Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm not sure if this is a dumb question. Is it a problem to get your bike dyno/tuned before the break in is complete? It seems like your bike would need to be fully broken in before you decided to tune it. I am getting exhaust, intake, and super tuner installed and only have around 100 miles on the bike. Just curious if I will just have to tune it again after the bike is broken in.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
its actually the best way to break in the bike

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I would agree with Santeg, except I found it a boat load more fun to break my bike in in the 17degree PA March weather.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had my mods done at the dealer and had it dyno-tuned at the dealer before I took delivery. It runs great and I have had no issues with the bike. I agree the dyno pulls help seat the rings and make break-in alot less of a headache.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Ride it like you're gonna ride it for the rest of it's life while you're breaking in.

My first 50 miles home was all highway. 50 or under on I-95 during friday rush hour? METHINKS NOT (regardless of how heavily armed I am).

Dump the oil at 500, then beat it like an old rug.

Rick

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Every race motor is broken in on a dyno before delivery. When I worked in the motorshop, breakin was the Dyno. Someone posted a great artical about break in. It happens within the frist few mimuts of running. Here in a nut shell it the reason. Underload like 3/4 thottle and up the heat and presure are greater and keep the rings pressed down and out. This keeps the rings flat on the ring land and tight on the bore makeing everything set quickly. If this opertunity is missed it takes many miles to get it back. This is why some bikes breath oil in the air box incorrect ring seat. That is all break in is on our motors. Everything else is ready for a 9 grand shift.

If something is bad wether you take it easy or run it hard it will let you know.

Sidenote breakin on a pushrod motor with flat tappets (lifters) need to be run about 20 mins at 1500-2500 RPM to get the correct wear pattern. This is with no load or reving the motor. Then its full load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts