Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. I just purchased my first Harley and I'm loving it. I'm looking into buying a new exhaust but I have no clue where to start. I would like to make the bike loud real loud but I want to make sure I also get something that will give me better performance. If anyone has any opinions I'd really like to hear what you have to say. Thanks everyone and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
CFR is loud & gives good performance gain without having to change the head pipes. Rhinehart is a similar system except it requires the complete exhaust changout. Similar gains with both. There are several others, but those seem to be the most common.

·
On the dark side
174 Posts
LOVING my Thunderheaders. Add a Powercommander module, a K&N air filter, lose the airbox top and you're set.

A slightly biased view, but man I just love how this thing sounds and runs now!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I believe there are sound files for most of these pipes on here someplace. I know we did one on the CFR & Rhinehart that really showed the difference. CFR was deeper while the Rhinehart had a more highpitched. I've seen a Thunderheader sound clip too as well as V-Mod and Rhinehart 2 into 2 - thats loud!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used basic 2.5" exhaust tips. Look great, sound better, and cost a fortune ($20).

I cant tell you how many people comment on my exhaust setup. Sometime I dont have the heart to tell them that it was 20 bucks and took 10 min. After they dropped 2 paychecks on a brand name...

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
got to go with the blacked out CFR IMHO

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about chrome with blacked out heat shield. can that be done. cfr is it loud and what kind of gains will you get with that exhaust . also will a 280 tire fit without having to change anything?

·
Registered
45 Posts
aortiz1105 said:
what about chrome with blacked out heat shield. can that be done. cfr is it loud and what kind of gains will you get with that exhaust . also will a 280 tire fit without having to change anything?
Nope 260 is as wide as you can go.

·
Registered
324 Posts
07DX said:
I used basic 2.5" exhaust tips. Look great, sound better, and cost a fortune ($20).

I cant tell you how many people comment on my exhaust setup. Sometime I dont have the heart to tell them that it was 20 bucks and took 10 min. After they dropped 2 paychecks on a brand name...
Agree, really effective way to get alot of sound for very little cash.
Sound clip attached to my thread.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66343

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
aortiz1105 said:
what about chrome with blacked out heat shield. can that be done.?
Yes. The CFR unit is just a slip-on exhaust, meaning it attaches to the headers at a pointtowards the rear of the system. You may retain you OE haet shields if you like. I actually bought a chrome set because CFR includes a transition piece to cover the connection and it was chrome.

aortiz1105 said:
cfr is it loud and what kind of gains will you get with that exhaust?
Yes it is loud. People will definately hear you comming/going. Gains are marginal. I havent had mine dyno'd, but i think the average HP rating (with fueler and topless KN) is about 108-110RWHP. Maybe someone else can provide more info here.

aortiz1105 said:
..also will a 280 tire fit without having to change anything?
No. A 260 will fit w/o alterations. Anything else larger will need a new wheel and widened swingarm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts