Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is starting up a new shop to work on H/D's and he purchased a new "dyno" and there is a rep with him ALL this week teaching him how to use it. The rep said that what H/D does for a down load with sert is nothing compaired to what is suppose to be done. While he is here, this Saturday he is going to do it right which will take about 5 hrs. I though the bike ran great with the sert, v-mod pipes and K&N filter topless. He said he will make it even better!!! This will all be done as a training for my buddy. Can you beat that?

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
He is mainly inferring that he is going to check and set the settings for probably every 5% throttle position which is a lot of work compared to what most dyno techs do during normal tuning.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
What type of Dyno is he installing? If he's starting a new shop I hope he didn't drink the cool aid and by a DynoJet. If he did go with the DynoJet I hope it's at least the 250i model with the eddy current brake option. Without the brake option those are only good for one thing, posting up inflated HP numbers.

A real brake dyno like a Superflow, Mustang or Land and Sea are the only way to go for the future.

Also, you don't install the Race Tuner, you use it to install different programs or "maps" into your ECM. The SE map files that come with it are quite good and tuned using both road simulations and dyno time. Harley spends a lot of money making their EFI maps accurate, it's only when the dealers muck them up with 30 minute "tunes" on an inertial dyno that things get ugly.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
mjw930 said:
What type of Dyno is he installing? If he's starting a new shop I hope he didn't drink the cool aid and by a DynoJet. If he did go with the DynoJet I hope it's at least the 250i model with the eddy current brake option. Without the brake option those are only good for one thing, posting up inflated HP numbers.

A real brake dyno like a Superflow, Mustang or Land and Sea are the only way to go for the future.

Also, you don't install the Race Tuner, you use it to install different programs or "maps" into your ECM. The SE map files that come with it are quite good and tuned using both road simulations and dyno time. Harley spends a lot of money making their EFI maps accurate, it's only when the dealers muck them up with 30 minute "tunes" on an inertial dyno that things get ugly.
I agree 100% with MJW on this one. The factory has spent hundreds of hours both on a dyno and on the road tunning these MAPs. To get a decent tune at most on a dyno, it has to be a brake dyno and it will take 5-8 hours, no exceptions.

I have hundreds of hours tunning MAPs with the SERT and using the Twin Scan II+ (both v-rods and twin-cams) and will be the first to tell you that it is very time consuming and a precise process to tune the whole power curve for optimal performance and some semblance of fuel economy. I have helped many people on this forum who had a dyno tune for several hundred bucks and ended up with crap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts