Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

About to send my stock pipes in, to get them V-moded. I'm going with PCIIIR. Seeing it more user friendly. My question is, after all and done where is a good reputable place I can have it DYNO.

PS, will be going topless as well. Thanks

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
BullDawgs, I was on this same search last fall, too, and was willing to take the bike just about anywhere within 300 miles of St. College to get a good dyno tune, which includes Philly, Pitt, Baltimore/Washington/New York and even Cleveland. As you can see by the length of time it has taken anyone to reply to your post, we don't seem to know of anyone who has an established rep and the right dyno.

Other than going topless, you have the same setup I do. I had mine dyno'd at our local dealership up here, and I'm happy with the results (for my kind of riding), but their dyno doesn't appear to be calibrated correctly (reads low) and they don't do the hook-up required to get torque values, so I can't say as I recommend them.

I sure hope somebody joins the forums who can make a recommendation to us. If somebody in the mid-Atlantic States developed some expertise with the v-rod and had a good dyno, I think they'd get ALOT of business.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Val, thanks for the info. I did find a HD that have a dyno. Guess when I'm ready I will have to make an appointment. The current rate is $70/hr with min. 1 hour and according to the SM. Would take up to 2.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Michael, it might be a good idea before going in to check on the type of dyno they use and to make sure they'll give you torque data as well as hp. Kaz, mjw, et al tell me it's a big hassle to hook up the sensors for the torque info on a v-rod, but it's worth paying for it, IMHO, to be able to really know what's going on.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
HP is a function of Torque - simple division will derive torque from HP graph - it the AirFuel ratio that is really important when you are tuning the bike - they need special equipment to read it - probes that they place up the exhaust - with race tuner or ner Power commander that you can tune by cylinder - you neeed to probe each cylinder and baseline it to get optimal performance - val - PM has the Western PA recommendations that you asked for.
Kevin

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
ok, Kev, so what's the formula to do this division?? I think I kept the HP vs. mph graph the dealer here made for me.

Guys, this is what Kevin sent me via PM:

"I know of two very good shops - one is near the route 70 New Stanton exit of the turnpike: Cerinis - they do powercommander as well as race tuner. The second is Gattos in Tarrentum which is North of Pittsburgh - their tuner is Ronny - automotive engineer and former Formula 1 wrench - he is excellent especially if you are doing high performance work - Gattos uses a Factory Pro Eddy current dyno that reads about 15% below the dynojet setup - so if you are seeking bragging rights, the Dynojet setup is more of a vanity dyno - the factory pro setup provides a better tuning instrument - as they can hold loads and dial in the airfuel ration - this is my preference - mine dynoed @ 102 peak stock typically @ 90Hp on those things - of course I have trap speeds at the end of the drag strip that tells me the actual performance of the machine - better than a dyno as it is actual performance under actual conditions."

So, I know it's not SE PA, but these are the first recommendations we've had on the forums from anyone with the right background for anywhere in or even NEAR PA.

I think it's worth the trip and suspect I'll be making a trip down that way once the weather gets a little better...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dyno

Michael,

I also live in the Philly area. (South Jersey) Barb's in Camden County has a new facility with a dyno and they would definitely be able to help you out. You may already know that, but good luck either way.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.