Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new pipe arrived today and my 04B goes to the stealership tomorrow for installation Dyno runs with a SERT and I have a few questions that I would appreciate some help with. First, my last pipes were D&D slash cut slipons. I bought the bike with 2500 miles on it and it had the mapping set to match the pipes but friends noticed that it was getting louder when I reached 6K so here is my question: When the fiberglass burns out of the baffles, could it change the fuel/air mixture enough to create a lean condition? I plan on repacking the baffle when it's time but I'm curious as to how critical these maps really are? I bought the upswept Vance and Hines two into one and the first thing I'm going to do is take the baffle out and apply some antiseize (sp?) where ever rust will develop inside the pipe because that's why I had to buy the pipe, I couldn't get the baffles out of the slipons because they were rusted in. Next question, first let me explain that this service manager is the nicest guy I've ever met at a stealership, really high on the people skills and truly seems concerned about what's good for me and my bike so the question is there anything special I should ask him when it comes time for the dyno and setting the map? Should I just ask for maximum horsepower or should I specify smooth through the entire rpm range? This is my first HD and first time I've ever paid for a dyno tuning. Also he told me that the SERT doesn't stay on the bike so I guess I'm just paying for them to use their hardware to adjust the map. Does that sound about right?
Respectfully,
Ed

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has taken their bike to have it dynoed and asked them how they wanted it tuned? Can someone help me out here?
Ed

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
No, nothing special to ask. He should be tuning for best power and good fuel economy when in cruise (low throttle positions). You will own your SERT (make sure he gives it to you) - you bought it. It's just the device that allows the tuning parameters to be loaded into the ECM.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
The SERT is a module that plugs into the ecm of your bike through the serial connector on the bike
When tunning changes are made to the map it will be down loaded to the ecm through the SERT software using the sert to the ecm write.

You can tell the tuner to max out you HP if you want ...keep in mind if he/she goes to far it could lean it out. Keep in mind tha most tuners know what they are doing and will not over extend the AFR on the bike.

Tuning the bike is keeping the AFR out of the danger zone.

The tunner will be making adjustments to the map and maintaining a AFR to keep the bike on a nice curve.

Look at some of the dyno charts posted to see what a really good curve is if you do not know now. They willl give you a print out of the tune and you can see for your self if it is a good curve.

Horsepower...I say do not go chasing the numbers...You will get what the set up can get you. Do not set you hopes up to high.

Hp is used to keep the top end speed going. Torque is what is used to get you out of the hole.

If you do not thik the bike is quick enough at the start then I suggest changing the front pulley. Thus changing you drive set up not you motor set up and using the HP and Torque you have in the bike.

The dealer around here charges 296.00 for dyno tunes.

Yes, there are good tuner and ones that are trying to become good tuners.lol

When they are done ask for a copy of your map on disk and you will be given the SERT module. Ask for the print out of the AFR and HP and Torque.

The cables are seperate.

If you go on a long trip be sure to take the map and module with up if case of problems on the road so the dealer will be able to read the map if need be.

Hope this helps
Rod

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much guys. I learned quite a bit.
Ed

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
Would been nice to make a base run with the setup you have now so you could compare the pipes, make a baserun then go home change pipes and do the Dyno tuning run the next day or are they installing the new pipe? Always nice to know if you gained or loss and where when changing stuff.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're going to.......

and it won't surprise me to find out it now makes less horsepower. The D&D Pipes had burned out all the fiberglass and as I said, I couldn't get the baffles out without destroying the chrome outer cans. I could be lucky though and find out that by going toppless, adding the new pipe and with the right tune it could make more hp. Time will tell.
Ed

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
A tune is to keep the AFR in proper range and you should see a nice smooth steady climb in HP from idle to red line. HP Numbers mean little as all dyno's are different and weather temps and moisture play a role. Some mechanics will also "cheat" with the computer program!
You should be looking for great "behavior" on the street from cold to operating temps and throughout the RPM range - period.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Ed1955: 6k miles on the bike or 6k RPM? All pipes will get loader when "seasoned".

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aow

6000 Miles. The stealership called me and the pipe is on and tuning is done. They were only able to obtain an additional 1 horsepower over the D&D slipons but they did obtain an additional 6 ft. pounds of torque and that makes me smile. So basically I probably quieted the bike down a little, I'm now able to repack the new pipe when I want to and it looks better and has a little more "Hole Shot" in it. I haven't picked it up yet but I have a feeling I'm going to be very happy.
Ed

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Now, if you really want the kick in the pants.

Buy a 26 T front pulley and put it on and see if that will make you even happier.

This will let you use the hp and trq you have.

I recommend this before doing any more engine work and save yourself hundreds chasing numbers.

Good Luck
Rod

·
New but Old!
354 Posts
Now, if you really want the kick in the pants.

Buy a 26 T front pulley and put it on and see if that will make you even happier.

This will let you use the hp and trq you have.

I recommend this before doing any more engine work and save yourself hundreds chasing numbers.

Good Luck
Rod
Or do the motor work and have real kick in the pants instead of simulated.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Or do the motor work and have real kick in the pants instead of simulated.[/QUOTE]

No...

I think he will be surprised at what your Hp and Tq can do.

If he wants more then it is his pockets.

·
Registered
43 Posts
does anyone know of a good dyno shop around NYC thats not going to rip me a new a**hole, i was quoted at 400$ for a dyno by a shop that was recommend to me on long island. I am willing to travel its a good excuse to get away for a night :)
Phil

·
New but Old!
354 Posts
does anyone know of a good dyno shop around NYC thats not going to rip me a new a**hole, i was quoted at 400$ for a dyno by a shop that was recommend to me on long island. I am willing to travel its a good excuse to get away for a night :)
Phil
Hey Phil, we are in NY, nothing is good and everyone is out to rip you a new asshole. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts