Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OK, these vmod (Cycle Visions) shafts are only good for most 2004 & down (some '04s use '05 shafts), 2005 (different kit), 2006??? & no 2007s are listed due to wide swing arm with longer shaft.
the shafts for a 2007 are different (longer allen type) so I need to drill and tap (not so sure it is strong enough) or have a shaft made that is longer on the ends, then drill and tap. The shaft is made of 1018 cold roll steel. so where do I get one made, got to be somewhere they know what they are doing? and don't rape me!:banghead:

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update!!!!!!!! Cycle Visions

According to the guys at Cycle Visions there is an updated shaft for the 2007! not so much an up date, as they say testing shows the old hex end shaft will work on an '07. I will call Brad in production this week to see how it works, & what to order for the '07 (I don't see how it could work?). the parts guy said to order it as an '07 DX with stock exhaust so it comes with an off-set peg mount to help her foot clear the exhaust. not sure how they keep the shaft from rotating??? he said Brad would know. I did find the hole on top of the trany where the water seeps in to the shaft bore, that was talked about here on the forum. But mine is not drilled all the way to the shaft. I my have to drill it, tap it, and put a lock pin bolt in it to stop it from rotating!

P.S. they said Cycle Visions web site is getting revamped. so soon this kind of info will be up to date again. I just called out of desperation, or I never would have known.

Checking out GRcustoms.com too. they offer the same set up (not sure about the off-sets) but with black powder coating for the DX.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered a drilled shaft kit today from Cycle Visions, after testing foot position with the wife, I opted for no off-set at the pegs. I think it is a matter of passenger preference. Cycle Visions said it was to keep your shoes from burning. I will just install the heel rest from the other vrod I saw in my parts book. at least I won't have to worry about the shaft turning thing. by the way Brad at Cycle Visions said " if the off-set pegs turn the shaft, then there is something wrong, it should not turn". I'll let you know how it goes after I get them on and test ride. PIX to follow. They’ll be here 7/24/07 but I need time to install and test ride. meantime we both got our Dakar jackets cleaned up to go.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick note: not to happy with the shaft. looks like eccentric machining at the bearing end. will have to send this one back. I'm going to look into how this is supposed to work on a '07. I'm not to sure I want to install it at all At this point? my have to wait till they make one specifically for the '07s and not just a mod to the '04.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick note: called CV and they said to send it back, and they will send another shaft. this one must have slipped by QA. Brad said he would check one out, then send it out. got my fingers crossed! hope it was not a bad batch! this one was way off!

·
Slammed
68 Posts
btw: Been doing research on passanger pegs for over a month now. Several companies make this same one, but before buying, make sure to put your girl on the back and test out the distance. Unfortunately her her legs barely reach so I opted for a different type of peg. Also when you stop and put your legs down, check to make sure that her feet don't hit your legs.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VRSCDX_ pegs.jpg

Amen to that! pick your spot and try it first. these are all doable.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
I would love to have pegs in one of those forward lower spots just for an extra place to put my feet on long rides.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MY_VRSCDX said:
got my fingers crossed! hope it was not a bad batch! this one was way off!
:mad: Well forget it! The shaft they sent me to replace the one that was bad was worse than the first one!!!!!!!!! both are going back now! don't bother with the mod to the '04 shaft to fit '05 and up, it does not fit right on the '07 or '08. very poor machining! not concentric and the wrong dimensions.

:banghead: well now what the hell do I do!?!? make my own? I guess?!

UPDATE: there was a change to the "07 swing arm that did not let the shaft fit right. It is being corrected by C.V. for the "07.
also the machine shop C.V. used goofed-up the shaft when they made it! (Yes both of them!)(maybe all of them!) that is being taken care of too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your looking for passenger peg relocation and do not have stock exhaust, check out my gallery. I am selling passenger relocation. In a few weeks, I hope to start working on something for the DXers with stock exhaust.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fxrt2vrscaw said:
If your looking for passenger peg relocation and do not have stock exhaust.
Yup, I looked at yours some time ago, if you look at the PIX above, yours is the red dot. I have stock exhaust and can not use yours, and I do not want 6 pegs (3 sets) is it possible to remove the old pegs when yours are installed? if you do come up with a DX set of pegs let us know, we would all like to see it happen, but, the location of your pegs as-is, would be to high up for the wife. she wants low as possible, or yours would be on the bike now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No need to keep the stock set. I did it this way so my wife could get on the bike easier. However, I will soon have slightly shorter fasteners to offer, which will work without the stock bracket. A DXer already mounted my arms without the stock passenger pegs - aftermarket exhaust.

Take a look at my gallery. I have a shot with my wife on board to illustrate the leg position.

The DX version I am pondering will not require the stock passenger peg bracket to be remounted.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If anyone is interested? I am now making my own shaft ( totally new design ), and will post to a new post with a link here, when it is installed. Should have it sometime around 8/13/07 or so. a good week end job for me to play with. the peg mounts are on order too and should be here at the same time:moon:

update: Ok, I put a few pix in my gallery from after a 220 mile test run. yes the bike is very dirty!

·
Registered
256 Posts
out in left field

I'm no machinest or even mechanicaly inclined, but I was thinking, is it possible to put threads (tool & die) on the inside of where the axel frame swingarm is an make something to to screw in and hold a footpeg? I'm thinking that the bolt would have to be removed to do this. Ed

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
harleymon55 said:
is it possible to put threads on the inside of where the axel frame swingarm is an make something to to screw in and hold a footpeg? Ed
Yes, but you would have to remove the whole swing arm and have it machined.
(custom threads), not just a bottoming tap. then have a custom threaded plug made to fit. it would be a good set up, just to dam hard to do.

click on the link and take the poll please

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
got the shaft I designed back from the machine shop and installed it myself in 15 min (block it up, slide the old one out & new one slides right in)(it is a one part shaft only! not 4 parts like the CV set) & has deep threaded holes to except any size peg mount. fits perfect and is in just the right spot for the wife. no more bitch'in at me now! PIX soon!

make that PIX now! check my Gallery

·
Banned
579 Posts
Ive been playing catch up on this thread. I really hope that it works out, and when you do get it to, it would be amazing if you could help me out with a some sort of set up as well, my girl is 5'8 and there is not enough room for her back there, of course she thinks my tractors sexy, but doesn't like going more than 20 miles right now, cant say that I blame her though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just purchased them and had them installed on my '07 DX. The only problem was one bolt bottomed out and them broke when tried to remove. The bolt was drilled out & removed then the hole was drilled a little deeper and tapped. It fits fine and looks good. The rear end does not have to come off but motor & rear end has to be blocked. Without the broken bolt, installation would have taken an hour.
Thank God I finally found a dealer with a mechanic that knows Vrods.
Ride Smart & Safe......

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Works Perfect!

Ok, I put a few pix in my gallery from after a 220 mile test run. yes the bike is very dirty! this is just the prototype, no end caps yet (on order)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very nice & clean. It looks like they are longer than the ones I put on which would help keep my wifes foot away from exhaust. I'll be checking back to see your improvements.
Really nice.
Bob

1 - 20 of 93 Posts