Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys , does anyone know what is different on AW to the dx ,before u jump and type ,there is a difference and its about 5 mm i just cant work out where , i have both seats and if u measure them from nose to tail there is 5 mm difference in that the AW is longer ,WHY ,i have the bitchn seat that fits the dx ,but the seat locator is off by 5mm pulling the seat backwards on my AW ,is it the placement of the hinge on the frame maybe , i know in the past i have spocken to people here from the factory ,and i know the frame itself is the same frame ,the airbox is the same and the rear fender is the same ,cos they just grab it out of the bin and paint or coat or whatever ,so whats left that can change the position of the seat and cause the locating pin to be off by 5mm, anything else ?????? ,

brett

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just a stab in the dark but I have read both your threads and can't seem to grasp your problem.

The best I can understand from your posts is that the seat latch or post on the right side of the seat, opposite the seat hinge, doesn't line up with the hole in the seat. If that's the only fitment problem, read on. Otherwise, I apologize for wasting your time.

That post,stud, whatever you call it is not magical and is a threaded stud that is welded from below. It also tends to break off, search threads about it. Mine did and the fix is easy. The stud has a wrench fitting at the bottom-remove it. Take a Dremel Tool and cut the threaded portion off flush with the plastic pillion extension. Figure out which way, forward or back, the stud needs to go-my 07 AW has about 1/2 inch to go forward, more to go backward. Drill a hole-appropriate size for the stainless steel bolt that will screw in to the stud from below. Done!

Enjoy your seat, it looks beautiful! I wish I could afford one for my tired butt.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey capn ,yes u are on the money about the seat post ,lol,thats what i will call it from now on ,i do realise that i could dremal out the hole as i busted the welded in bolt with in months of having my bike or even dremel out the seat and move the plug ,but first i want to know, why is it so ,and did i pay huge money for a something that needs my bike to modded for it to fit, NO i did not , hopefully there is another fix ,and rich at bitchn is working on finding whats wrong

on a side note hang in there capn ,once this is sorted out ,just quitely ,i hear these will be going into the production line and be a lot cheaper ,hopefully within ur reach

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Okay, I understand your pain now-cost of the seat alone is way up there, shipping/duty/taxes to the other side of the planet.......just adds up and at that price it should be perfect!

Then on the other hand, we live in an imperfect world; screws fall out all the time, and something has to give.

You can move the post, relocate the grommet in the seat pan or ship the seat back and have them relocate the grommet for you. My choice at this point would be to move the post. You have clear access to the area and no one will ever see the mod to that area, it's under the seat (and the BEST looking seat I've seen). I just could not wait another minute to get it on the bike.

Please post what you do to get it right, and especially how it sits when it's on the bike. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts