Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes!!

I'd like to see a bikini half fairing that would surround the upper half of the headlight, and rise high enough to cover the gauges WITH or without the riser. Even a small windshield would be OK, functional or not. Or halfway between the DX cowl and a Ducati Monster bikini fairing. I'm thinking something along the lines of THIS:[/QUOTE]

:them:

I was just about buy the chrome visor for the 2013 V-rod, but the space between it and the bike (spacer/longer bolts required) gave me concerns.

Is the DX fairing hard to install on our F'er? Does it require the entire headlight assembly to be replaced (headlight / brackets/ wires)? Fabrication always makes your stuff unique and more custom, but "plug and play" is so nice and easy.

Ride on....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Last,
The piece of plastic will surely be a bandaid, but thanks for the link.. I'll contact Hanny immediately. That will cure the exposed wires, but still does nothing about that gauge housing poking it's ugly head up.

I'd like to see a bikini half fairing that would surround the upper half of the headlight, and rise high enough to cover the gauges WITH or without the riser. Even a small windshield would be OK, functional or not. Or halfway between the DX cowl and a Ducati Monster bikini fairing. I'm thinking something along the lines of THIS:
Well... So much for that bright idea. The dolt moved to Oregon, and took the fairing with him. Even though he still has the part listed in Alaska. I still like the idea though... I'm not giving up yet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
ATTN: GOGO

I haven't compared the mounting locations closely enough to tell, but the (aftermarket) fairing I put on my DX required that I purchase an A/R/F headlamp to make use of it. Check out the attached photos. The brackets supplied with that kit mounted the teardrop/oval lamp to fit the DX upper triple tree. The cowl was well built, the bracket- not so much so. I had to modify the bracket to suck the cowl up tight to the forks. The end result is clean and mean, but a real pain to get there.

The DX fairing is meant for a 5-3/4" ROUND lamp. The oval/teardrop lamp won't fit. period. The DX fairing mounts a round lamp in a 'bucket" which secures the lamp in the fairing. There are 2 bolts upon which the cowl and lamp swivel as one (for aiming purposes), and the bracket bolts to the front of the upper triple tree. NOT the same bolt centers as the bolt holes on the Muscle, although an adaptor would be easy enough to build, then the whole DX assembly could be used. But I think it would be too far forward of the forks, leaving a gap behind the cowl.

I chose the oval/teardrop shaped lamp because of the ability to easily install HID lamps, and to make it look a little different than the standard Night Rod cowling.

Note in the photos below, the difference in elevation between the stock cowl, and the aftermarket. The headlamp moved down almost 2-1/2". Definitely gave her a little meaner profile.

My gauges now reside in FRONT of the handlebars, but behind the cowling.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
I used a DX fairing and placed a 7" Truck Lite LED in the fairing. I love the look, better then HID conversion and cheaper and better lolling than the HD LED light. Had to do some mods to make it fit but overall I'm very pleased with it. ImageUploadedByMO Free1373722590.814175.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373722601.641831.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373722613.805620.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373722627.083631.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373722640.147062.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373722650.744124.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
F'd up
273 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
VERY F'n NICE!

I used a DX fairing and placed a 7" Truck Lite LED in the fairing. I love the look, better then HID conversion and cheaper and better lolling than the HD LED light. Had to do some mods to make it fit but overall I'm very pleased with it. View attachment 268289 View attachment 268297 View attachment 268305 View attachment 268313 View attachment 268321 View attachment 268329

If you have photos of your brackets, simple instructions on the 7" vs. 5-3/4" conversion, and possibly photos of the "disassembled assembly", please PM me.

I'm looking for an option to cover that ugly gauge cluster, and I'm curious if this setup will work with the simple "block" style bar riser that is so common when using the factory bars. Double thumbs-up!! Wicked sweet setup, and definitely an option worth considering.

I'm wishing now that I would have kept my DX cowl and brackets. I opted for the Muscle headlight and aftermarket cowl on my DX, and now it appears I may need a DX cowl for my Muscle. Does mod fever ever end?!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Here are some pictures of the fabricated bracket to fit the DX fairing. Hope this helps. As far as the LED light there is a forum member that builds the brackets and has instructions on how to install but since I'm on my phone I can't copy and paste. Do a search for 7" Truck Lite LED and it should come up. If you have any other questions pm me. Hope this helps. ImageUploadedByMO Free1373811087.518764.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373811113.208160.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373811130.904468.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373811184.584622.jpg
These are prior to the LED mod, it allowed me to lower the fairing some to sit flush with the cluster. But with that bracket it has 2 mounting positions so you can have it go over your instrument cluster. Ill get more pics of that bracket later and post.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've actually located another DX cowl on the forum, and now my only concern is how much "butchering" had to be done to the cowl to fit the 7" lamp. I don't want to have to repaint the fairing. And I'm also wondering how tightly the cowl fitment is against the forks and gauges after the larger lamp is installed.
Thanks again.
-David

·
Registered
744 Posts
No butchering to the fairing, the light requires some minor sanding down but nothing drastic. Here is the bracket that holds the light inside the fairing. The light fits nice and snug in the fairing. I actually kept the rubber seal. I had the DX bracket machined down to make it thinner so it could fit as close to the trees as I could. ImageUploadedByMO Free1373886700.958949.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1373886715.873529.jpg
I have a post on what I've recently done to my bike and it shows a side view of the fairing and its as close as I could get it to the tree. You might be able to get it a little closer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used a DX fairing and placed a 7" Truck Lite LED in the fairing. I love the look, better then HID conversion and cheaper and better lolling than the HD LED light. Had to do some mods to make it fit but overall I'm very pleased with it. View attachment 268289 View attachment 268297 View attachment 268305 View attachment 268313 View attachment 268321 View attachment 268329

what year DX fairing is that and do you have a riser install or OEM bar and handle placement? i'm liking it :plause:

·
Registered
339 Posts
ANOTHER option.

I got THIS off eBay today for $31.00. It seemed the seller knew little about it, but DID say it was for the elliptical/ teardrop headlamp off a V-Rod.

It will need some work, and I've got to fab some brackets. I'll document and photograph as the project ensues. I'm thinking about possibly making the sides wider to integrate spotlights IN the fairing. I've got a nice set of LED lamps that need a home, and the housings are WAY to ugly to be exposed on a motorcycle.

I MAY wait 'til winter to dig into that project. But I WILL do a "duct tape mock-up" when it get here and get some photos posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Cheap fairing option update.

As suggested in my earlier post, I did a "duct tape mock-up" of the fairing this evening. Note that on the DX in the background isn't a standard DX fairing, so don't compare apples to avocados.

The stock F bars have a 1-3/4" riser block beneath them, and the cowl is still plenty tall to cover the gauges. In fact, it may require trimming to be flush with the top of the gauges. I'm thinking it might be too tall. I may need to move the headlight forward an inch or so, to make the lamp fit in the hole better. That would also bring the top of the fairing closer to the gauges, which is what I really want to cover up.

A friend is thinking about trading in his '13 Muscle for a CVO Road Glide (I think), and I might have a pair of the Burleigh Bars by the weekend. If so, I *might* not want to cover them up!

After close to 1k miles on the "F", I must say the Michelin Scorcher II's are a decent stock tire, vs. the Dunlops that were on my Night Rod. They seem to warm up a little quicker, and feel a bit stickier (better "grab") in the corners.

Anyways... I'm up past my bedtime, and will post this directly. Any feedback would be appreciated. The looks of the Muscle are starting to grow on me, but this might be taking a step in the wrong direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
I really thing that fairing is to upright. It needs to curve over the instrument cluster or at least curve toward the cluster so it flows with the bike better. IMHO I'm not liking it, I think if you work on it it could look better.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Agreed. I'm thinking if I move the lamp forward about 1-1/2", and down about 2"-3", it'll sweep the fairing back further at the top, still cover the gauges, and look a bit meaner with everything lowered.

But don't get me wrong, 97- I'm thoroughly diggin' your setup. I'm still leaning towards the NRS fairing/ Trucklite rig that you're rockin'. This is going to be a winter project for me. My riding season is WAY too short to be doing mods.

My "other" consideration is just going with the same aftermarket cowl that I've got on the NRS, but then it's just same-same. Black V-rods all look the same to most people. And if I do that setup on my Muscle, then they'll start looking the same to ME.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think with the muscle you already have a different look to the NRS. Personalize it to what you like. I don't care if mine looks like anyone else's or not, as long as I'm happy with it. The LED is a huge improvement in visibility and I have always liked the DX fairing so combining the 2 was a ++ for me. I had considered the RRC fairing but wanted an LED light and didn't like the HID on the Muscle headlight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's not like I'm worried about it looking like anyone elses. I just don't want the 2 in my garage to have too many identical components. Especially the cosmetic pieces. I got my NRS used, and it already had the HD LED in the stock cowl. Sold it on the forum last fall, but I'm wishing I would have kept it now.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts