Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled mufflers of today just to get some idea how much louder this thing is gonna get with new exhaust. Was real surprized how quiet it is without the mufflers.
Is the mid section of the pipe a catalyst? It looks to have some sort o perforated lining such that you would see in a converter or maybe it is just for baffling.

Since I am having so much trouble getting my hands on a header, I was thinking about the supertrapp slip on or the Kerker. Now that I have seen inside the stock mid section and heard how it sounds with no mufflers, I feel that the slip ons would be of no gain to me. Looks like a majority of the restriction in the exhaust is in the mid section.

If any of you dyno gurus or techs have some input please feel free to jump in here and let us get your input.

Sould I stick with my header search or should I settle for the slipons and not worry about the restrive looking mid section.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Dude, look again cause the restrictive baffles are in the end pipes you pulled off. If you want a great slip on that gets rid of the middle section, try a CFR and I'm sure you'll be happy if ya want loud or you can put a baffle in as Nightmare did and it sounds killer. I think most are getting 10 - 15 hp gain with this pipe, plus ypu drop probably 15 -20 lbs!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the baffles in the mufflers

And yeah I am sure they are restrictive, but the mid pipe looks pretty tight to me. As I asked before, Is it a catalytic converter or is it just a noice catalyst like another muffler.

I looked at the CFR and am concerned with the short length. I want loud, but I want loud behind me not right in my ear. The baffle you talk about for the CFR, is it something they offer? They did not volunteer any info about it.

Thanks for the help

Ed

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Fasteddie, thats strange that my midpipe didn't have anything. You could see right through it, just a 2 into 1 into 2 piece of pipe. Actually the thing is sort of an illusion as it really doesn't split the exhaust, but rather gives you that 2 into 1 effect I suppose for scavaging. My understanding is that the 2 into 2 true systems actually cost ya some HP and I assume its because you lose that "collector" effect that is sort of like an "X" pipe on cars.
The baffle for the CFR I saw was in Nightmare's pipe and I believe she got it from Summitt Racing but not sure. You'd have to ask her, but I know it wasn't too expensive or difficult to install and it makes her 2 into 1 sound better than any other I've heard. There is a sound file somewhere on the forum.
Lots of choices. Thunderheader is another option that some really like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts