Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Rickaroo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for approx. time that a stock DX will do in a 1/4 mile. Have a guy at work that wants to race me at our local track. He has a 10 sec. vette and I was wondering about what I should be able to run. Have my pipes V-modded, KN filter. Thanks.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Uhhhh... you better run and hide...

With a very light and experienced rider, it'll be somewhere in the mid-upper 11s. 4PLAY (RIP bro) had the fastest "stock" V-Rod (a much lighter B with similar mods) and he ran 11.40 to be the fastest at Midwest Thunder. The rest of us were in the 12s.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Looking for approx. time that a stock DX will do in a 1/4 mile. Have a guy at work that wants to race me at our local track. He has a 10 sec. vette and I was wondering about what I should be able to run. Have my pipes V-modded, KN filter. Thanks.
You'll get smoked.That and most tracks won't let a car race a bike.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
There are numerous other varibles to consider other than just motor mods. I would put it @ 12.5-13 sec.

A 10 sec Vette is fast, the Z06 is like 12/13 off the showroom floor.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
An experienced rider can easily pull mid to low 11's. Harley boosts 11.30 and it's an accurate claim. A high tech air shifter / shift box would guarantee it.
A 10 second Vette? It must have some goodies to say the least. But hey, He's got to do everything right also!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, I have an 2007 Night Rod Special, I have the HD Race tuner, K&N Air FIlter Naked, Fuel Air ratio set up correctly and have spent lots of money to discover the following:

-the Rinehart 2 into 1 pipes, with HPS ceramic race coating inside and out after tunning for correct AF Ratio produced ONLT 103 HP and 71Lbs Tq.

-I switched to the "Ugly Pipe" (Thunder Header) in ceramic black and wrapped in black heat tape. AF Ratio set up correctly and the dyno results are 115lbs HP and 82lbs Tq.

-ALL dyno pulls are at a one to one ratio.

The Rineharts sound nice, mean and loud, BUT the THUNDERHEADERS sound 10x LOUDER and MEANER and it PULLS MUCH harder on the street.

The next move this winter is either the Scremeing Eagle Race Engine with 12.5:1 compression and a stroker kit so I can get in the 1400 cc range or 1500 cc range. And also an air shifter and the bike should be ready for the track next year....

Goal is 150+ HP to the rear wheel normaly asperated. I want solid low tens...

Also, should I go Wiesco or HD for a Race engine ??

Any input or idears on making this bike a low 10 second ride (no turbos, superchargers or nitrus just normal asperated engine componenets) Please let me know, Thanks

ALSO, am a small guy, only 160lbs.... Whatever thats worth...

My budy that owns a HD Dealership said to do a little more to this bike then just by a Destroyer (used on e-bay) and he will get it to spec for the track.

·
Banned
868 Posts

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
dark side rider said:
Hi all, I have an 2007 Night Rod Special, I have the HD Race tuner, K&N Air FIlter Naked, Fuel Air ratio set up correctly and have spent lots of money to discover the following:

-the Rinehart 2 into 1 pipes, with HPS ceramic race coating inside and out after tunning for correct AF Ratio produced ONLT 103 HP and 71Lbs Tq.

-I switched to the "Ugly Pipe" (Thunder Header) in ceramic black and wrapped in black heat tape. AF Ratio set up correctly and the dyno results are 115lbs HP and 82lbs Tq.

-ALL dyno pulls are at a one to one ratio.

The Rineharts sound nice, mean and loud, BUT the THUNDERHEADERS sound 10x LOUDER and MEANER and it PULLS MUCH harder on the street.

The next move this winter is either the Scremeing Eagle Race Engine with 12.5:1 compression and a stroker kit so I can get in the 1400 cc range or 1500 cc range. And also an air shifter and the bike should be ready for the track next year....

Goal is 150+ HP to the rear wheel normaly asperated. I want solid low tens...

Also, should I go Wiesco or HD for a Race engine ??

Any input or idears on making this bike a low 10 second ride (no turbos, superchargers or nitrus just normal asperated engine componenets) Please let me know, Thanks

ALSO, am a small guy, only 160lbs.... Whatever thats worth...

My budy that owns a HD Dealership said to do a little more to this bike then just by a Destroyer (used on e-bay) and he will get it to spec for the track.

buy the destroyer...............................

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
traktime said:
every 25lbs costs a tenth of a second!!!
FWIW, back in the eighties one of the bike magazines did a quarter-mile test with riders of different weights to show the effects of rider weight on times. If I remember correctly there were four different riders ranging in weight from around 120 to 220 pounds. The difference between a 220lb. rider and a 120 lb. rider was a second or better in the quarter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
12.5 -13 seconds would be a good run for this bike....Remember a 185HP GSXR 1k is around 9.8... And weighs about 220lbs less..

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
11.6 @ 114 on my R. I am about 185 lbs or so. If it is a 10 sec. vette, you have no chance.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
scotman623 said:
12.5 -13 seconds would be a good run for this bike....Remember a 185HP GSXR 1k is around 9.8... And weighs about 220lbs less..

more like 165 hp isn't it? GSXR weighs in at 500 lbs or so, Vrods, depending on model weigh in the mid to lower 600's.

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
I posted a similar ? elsewear, but it's worth a shot here too.....Any idea for an '08 STOCK 1/4 mile time? No mods? I know the bigger engine will help once stage 1 is done, but stock EPA stuff might keep it similar???? By the way, Popular Mechanics ran the 1130cc DX against 7 other metric cruisers and other than the Suzi w/ almost 500 addtl. CC's, was the fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile......Here's the link:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4216203.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought this bike cause I love the HD's

If I had a choice for speed, Busa all the way. With the new Kawi, I'd be all over, but my wife wouldn't

So she likes HD, so I bought one. Fast...slow...who cares, Its a fast HD, slow compared to the rest but WTF cares. I dont. The rides fun and respectable.

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
Kaminski said:
I bought this bike cause I love the HD's

If I had a choice for speed, Busa all the way. With the new Kawi, I'd be all over, but my wife wouldn't

So she likes HD, so I bought one. Fast...slow...who cares, Its a fast HD, slow compared to the rest but WTF cares. I dont. The rides fun and respectable.
Hey, I agree for the most part, but I want a fast CRUISING bike...in all likelyhood, I NEVER see myself taking it to the track or anything like that....I'm looking for stock 1/4 mi/0-60. ETA's 'cause I want to see how far I can take THIS engine/bike combo in terms of performance advancement....**** the EPA!. It aint a Ferrari, a Hyabusa, or an actual Porsche.....we know it. But it IS a hell of an engine for a cruiser styled bike.....and I like to GO..........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gripit_n_Ripit said:
Hey, I agree for the most part, but I want a fast CRUISING bike...in all likelyhood, I NEVER see myself taking it to the track or anything like that....I'm looking for stock 1/4 mi/0-60. ETA's 'cause I want to see how far I can take THIS engine/bike combo in terms of performance advancement....**** the EPA!. It aint a Ferrari, a Hyabusa, or an actual Porsche.....we know it. But it IS a hell of an engine for a cruiser styled bike.....and I like to GO..........
Hey I appreciate your comments.. I agree completely. What I hate is when we lose focus.

I own two HD's. There not fast at all, compared to my previous life.

But they are fun. thats it there fun, deal with it, there not fast, just fun, and in my own opinion the DX is an excellent example of improvement in a heavy class of bikes called cruisers.

I face it, and embrace it. We bought a cool fast Harley. But slow in comparison to the competition.

I own two HD's and bought them cause I can and want to. There slow and so is 98% of the population. Have fun, buy a fast bike ONLY if your wife lets you !

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm with Kaminski here, my last two bikes have been HD's, before that was a string of Supersport bikes. Without killing the every day drivability of the DX, or hanging a turbo off the side of your bike, you'll never get close to one of these bikes, even the new 600's make as much, if not more power than our 1130's, it's just what happens when you spin four pistons at 16,000 rpm, on the other side of this, I've seen more than a few "sport bikes" turn into fiberglass covered grenades, trying to ride one for more than an hour at a time is somewhat akin to being caned, and if you've ever tried to sell one vs. an HD.... But again, it's all a matter of opinion and what you like, embrace the fact that you have a bike that's faster than 90% of what you'll pull up next to at a stoplight, and it's cooler that 99.99% of what you'll pull up next to at a stoplight... If Batman or The Duke rode a motorcycle, it would be a DX, I think that's all that needs be said

1 - 20 of 23 Posts