Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Got my DX headlight fairing...and although I can make it fit OK, I want something 'similar' to the RRC unit...but not the same. I'm going to take a mould of the DX unit and pop a fibreglass one out so I can cut it up and make what I want. Does anyone have any style suggestions? If it works out Ok, I might look at making them to sell. Not going to be much (if any) profit...but thinking they ought to be ALOT cheaper than the DX or RRC units currently available.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the DX and RRC surrounds both look very cool.
The F has a bit more of a ....shall I say "boxy" look to it imo so something that has the bottom roundness of the RRC but finishes up top like the '12 DX unit actually could look very cool and blend well.

I am very interested to see what you come up with for sure.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
as ya probably know i have just fitted the R&R , love it but really like the deeper bowl look of the DX fairing more .....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I personally like the look of the RRC but only without the risers. Sorry watto883! Thats the only reason I went with the DX! I wanted a flaring that covered the gauges and riser. If you come up with something that cathes my intrest count me in.
Will this be based on the DX headlight mounting or the F? How many do you plan on making? If everyone is getting one I'll pass lol Yes I'm funny like that. And if possible add some more wind deflection lol You asked!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking on all suggestions.
I like NL Vrod's idea and am going to look into maybe making the top half look 'similar' to the 2012 farings...but with a bottom half wrapping around the headlight like the DX unit. I plan on maybe squaring the bottom half off and maaybe have it finish on top of the tree. I have no doubt it'll take a few prototypes to get something that looks good.
Swimdad...it'll be made to suit the F headlight and mounting setup. I don't plan on making a 'bucket' like the DX unit...just a faring to go over the headlight and somehow mount from behind,
I took a few pic's with the DX faring just 'duct taped' in place for an initial 'look'.
I like the sleeker look of the RRC....but prefer the top of the faring to cover the gauge pod.

·
VRSCF
1,265 Posts
I will keep an eye on this too, Ive always quite fancied one but never 100% on the look/fit of any of the existing options

a bit taller and "fitted better" down the sides so it appears more made for this model would be nice, slightly square but not small/square like the new DX one

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
hey Swimdad .... i NEARLY took the riser out cause i wanted it on the top of gauges , its only an inch ( thats what she says ) BUT i love the riser and its so much better to ride so i happy as it is !!!!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
The hard part to make this work is going to be the "lines."

The A/R headlight lays back to give it that "go faster" look, a cowl will accentuate that look. (The RRC one just makes the bike look "surprised."

However, if you were to incorporate a similar look to the contoured trim visor, maybe to enhance the "recessed" quality of the light in the fairing? It would make the bike look more like it's "Scowling."

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hard part to make this work is going to be the "lines."

The A/R headlight lays back to give it that "go faster" look, a cowl will accentuate that look. (The RRC one just makes the bike look "surprised."

However, if you were to incorporate a similar look to the contoured trim visor, maybe to enhance the "recessed" quality of the light in the fairing? It would make the bike look more like it's "Scowling."

Just thinking out loud.
Yeah...I plan on incorporating/keeping the headlight shape within the cowl.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey HQuick, I currently have the"speed screen" or visor off of a '12 Dx but would love it if it wrapped around the entire light like the RRC unit does. Would be very interested in your design.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Interesting... Good luck, look forward to seeing the finished product !! I havent yet seen one that I love enough to put on...

·
Registered
446 Posts
hey Swimdad .... its only an inch ( thats what she says ) !!!!
If I had a dollar for everytime I heard that! lmao

When I first seen the RRC I wanted to jump on it but I wanted to see it on a couple bikes. Like I said I LOVE the look of that flaring, less a riser. And I know you got a STEAL on it with price and install. So I probably would of installed it on my bike also.

I wanted a flaring on my bike first for looks then for some wind resistance. I DO NOT like the look of any screen/shield on the F. That Fly screen is So So but I'd rather have that DX set up. And this DX flaring offers no wind resistance at all LoL But looks GREAT, IMOP.

Hoping hquick comes up with something I like especially since he's from down under. I'm sure that will discourage most from ordering. I'd like to be able to say "I got this from The Land Down Under! And its the last one" LoL

·
Registered
446 Posts
:them:
Had to reach way back for that one LoL
Oldie but Goodie!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I guess I picked a good week to purchase a Muscle. I'm not a "convert" yet. I've got mad love for my '08 DX. I got my aftermarket fairing from Cult Werks, out of Austria a couple of years ago. To make use of this fairing, I had to revert to the "teardrop" headlamp that the Muscle uses. This relocated my gauge cluster in FRONT of the bars, and lowered the headlight a couple of inches. Definitely gave the bike a more aggressive stance.

I was early-on impressed with the performance and design of the original V-Rod when released, but the silver frame and fugly gauge hovering above the bars always got to me. 'Til they released the Night Rod, I never thought I'd own one. The fairing, although non-functional for wind (or bugs for that matter), did a good job of hiding the gauge cluster.

I bought a used F yesterday. 2011, with 1340 miles. V&H slip-ons, and sissy-bar/luggage rack, and what appears to be a ugly block of polished aluminum for a spacer beneath the bars.

Therein lies my first gripe: The block leaves a portion of the wiring harness exposed below the "shroud" that obviously covered the wiring prior. I'd like to find an easy option to cover the base of the bars/ the instrument cluster, and the spacer block. I sold my old NRS fairing and LED headlamp about a year ago, and now I'm wishing I'd kept it.

I'm not a big fan of the F bars, but fortunately I kept my DX riser and gauge mount, so I'll be able to swap bars- if, and when- I choose. I'm going to subscribe to this thread either way. If it's a slick design, and <$250 w/paint, count me in!

-out.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
hifiho. contact HANNY, he made the aluminum riser under the handle bars and also makes a cover that should have came with the riser to cover the exposed wires at the speedometer, I use to make the covers but gave it all to him so he could do it as a kit, here's my old link to when I did it.....link

·
Registered
339 Posts
Cowl option.

Last,
The piece of plastic will surely be a bandaid, but thanks for the link.. I'll contact Hanny immediately. That will cure the exposed wires, but still does nothing about that gauge housing poking it's ugly head up.

I'd like to see a bikini half fairing that would surround the upper half of the headlight, and rise high enough to cover the gauges WITH or without the riser. Even a small windshield would be OK, functional or not. Or halfway between the DX cowl and a Ducati Monster bikini fairing. I'm thinking something along the lines of THIS:

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
THAT very item is on my local CL for $80. If it's still available, I'll ride my bike over and test fit. If THAT doesn't work, maybe I'll send it to HQUICK, and a "hybrid" could be developed, using both designs. I like the little "air scoop" in the middle of the cowl. That could be enlarged, and filled with a piece of stainless wire mesh, similar to the side scoops on the Muscle. I think it would be pretty easy to build a bracket that mounts to the fasteners that secure the headlight brackets to the upper triple tree, maybe just "sandwiching" the bracket for the fairing above the headlight bracket.

Now the gears are clicking in my head. I need to shut down for the evening. To be continued.....

·
F'd up
273 Posts
That's great hifiho! Looking forward to this modification development.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts