Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my bike dyno-tuned by Rick Swaim of Cycle and Ski Concepts, Middleburg, FL (a small town southwest of Jacksonville).

My bike went from 112 hp/ 76 ft-lbs torque dyno-tune by the Harley dealership to a much smoother 117.4 hp/ 80 ft-lbs torque dyno-tune by Rick. The Harley dealership tuned it to a nearly-perfect and flat 14.0:1 A/F. Rick tuned it to a nearly perfect and flat 13.5:1 A/F. He tunes it at WOT and at several throttle positions and rpm points. He knows V-Rods because he has one (a beautiful all-chrome 2002 show bike) and has tuned many.

I cannot emphasize enough how much better my bike runs now than it did before he tuned it! Its as if the entire HP and Torque graph was moved north by 6 HP and 4 ft-lbs. Six horsepower at the peak is impressive enough, but gains of 6 HP at 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, and 8000 RPM is significant. My bike will now spin the rear tire throughout first gear with throttle only. It feels stronger and smoother throughout the range as it should have from the factory.

But just as significant is the difference in the smoothness. Before Rick tuned it I could make out that there was a car in my mirror, but could not identify it for the blurries. Now my mirrors are rock solid at almost all speeds (I won't say all because I haven't had the time...).

Call him at (904)219-1974. Tell him I sent you. You won't regret it.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Really wish I had a guy like that closer to me.

I'd be interested to hear how your gas mileage changes.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a guy!....what does this cat charge?...yeah too bad there's not more of him around!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just spoke with Rick over the phone, he was helpful and will probably wind up doing some work for my vrod pretty soon here. He said he charges $300 for a tune using the SERT tuner. I'll post again after any work gets done with my thoughts.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Really wish I had a guy like that closer to me.

I'd be interested to hear how your gas mileage changes.
Toledo Ohio is the best for you.

What tuner are you using.

My turbo map is posted for the SERT.

:notworth:
Dave, Pretty good numbers there.

I am with you!!

Get your bike tuned.

Congrats

rod

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow! That's awesome news. I'm here in Jax as well. Never heard of him. Might have to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go to Rick if you are are in the JAX area

I picked up my bike from Rick earlier today after I had him swap out my SuperTrapp Fat Shots to a V&H comp 2-1 exhaust and as promised here is are my thoughts.

I was happy with my original tune, (done at Adamec Baymeadows HD) it was smooth and I never had any issues or gripes with it. I am happier with Rick's tune.

By the seat of my pants the first thing I could tell was the bike runs better at low RPMs. Previously when in gear the bike was rough under approximately 3k and felt like it would stall, it now runs smoothly and comfortably all the way down closer to 1.5k. This is a significant and immediately noticeable difference that I am very happy with, less feathering of the clutch makes riding in traffic much better. The bike also feels like it pulls harder earlier (starting just after about 4k up to the higher end of the RPM range).

As far as the dyno numbers go... Compared to my previous tune the bike picked up 2-5hp starting at 3.5K all the way up to the top. The torque curve is MUCH better. Rick pretty much eliminated the standard drop around the 4.5K range. I'm attaching my before and after dyno sheets, look for yourself. Keep in mind these charts come off different dynos and the changes also reflect the exhaust swap and I starting running topless also between. No other engine performance mods on the bike.

On the new dyno sheet the blue line is with just the front cylinder tuned and the orange is with front and rear dialed in.

I apparently can't attach my old dyno sheet since I've already done that once. It's on this thread http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159575&page=2
and is also posted in my album

Rick has earned my business and I'm much happier supporting a retired fellow Navy man who earns his business based off his reputation rather than the brand name (I do understand there are some dealers that are exceptions). Rick and Kevin were both very knowledgable and great to do business with and explained every question I had. Decide for yourself but I second DrDave, go see Rick.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ya I'm interested in how much(if any) yur fuel mileage dropped. I had a buddy of mine do a full tune on my 05' SE and it ran like a raped ape,but I could only get about 80mls from a tank of fuel,so I saved that one and found something close and played with it now getting 100mls per tank consistently. I know we sacrifice for the extra power,but there's got to be a happy medium in there.------------Ken

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I have know Rick since 2006, he has done quite a bit of work for me in the past. I have never had a dyno tune from him, but I have always heard good things about his work. He does know the vrod better than most techs in the Jax area for sure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Carl's Speed Shop in Daytona Beach tuned my 06 SE several years back. We installed the a Power Commander and V-mod exhaust before having it tuned. It produced 125 hp and it gets approx, 32 mpg. The bike only has 3200 miles on it now. Just today I filled it up and ran the tank dry. I went 112 miles an ran approx. 80 miles of the trip at an avg. speed of 75-80 mph. I am very satisfied with the bike at all speeds. The 06 SE is the second V-rod that they have done for me and both bikes are awesome. The first one was an 03.
As for Carl's the tuner, is his son, Doug. It you know anything about them, you know that they have set many speed records at Bonneville Salt Flats (99). These guys really know how to tune a bike for HP and mileage too. I haven't been there in years but they had moved to their new location on Nova Rd. Their current add seems to make not mention of the change of address.
This is a link to them--http://bikeweek.com/post.cfm/post/4979/motorcycle-speed-legend-doug-morrow-of-carls-speed-shop

·
Registered
32 Posts
fuel consumption

Ya I'm interested in how much(if any) yur fuel mileage dropped. I had a buddy of mine do a full tune on my 05' SE and it ran like a raped ape,but I could only get about 80mls from a tank of fuel,so I saved that one and found something close and played with it now getting 100mls per tank consistently. I know we sacrifice for the extra power,but there's got to be a happy medium in there.------------Ken
I clocked my last tank at 36 mpg. I'd say on average that tank was run more conservatively than normal. Being able to comfortably run lower rpms helps in this case. I'd say fuel consumption is on par with my last set up/tune. Old one averaged about 34 +/- 2 mpg. I'm thinking any fuel consumption difference is negligible which sounds about right to me.

IMO any increased fuel consumption that can be achieved on these bikes is worth having it run better. I'd guess most of us don't ride vrods for the mpg anyway. Of course it's totally up to each individual, as long as your happy with your own bike. At any rate it still gets better mpg than my truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts