Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 vrod woth powercommander.
I was in 3rd gear on rev limit and rear wheel locked up
After speedway sliding due to locked bk wheel managed to tussel my way and stay on.. Now bike wont run it starts on start button but wont run.. Could this be power commander

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I have 2003 vrod woth powercommander.
I was in 3rd gear on rev limit and rear wheel locked up
After speedway sliding due to locked bk wheel managed to tussel my way and stay on.. Now bike wont run it starts on start button but wont run.. Could this be power commander
Geeze, you think the rear wheel locking might be pointing to an internal engine problem? Not the PC.
Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree bit motor starts when hit starter button bit once release starter it wont run

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have to side with Ron on this one. Locking up in 3rd gear while on rev limiter sure sounds like internal trouble. I hope not, but not sounding good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep sounds like internal
Frustrating took out pc and grounded fuel pump wire andk but fuelpump keeps timing out. Even though it nearly starts.. Just wont run

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Would it fire andbackfire if seized
Wouldn't turn over if seized. If it's cranking over as it normally does, and the fact you had this 3rd gear incident, I'm wondering some form of valving issue. Piston kissed a valve or timing jumped. Lock up however is generally lack of oil seizure or a rod broke, etc. The fuel pump does time out when the key is turned on but shout restart when you hit the start button.. Had it not been for the lock up, I'd be looking at the CPS as the reason for not starting up or squirting fuel in the throttle body to see if it briefly fires up. By the way, they've been known to seize from lack of oil pressure but unseize when they cool off. The CPS can be checked by unplugging it and hooking a VOM to it. With the engine cranking it should generate about 3v, depending on how fast the engine is cranking over. Pull the plugs for best test results. If good, squirt fuel into each tb and see if it starts up briefly. If it does, you have a fuel issue. If not, do a compression test. Might as well do that if you pull the plugs for the CPS test. So far, the PC has been ruled out.
Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did comp test front cylinder ok rear way down.. I believe some early 03 had to angle sensor to cut fuel if.. she went down.. Also is there a compression release valve on heads.... Weird
Thank you by way

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Did comp test front cylinder ok rear way down.. I believe some early 03 had to angle sensor to cut fuel if.. she went down.. Also is there a compression release valve on heads.... Weird
Thank you by way
1130cc has compression releases on the exhaust valves and the two cyls will be different. This is due to valve timing or something related to the releases. The 1250 doesn't have compression releases so both cyls should read close to the same. Here's the specs out of the SM for the 1130 compression checks. As for bank angle, they all have that. Turn the key on and off three times should reset it. Pulling the master fuse for about a minute will likely reset it also.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for info.. Legends
Ive thought i might have to check valves.checked tdc and timing spot on. So yep ummmm were to next

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did compression test after checking timing and valve check algood.. Tipped lil oil down plug hole no compression change.... Bk to ummm

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Oah yea front cylinder was 800kpa same as rear
Did you disable the releases when you had the covers off to give a full true reading? Tape will work for that. Have you done an actual spark test on both coils while cranking engine? Plugs need to be in for that to work because if the ECM doesn't see crank slowing on the compression stroke it won't fire the plugs. Other words, there will be not spark if the plugs are removed or if compression is too low. Here is how to test. Red plugs in coil and black arrow to ground. View for spark.
Ron

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts