Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i had some bluing on my 3rd volume heat shields from what seemed like a leak. I took the bike in to have it taken care of and the dealer told me that the bike is running lean and that is what caused the bluing. I have the pcIII now and am using a map I got from this site. He said that they can dyno tune the bike and do a custom map for me and it will run 2.5-3 hours at $80/hour. Is that a fair price? Any thoughts?

The Balls

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
That's not to bad. Most tuners will take much longer then that to properly tune a bike, but they can get it pretty good in that amount of time. Just make sure when they tune it that it's not just at WOT. Many tuners forget that we ride mostly in the midrange part of the powerband.

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
Just don't let them jack the price on you saying, well the V-rod has so many more rpms to tune than a standard Harley. Thats what I was told after they under estimated the time to dyno.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe they would do that. Johnnyruggs had his tuned there and the guy working on my bike is a v-rod owner. I've just never had it done so i don't know what it should cost. Kind of annoying that I can't have my blue stained heatshields warrantied out though.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Sounds a good price and should be done in about 2 hours.

And youll get crisper response and better fuell economy as long as your not flogging it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just priced a custom map at a place outside of Pittsburgh PA. (not a Harley dealership) They want $200 to put the bike on the dyno then 40/hr to tune it. Could take up to 4 hours. The place has a pretty good reputation for tuning.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not a bad price. Unless the bluing is really bad, I wouldnt worry too much. They all blue, some. I can see mine in the reflection off the "chrome". Damned, wish it was blacked out instead.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$200 to get it on the dyno then 40/hr for 4 hours seems pretty steep to me. But I guess good work has its prices. There is another place near me that people swear by that run around 250, so ill end up doing that I guess. Just have to save up some cash again. I'm never in the black with this bike!!

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
That is not a bad price. Are they tuning each cylinder individually? I had mine tuned, each cylinder individually. It was a fixed price of $375, I think (it was a while ago).

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Our Local Dealer in Boise charges:
3 Run Pull $60
Test & Tune $125/HR
Full Power Commander Session $200
They also have a maximum cost ($300 I think) if they need to go more than 4hours.

Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal if you have a map already and it is close.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just was quoted $350. Guess that's ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts