Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just need some advice... I had my bike on a long ride and am getting just about 125 miles to a tank of fuel. Is this pretty average or below average? should I be getting better fuel mileage or not? Also, I have the SE Tuner, SE air filter and V&H Comp. slip ons and am considering getting the bike dyno'd to make sure everything is optimum. Is this a smart idea seeing that it will cost me about 500 bucks! Also, what has everyone else paid to have their bikes dyno'd? As usual, I am counting on your experteez!!!!! Thanks in advance.

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
I've been tuning my F for 2 years now and I finally got the performance and rideability I've been looking for. The major problem with dyno guys is they're looking to give you all out performance and horsepower. That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing but you'll find that the average riding speed and rideability will usually suck. After 3 attempts of having my bike professionally tuned which bore results of 121, 122 and 125 horsepower it also had the results of around 30 mpg. In my mind that wasn't cutting it. So I took a hard look at all 3 tuning maps and all 3 had the AFR's set way to rich. None of them ever allowed the ecm to run in a closed loop and let the O2 sensors do their job. Keeping in mind I've been a mechanic my whole life and know exactly how a water cooled motor should run. I redid the maps in the rpm and throttle position areas where you'd be doing most of your riding and set the AFR's to 14.6 which puts the system in a closed loop and lets the ecm do it's thing. The bike has never rode smoother and it's just as responsive on the top end as ever. I now average 40-45 mpg depending on riding style. No more soot on my plugs or pipes. So you can take this with a grain of salt but if I were to do this all over again I'd find a metric bike dealer with a dyno and them have at it, because they've been dealing with high horsepower water cooled motors a whole hell of a lot longer than HD has.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sauk Prairie HD Wisconsin we are lucky to have one of the best tuners in the area. I'm only getting about 122-123hp but i'm averaging 35-40MPG. (in reality the way I ride 25-30MPG :D ) plugs came out perfect, almost too good that I thought it was runing lean. they get $250 for a full tune but you need to purchase your choice of tuner. I'm using the Screamin Eagle

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
I've been tuning my F for 2 years now and I finally got the performance and rideability I've been looking for. The major problem with dyno guys is they're looking to give you all out performance and horsepower. That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing but you'll find that the average riding speed and rideability will usually suck. After 3 attempts of having my bike professionally tuned which bore results of 121, 122 and 125 horsepower it also had the results of around 30 mpg. In my mind that wasn't cutting it. So I took a hard look at all 3 tuning maps and all 3 had the AFR's set way to rich. None of them ever allowed the ecm to run in a closed loop and let the O2 sensors do their job. Keeping in mind I've been a mechanic my whole life and know exactly how a water cooled motor should run. I redid the maps in the rpm and throttle position areas where you'd be doing most of your riding and set the AFR's to 14.6 which puts the system in a closed loop and lets the ecm do it's thing. The bike has never rode smoother and it's just as responsive on the top end as ever. I now average 40-45 mpg depending on riding style. No more soot on my plugs or pipes. So you can take this with a grain of salt but if I were to do this all over again I'd find a metric bike dealer with a dyno and them have at it, because they've been dealing with high horsepower water cooled motors a whole hell of a lot longer than HD has.
Good point !!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey all, just need some advice... I had my bike on a long ride and am getting just about 125 miles to a tank of fuel. Is this pretty average or below average? should I be getting better fuel mileage or not? Also, I have the SE Tuner, SE air filter and V&H Comp. slip ons and am considering getting the bike dyno'd to make sure everything is optimum. Is this a smart idea seeing that it will cost me about 500 bucks! Also, what has everyone else paid to have their bikes dyno'd? As usual, I am counting on your experteez!!!!! Thanks in advance.
I have the SEPST module with a preloaded map and also the SE filter and the V&H Comp. Slip-ons & a few other mods. Ya the mileage sucks and I'm lucky to get a bit better than 30 mpg on a good day. But the bike works very good, good power & smooth.
Having had HD's for a long time (pans, shovels & evos) I'm not to bad with a wrench and do all my own work. But with the Muscle and having to plug it into the digi-tech for any serious work, there's only so much I can do.
What SvFiat says makes sense but you probably need some equipment that is usually not in the everyone's toolbox (that's the way HD wants it anyway).
Spend the money and do it right. Dyno time is not cheap and if you want more than an already programmed MAP tuning can take 4-8 hours. Maybe you'll get a bit better mileage, maybe not. First concern is having your bike working as good as it can be.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, ya, bike seems to run very well, scads of power but seems to have a lot of decel popping and is pretty hard on fuel. Just thought I would spend the money and have it dynod so I know that everything is tip top shape. SVFIAT, I appreciate your insight and will take the info to the dealer with me. Ozzie 21, who do you use for a dyno in Calgary?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey, ya, bike seems to run very well, scads of power but seems to have a lot of decel popping and is pretty hard on fuel. Just thought I would spend the money and have it dynod so I know that everything is tip top shape. SVFIAT, I appreciate your insight and will take the info to the dealer with me. Ozzie 21, who do you use for a dyno in Calgary?
PM sent....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts