Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone that can measure a 2010 and down inner diameter of the bars. My 2011 is .875 and won't work with the expandable mounts fron Joker as they only open to .850....and that is at the extreme. Trying to determine if HD has changed the bars or if these just wont work on the DX.

Thanks.......

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Oh shit good info I was thinking of ordering there bar ends group buy mirrors... no idea though sorry I cant help :)

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh shit good info I was thinking of ordering there bar ends group buy mirrors... no idea though sorry I cant help :)
The parts are very good quality, and I know I have seen vrods with bar end mirrors, so Im thinking maybe HD is using thinner wall pipe to mfg the handlebars for MY2011 thus making the ID bigger. Joker has adjustable ends from

1" BAR UNIT (p/n 09-300-2): .750" TO .850" - (19MM TO 21.6MM)
7/8" BAR UNIT (p/n 09-300-1): .650" TO .750" - (16.5MM TO 19MM)
FAT BAR UNIT (p/n 09-300-3): .550" TO .650" - (14MM TO 16.5MM)

What I need for my bike is one that adjusts from .850 to .950, that would be perfect for my bike...........hopefully they will make one if HD has changed otherwise maybe they will do a one off for me or maybe a bushing will work, dunno gunna talk to Sharkey tomorrow.

I do know they will look awesome with the diamond grips........

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
I've got some bar end mirrors on my other bike that had the same deal. I just bought some sticky putty from Home Depot, tore off a good strip and wrapped it around the internal bar end mount, then opened it -- squeezing the putty real tight. It's been on there for well over a year and ~ 6,000 miles (including too much rain!) without a problem.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Since every post is better with a pic to go with it... here's my other bike with the bar end mirror on a 1" bar with a mount made for a maximum 3/4" bar + putty.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got some bar end mirrors on my other bike that had the same deal. I just bought some sticky putty from Home Depot, tore off a good strip and wrapped it around the internal bar end mount, then opened it -- squeezing the putty real tight. It's been on there for well over a year and ~ 6,000 miles (including too much rain!) without a problem.
Worst case scenario for me is to machine some bushings and tack them to my bars. I know I can make it work, and I like the mirrors so I am keeping them. However if these mirrors are going to be marketed to Vrod owners they should fit rhe bike without any putty or machining and welding. I thought maybe the bars on my 2011 are different, in which case I will buy a set of older bars, or the blach Hd ones. My hope is that if these arent going towork for the Vrod Joker will mfg some expandable mounts for us.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The black stock replacement bars are part number 56981-07. Does anyone have these that they could measure the ID of? This might be the easiest route for the 2011 owners. Looks to beabout 50.00

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I have a fix from Jokers..... I also want to say they are one of the best companies I have ever dealt with when it comes to standing behind their product..... please let me know if this will work out for the members that have fitment issues....

it looks like the inside piece just needs to be reversed..... if anyone has any questions or issues post-up or send me a PM and I will have Jokers do an exchange with you.... no worries :D

Attachments

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sharkey,

Thanks for getting with Joker on this. I actually considered flipping the expander, but then the bolt was too short. I grabbed a longer bolt today after seeing your post and gave it a shot. It looks like it will work ok, however now it is so hard to turn the bolt the entire assembly wants to turn. The body should have reliefs cut to facilitate a wrench like this picture from Joker.

http://www.jokermachine.com/auxphotodisplay.asp?Aux=1&ID=622

I don't really want to just grab the end with pliers, as it will mess up the aluminum body pretty bad.

Seems like it would just be easier to purchase the black replacement bars for the bike..........if someone confirms the ID for me I will just go that way.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might as well call Sharkey and order them up, looks to be a 2011 handlebar material change from HD so you will be ok. You will be extremely satisfied with these, they look awesome...........

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Sharkey,

Thanks for getting with Joker on this. I actually considered flipping the expander, but then the bolt was too short. I grabbed a longer bolt today after seeing your post and gave it a shot. It looks like it will work ok, however now it is so hard to turn the bolt the entire assembly wants to turn. The body should have reliefs cut to facilitate a wrench like this picture from Joker.

http://www.jokermachine.com/auxphotodisplay.asp?Aux=1&ID=622

I don't really want to just grab the end with pliers, as it will mess up the aluminum body pretty bad.

Seems like it would just be easier to purchase the black replacement bars for the bike..........if someone confirms the ID for me I will just go that way.
Jokers will be glad to send you a set that will work so you dont have to change bars..... they will make it right....

·
Registered
172 Posts
I faced the same with bar end mirrors from a different manufacturer. My solution was to take some of the clear reinforced PVC tubing, split it, and put on the inside of the bars with the supplied hardware running through the middle of it.As it tightens it presses against the inner wall of the bars and provides a secure mounting. I have no vibration issues and it only cost me $2 for a foot of it from the hardware store. No one can tell it is there from looking at it.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I faced the same with bar end mirrors from a different manufacturer. My solution was to take some of the clear reinforced PVC tubing, split it, and put on the inside of the bars with the supplied hardware running through the middle of it.As it tightens it presses against the inner wall of the bars and provides a secure mounting. I have no vibration issues and it only cost me $2 for a foot of it from the hardware store. No one can tell it is there from looking at it.
excellent idea, gunna try this tonite

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
if anyone want to exchange the bar end plugs or get more information they can call Jokers direct and ask for Bryan - 909-596-9690
glad to help out

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts