Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Well I'm dead set on getting a PCV for my 2010 NRS. But I'm between having a well known PC dealer/tuner Jay Riddle Racing in Morton IL install and tune the PCV or saving that tuning money and buying a Autotune module. I was told for around $900 I would get

-My supplied D&D fat cat exhaust installed
-PCV installed
-Custom velocity stack work
-K&N air filter
-Dyno tuned
-IAT sensor relocated with air filter top removed.

Now I could buy and install the PCV and Autotune module myself for around $700. My main concern with doing it myself is running into problems and not being able to get the bike to run correctly. If I have the tuner do it, I know if will be done correctly the first time with no problems and someone to back up their work if something does happen.

I am mechanically inclined but do not have experience in fuel mapping/tuning. My other concern is getting a good base map to work with. Although, I guess I could offer to buy one of his maps he's used on a V-rod in the past seeing as I know he's worked on quite a few. Let me know what you think

thanks
-Dan

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
The custom stack work seems a bit ambiguous but to me depending on that it seems like the majority of your cost is the dyno time and labor rate and to me $900 seems a bit high, unless you are confident the guy can really tune your bike. But if you plan on future mods you will have to tune all over again, so you should consider that when deciding to dyno or autotune - if you mod heavy and are mechanically inclined enough to install your own exhaust and do the topless air filter mod then it would be in your best interest to become more proficient in using the PCV/autotune. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I was just looking at a thread of dyno tuning versus real world conditions. The dyno was close but the actual road conditions with auto tune came out better

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the deal is he makes the velocity stacks equal length. I do trust the guy to tune the bike, he's very well known in Central Illinois and you will hear nothing but good thing about him. I know I can install everything myself with no problem at all, I just don't want to be in a spot where I'm stuck. I do plan on doing future mods, and I don't want to have to go to get my bike re-dyno'd every time I change anything. It would probably be best to get some hands on experience with tuning.

Where do you usually get a good basemap from? I've got a D&D Fat Cat exhaust and plan to go topless with a high flow filter.

·
Registered
818 Posts
IMHO I am finding more and more that most folks will not be 100% happy with just any map you are going to find available from anyone. So a Dyno tune is a great idea.....now what the Auto Tune does....once you have a proper map built, both base map and AFR map, the Auto Tune will keep your bike running as close as possible to what it was originally tuned to regardless of fuel, altitude or temp changes.

The biggest part is a TUNED AFR MAP.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
I got one of the very first PCV's with autotune modules produced by Power Commander for a VRod. I installed it on my wifes 09 VRSCAW, I set the desired AFR and used a "zero" MAP. This has been over 2 years ago all I do is occasionally go in and accept the trims the computer recommends and the bike runs like a dream. The more it's riden the better it runs. I have no idea what the others are talking about but the point with the Auto-tune is for the computer to build the MAP to satisfy the desired AFR you told it you wanted, nothing else is required on your part.

I do all my own work on my bikes, everything to include turbo installation, major engine and transmission work and suspension mods and the PCV with Auto-tune has been the easiest most trouble free modification I have ever done to a VRod.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I got one of the very first PCV's with autotune modules produced by Power Commander for a VRod. I installed it on my wifes 09 VRSCAW, I set the desired AFR and used a "zero" MAP. This has been over 2 years ago all I do is occasionally go in and accept the trims the computer recommends and the bike runs like a dream. The more it's riden the better it runs. I have no idea what the others are talking about but the point with the Auto-tune is for the computer to build the MAP to satisfy the desired AFR you told it you wanted, nothing else is required on your part.

I do all my own work on my bikes, everything to include turbo installation, major engine and transmission work and suspension mods and the PCV with Auto-tune has been the easiest most trouble free modification I have ever done to a VRod.
Shadow,

Please share your map. I would be interested in your AFR settings and to see what your base map is set at. If you would not like to post it here, how about sending it to me to include in my research.

The biggest problem I have seen from most posted maps (to include some of mine) is that they are way rich, have decel pop, etc, etc. I have yet to find one map that worked on all bikes or one that would work on the east coast, west coast or the mountains, fthe same. Overseas is a totally diferent animal but have found that their settings are much different.

Now I am not doubting that you have found the magic tune that has eluded some us, so I am now begging you to share your map. I have been trying to find someone who would take the time on the dyno or the time to research on their own to build the proper AFR map needed for the AT to tune a good base map. I have been doing it and have a map that works for me but always still looking at others to compare. Unfortunately for me my season is very short, less then 3 months of ride time.

TOSS US A BONE SHADOW, LET'S SEE YOUR MAP, PLEASE.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Shadow,

Please share your map. I would be interested in your AFR settings and to see what your base map is set at. If you would not like to post it here, how about sending it to me to include in my research.

The biggest problem I have seen from most posted maps (to include some of mine) is that they are way rich, have decel pop, etc, etc. I have yet to find one map that worked on all bikes or one that would work on the east coast, west coast or the mountains, fthe same. Overseas is a totally diferent animal but have found that their settings are much different.

Now I am not doubting that you have found the magic tune that has eluded some us, so I am now begging you to share your map. I have been trying to find someone who would take the time on the dyno or the time to research on their own to build the proper AFR map needed for the AT to tune a good base map. I have been doing it and have a map that works for me but always still looking at others to compare. Unfortunately for me my season is very short, less then 3 months of ride time.

TOSS US A BONE SHADOW, LET'S SEE YOUR MAP, PLEASE.
EOD J Rod,
I don't understand what you think I have, I am using the Auto-Tune Module with the wife's PCV. All I did was set the desired AFR and the computer adjusts for that. I have not pulled the MAP it has built off her bike since I installed everything, I am not even sure I can pull a MAP off of it since it was built by the AT.

Are you using the Auto tune module? If you are then there really is nothing you need to do, you can start with an absolute zero MAP and the computer will build you one based off of your desired AFR. If you don't have the Auto Tune Module then are you sure a MAP developed with a AT will work on one that doesn't have that? It seems to me if you do have the AT then you need to ride the bike as much as you can and accept the trims every couple of days and soon it will be running perfectly.

If you don't have the AT module then your PCV is not much different than the SERT I am using on my 06 Turbo charged D model.

Ok so having said all of that do you have the AT Module or not?

Jay

·
Registered
818 Posts
EOD J Rod,
I don't understand what you think I have, I am using the Auto-Tune Module with the wife's PCV. All I did was set the desired AFR and the computer adjusts for that. I have not pulled the MAP it has built off her bike since I installed everything, I am not even sure I can pull a MAP off of it since it was built by the AT.

Are you using the Auto tune module? If you are then there really is nothing you need to do, you can start with an absolute zero MAP and the computer will build you one based off of your desired AFR. If you don't have the Auto Tune Module then are you sure a MAP developed with a AT will work on one that doesn't have that? It seems to me if you do have the AT then you need to ride the bike as much as you can and accept the trims every couple of days and soon it will be running perfectly.

If you don't have the AT module then your PCV is not much different than the SERT I am using on my 06 Turbo charged D model.

Ok so having said all of that do you have the AT Module or not?

Jay
Jay,
You should be saving your developed map as you go in case anything every happens to your PC V so you do not have to go thru all the steps again to get your bike back to where you are currently at. Your AFR map and Base map are all downloadable whether developed manully or thru the AT. Basically when you accept the trims you are developing your Base Map from your set/desired AFR. You can use any Base Map on a PC V without AT. Just the same way you can take a PC III map and convert to a PC V map just no AT feature.

What am I getting at is what are you setting your AFR map at....what's the magic desired AFR numbers? That's what I am in search of as well as others here. I just get so furstrated with folks that claim to have the magic bean but I can never get them to share maps. To let others try and solve their problems.

I probably have the most different powersports items running the PC V with AutoTune. I have three bikes, two of which run flawlessly, 2 quads, and a couple of different snowmobiles all running PC V's and AT's. Snowmachines are a totally different animal so I will leave them out of the mix. My wife's Sportie runs fanatastic, the Hayabusa runs wonderful, quads are killer, have one snowmachine that's being funky but it's starting to fall in line with the others finally, my V Rod most days are just ok. Having someone else with a good running bike will allow me to see/use their AFR Map and work my bike up or maybe help discover what my bike's issue may be.

Bottom line is I have a great Base Map but.........my AFR Map sucks.

·
Jay Johnston
1,732 Posts
Ahhhhhh ok now I understand, alright my email is [email protected]

I am not at home right now and I have upgraded computers since I loaded that on the wife's bike but what I will do is load the PCV software on my new computer and pull the MAP off her bike when I return. What you need to do for me is send me an email and remind me what you need and I will be happy to help.

I can't remember the AFR points because that was 2 years ago. I will tell you how I came up with the AFR points though. I opened a SERT MAP that DTHDOC had posted here on this forum. The MAP I used had DOC's highest recommendation. Then using the SERT software I looked at all the AFR's at several points across the MAP and used those AFR's as the target points for the AFR points on her bike.

I now know what you need and why you need it, and I know this doesn't give you that right away but I hope it helps in the short term.

Send me the reminder email and when I get home I will pull it off her bike for you.

Jay

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ahhhhhh ok now I understand, alright my email is [email protected]

I am not at home right now and I have upgraded computers since I loaded that on the wife's bike but what I will do is load the PCV software on my new computer and pull the MAP off her bike when I return. What you need to do for me is send me an email and remind me what you need and I will be happy to help.

I can't remember the AFR points because that was 2 years ago. I will tell you how I came up with the AFR points though. I opened a SERT MAP that DTHDOC had posted here on this forum. The MAP I used had DOC's highest recommendation. Then using the SERT software I looked at all the AFR's at several points across the MAP and used those AFR's as the target points for the AFR points on her bike.

I now know what you need and why you need it, and I know this doesn't give you that right away but I hope it helps in the short term.

Send me the reminder email and when I get home I will pull it off her bike for you.

Jay
You did exactly what I did with the SERT.....only I had very limited info, no SERT in hand and had to guess at a bunch of the AFR points. I got a map with the PC V when I got it but nothing for the AT. Granted this was while it was real new and there may have only been a few testers and it ran like DOO DOO.

I am also out of town and will shoot you some mail in a week or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts