to make those spacers slightely angled, so the whole bracket angle will change a deg or 2. I really dont have a problem with it... 1500 miles last weekend, and it was a huge improvement, plus it looks great. but, if I can find a way to change the angle just a deg or 2....

·
Registered
439 Posts
Greg687 said:
this weekend I will find a way to make those spacers slightely angled, so the whole bracket angle will change a deg or 2. I really dont have a problem with it... 1500 miles last weekend, and it was a huge improvement, plus it looks great. but, if I can find a way to change the angle just a deg or 2....

Keep us posted and good luck with the mod for this weekend. :thumb:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Keep me in the loop............

I too feel the windshield is too low and I'm 5'7". I am part of the group buy so I'll check this thread often. Hope to see some solution as I love the way the Windvest looks but I am disappionted in it's performance as a wind vest! Fred :mad: :)

VROD AL said:
Keep us posted and good luck with the mod for this weekend. :thumb:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I received the $45 + $6 shipping leather bag from Windvest today and popped in onto the windshield.
I'll try to write up a "how-to". Three snaps. 45 seconds. There, done.
Big enough for sunglasses, etc. About 7" long and 3" deep.
I could fit a beer can into it until I installed it. Not wide enough front-to-rear once installed.
Nice surprise... Doesn't touch the clam-shell after installation.
Covers up the Windvest logo on the mounting bracket. Maybe I'll sew a V-Rod patch on the front of it...
Pricey, but I think I'll keep it.

Attachments

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
fredfryguy said:
I got mine with the group purchase and the quality and workmanship are top shelf. The problem I'm having is the product is not high enought on it's highest setting! <...> I hope they'll give us a break
on the price of the plastic 18" shield.
Ditto.

Even though I'm 5'10", the noise in my full face helmet at 65mph+ is deafening. I can no longer hear my own engine. I'd be happy to try the 18" unit, hopefully the trade-in (or upgrade) price takes into account that we are buying bigger due to problems with the design.

I also REALLY hope they log in to the forum and read these postings, you guys are giving great feedback!

KARAF

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Jimaroo said:
I received the $45 + $6 shipping leather bag from Windvest today and popped in onto the windshield.
I'll try to write up a "how-to". Three snaps. 45 seconds. There, done.
Big enough for sunglasses, etc. About 7" long and 3" deep.
I could fit a beer can into it until I installed it. Not wide enough front-to-rear once installed.
Nice surprise... Doesn't touch the clam-shell after installation.
Covers up the Windvest logo on the mounting bracket. Maybe I'll sew a V-Rod patch on the front of it...
Pricey, but I think I'll keep it.
Does it affect the way the wind goes through? might be interesting....

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
KARAF said:
Ditto.

Even though I'm 5'10", the noise in my full face helmet at 65mph+ is deafening. I can no longer hear my own engine. I'd be happy to try the 18" unit, hopefully the trade-in (or upgrade) price takes into account that we are buying bigger due to problems with the design.

I also REALLY hope they log in to the forum and read these postings, you guys are giving great feedback!

KARAF
I am 5'8" and was able to hear my pipes on the freeway for the first time. maybe its because my seat is about 3/4" lower than stock...

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Rode with mine for the first time last night, Some helmet buffeting at 70 to 80 but other than that I'm happy with it. I'm 5'10 and it knocks the wind in the chest down considerably. BTW I use a 3/4 helmet with a flip up shield.I was thinking of putting a piece of 1/16" s/s welding wire between the fork bracket and the shield bracket ( in the corner) to pivotthe top forward a little (3/4 to 1" ) to see if that helps.

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the bracket but it is the same. I have to say after a long ride it does work but when cruzing around the house without full face helmet it just about blows my sunglasses off. May look at that Memphis shade if I can find more info on it or wait for the taller one in a few months from windvest. :banghead: I am 6' tall
Thanks Chad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts