Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10' muscle with stage II cams, Tabs, PC-V and K&N filter. After a dyno tune, what ball park numbers should I expect? I was thinking around 135 hp 90 lb torque or is that unrealistic? The numbers they gave me before the cam installation was 111 hp and 117 after. I was not happy and told them to dyno tune, I don't really understand why they did not do that anyway.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
After a decent tune you should be in the 125 HP range. My '08 with pipes, filter and a dyno tune ran just over 110, after cams it was 125.

I'm running the TTS Mastertune tuner, I see you have a PC-V. If you also have autotune, I think you may see a bit less - autotune is good, but it won't lay down a perfect tune IMHO.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a decent tune you should be in the 125 HP range. My '08 with pipes, filter and a dyno tune ran just over 110, after cams it was 125.

I'm running the TTS Mastertune tuner, I see you have a PC-V. If you also have autotune, I think you may see a bit less - autotune is good, but it won't lay down a perfect tune IMHO.

I'm extremely dissappointed. I got the dyno graph and the HP is higher, 118 but only at the top end, it's below for just about the whole graph and I only picked up 1 lb torque from the after cam install to the tune. Do I have any recource, they charged me out the ass too. I feel like going there and freaking on them. Before cams, 111.35 hp, after cams 117.64, after tune, 118.64 w 81.74 torque. They did not record the before cam torque, I'd be interested to know what it was, if I lost torque, I will definitely freak out on them. On the way to the shop the bike was running so good, I was even second guessing doing the cams...

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
7 Pony's from cams and a tune is absurd. A serious mistake has been made somewhere during the instillation, because you're missing at least 10 horsepower.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
What stacks are you running? Stockers or the short kit stacks? If you are running the short stacks throw them away and re-tune with the stockers - they make much better low end power, the short stacks make power all up high.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What stacks are you running? Stockers or the short kit stacks? If you are running the short stacks throw them away and re-tune with the stockers - they make much better low end power, the short stacks make power all up high.
Will do, I'll change them tonight. Can I change them without a tune?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Will do, I'll change them tonight. Can I change them without a tune?
You'll probably want to re-tune, but with the map you have now it won't be wholesale changes, just some tweaks - should not be too long or too costly. Running them before the tune should be pretty safe as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll probably want to re-tune, but with the map you have now it won't be wholesale changes, just some tweaks - should not be too long or too costly. Running them before the tune should be pretty safe as well.
Would you happen to know of a shop who knows V-Rods inside and out that I can call? I am in Pittsburgh so if there is a shop close to here, I'd love to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about... THanks...

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
no idea who's good out at that end of the state. When I put my cams in I did the short stacks too and was very disappointed in the results. I then put in the stock stacks and went back to the tuner and made much better power.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Yeah zepka is good that's where I bought my 07aw at after I bought it wasn't running right called them up they came and picked the bike up put it on the dyno it ran 100% better I think there around 400 buck the last time I checked they said that was for 8 hours of dyno time

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
I'm extremely dissappointed. I got the dyno graph and the HP is higher, 118 but only at the top end, it's below for just about the whole graph and I only picked up 1 lb torque from the after cam install to the tune. Do I have any recource, they charged me out the ass too. I feel like going there and freaking on them. Before cams, 111.35 hp, after cams 117.64, after tune, 118.64 w 81.74 torque. They did not record the before cam torque, I'd be interested to know what it was, if I lost torque, I will definitely freak out on them. On the way to the shop the bike was running so good, I was even second guessing doing the cams...
Are you running the stock 53mm TB's or did you bump up to the 58mm TB's.

Like everyone else is saying you should be seeing mid to high 120's for HP and low to mid 80's for TQ.

My current numbers are 127HP and 83TQ (sae corrected, 4th gear pull) with the Stage II cams, SEPRT, 58mm TB's, Tabs and K&N Topless.

I did a Stage I dyno run (same dyno and specs as above) and it was at 114HP and 81TQ with Stock Cams, 53mm TB's, Tabs and K&N Topless.

A different tune as everyone else is mentioning will most likely gain you better results. Best of luck and keep us posted. Beware of "Happy Dyno" numbers just to make the customer happy though...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you running the stock 53mm TB's or did you bump up to the 58mm TB's.

Like everyone else is saying you should be seeing mid to high 120's for HP and low to mid 80's for TQ.

My current numbers are 127HP and 83TQ (sae corrected, 4th gear pull) with the Stage II cams, SEPRT, 58mm TB's, Tabs and K&N Topless.

I did a Stage I dyno run (same dyno and specs as above) and it was at 114HP and 81TQ with Stock Cams, 53mm TB's, Tabs and K&N Topless.

A different tune as everyone else is mentioning will most likely gain you better results. Best of luck and keep us posted. Beware of "Happy Dyno" numbers just to make the customer happy though...
I'm running the stock throttle bodies but I am going to switch back to the stock velocity stacks and swap my 2.5" baffles for 2.0" baffles in hopes to gain a smidge more low end. They agreed to re-tune. They said they might want me to go to the super tuner over the PC-V and I am ok with that if it will give me the best results... The service manager will not be in until next week. I will update you then. If I can get above 120 hp and over 80lb torque, I'll be happy. If you look at the before after cam graphs above (first graph), you'll notice that the HP is less throughout the whole range. It also looks like the bumped the rev limiter to give me some sort of HP increase number. I told them, unless you're drag racing, I'll never ever be in that part of the rpm range of effectively I paid over $1000 for less hp. I filed a complaint with harley and threatened legal action if I do not get satisfaction. They are the ones who recommended the cams in the first place.....

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
I'm running the stock throttle bodies but I am going to switch back to the stock velocity stacks and swap my 2.5" baffles for 2.0" baffles in hopes to gain a smidge more low end. They agreed to re-tune. They said they might want me to go to the super tuner over the PC-V and I am ok with that if it will give me the best results...
Nice job on holding them to their work. That is a lot of money spent and you should be happy with the claimed results.

It will be interesting to see what the next numbers turn out to be.

Keep us posted...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What shop in Pa are you using? The PC5 is part of the problem. My friends 1130 with cams & a pipe, SERT has about 124HP at the rear wheel.

·
Run-N-Gun
267 Posts
:banghead: Shit can the PC-V and go with a Super Tuner, no one that I know of has gotten it to work with the stage 2 cams...
Does anyone know why? I'm just wondering because it seems they do the same things (adjust fuel ratio and/or timing). Is there not enough adjustment in the PCV or something?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Does anyone know why? I'm just wondering because it seems they do the same things (adjust fuel ratio and/or timing). Is there not enough adjustment in the PCV or something?
IMHO the cam profiles are on the edge of being a race only. The PCV just can not keep up with them and it goes into dumb mode..

1 - 20 of 139 Posts